Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Final Fantasy 9 skill system
Posted 2004-11-20, 06:33 PM
I was wondering if it was possible to make a skill learning system like in FF 9 (ya know, the ability to learn magic and skills through equipping weapons and earning AP)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2004-11-20, 06:53 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "Final Fantasy 9 skill system"
Maybe you should -make- it possible.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2004-11-20, 06:55 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Maybe you should -make- it possible."
Maybe I'd like help to do that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2004-11-20, 08:12 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Maybe I'd like help to do that."
Well, you can do this under the common events tab in the data base.
Use the conditional branch for when a weapon is equipped. Than set a conditional branch(called: ___ AP) and set it so that when the hero's AP is equal to a certain amount, he will learn a certain ability.
Than in the monster battles(im not sure if it works in common event), set it so that you gain AP depending on what attack you do(you can even set it to randomize between 2 numbers) and make it add to "___ AP"
It can than be reset for a new ability via con branch after an ability is set or if you switch weapons.
---
I hope this is what you mean. If it is, I will do a little demo with coding for you.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-11-20, 09:15 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "Well, you can do this under the common..."
something of the sort. I'll test it later or probably after you do it XD but as for the AP giving on monsters, they give a set amount as they do with EXP.

Last edited by KagomJack; 2004-11-20 at 09:27 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2004-11-21, 10:46 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "something of the sort. I'll test it..."
Ok, that makes it a bit easier than.

I'll get too work on it this week.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-11-21, 10:48 AM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "Ok, that makes it a bit easier than. ..."
thanks! I really appreciate this!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2004-11-21, 11:21 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "thanks! I really appreciate this!"
Hmm, AP gains would be difficult to implement, mainly because the only way to tell if someone actually beat the monsters or not is through an event that actually starts the battle in the first place. Random battles can't tell if you ran away or won the fight. Any event that attempts to add EXP based on the battle ending would probably be defeated if you ran from battle, giving you AP anyway...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2004-11-21, 12:33 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Hmm, AP gains would be difficult to..."
BlueCube said:
Hmm, AP gains would be difficult to implement, mainly because the only way to tell if someone actually beat the monsters or not is through an event that actually starts the battle in the first place. Random battles can't tell if you ran away or won the fight. Any event that attempts to add EXP based on the battle ending would probably be defeated if you ran from battle, giving you AP anyway...
Trust me, I know how to avoid this. I will make a variable 'potential AP' which is what is accumulated in battle and than set it to detect if the monsters die, if they do than the AP will be added, if not, the "potential AP" is set to zero again.

I have it all planned out.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-11-21, 02:52 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "Trust me, I know how to avoid this. I..."
When the last monster dies, the battle ends - nothing can be triggered from that point. Truthfully, I don't see a way to detect if that last monster dies or is left behind in an escape.

And, again, if they run away, it'll just add the potential AP gathered so far because it simply has no idea whether or not you ran.

The best way to say this is to look at one-monster fight. You can't tell if that monster is killed or not - if you run, the battle ends without triggering anything, and if you kill it, the battle also ends without being able to trigger any "Monster is at 0 HP" events. You can either start with the AP (meaning that if you run, you still get AP), or you don't give AP at all for that monster.

This will happen with every fight, unfortunately - you just kill all but one monster, and you will have the maximum AP earnable from that fight. Then you can just escape.

Of course, the obvious way to get around this is to disable escaping for the entire game, but that's just annoying to the player.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2004-11-24, 07:54 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "When the last monster dies, the battle..."
Is there a way to get it sort of like in FF9 then? I'll settle for close-to's
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2004-11-26, 02:55 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Is there a way to get it sort of like..."
Hmm, again, I seriously don't see a way to count that last monster as being killed. So any system that works on their "normal" way of assigning AP (per monster instead of per battle) won't work properly.

The only other thing I can think of would be to make AP an extenstion of EXP - that is, if you earn 1050 EXP in a battle, you'll earn (1050 / 100 ~= 10) AP. This wouldn't be too hard, you'd just have to check the difference in your EXP from battle to battle. However, the system has the disadvantage of requiring large amounts of EXP to earn any reasonable about of AP, and you couldn't set it from monster to monster unless that battle disables escaping.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

BlueCube

Posted 2004-11-26, 06:15 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Hmm, again, I seriously don't see a way..."
hmm...well. It was worth asking I guess, then.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2004-11-26, 08:54 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "hmm...well. It was worth asking I..."
Yea, I looked through the events tab and tried many different things and it doesn't work. It was worth a try though. Unless you make a CBS, it would be easy to setup.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-11-26, 08:57 AM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "Yea, I looked through the events tab..."
By the way, how hard would it be to set up a CBS that does that?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2004-11-26, 09:37 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "By the way, how hard would it be to set..."
I gotta way I think might work for what I have interpretted.

First this is what I have interpretted: when certain weapons are equipped, certain magicks etc. can be learned with enough AP for that weapon.

I don't know if it will work so bear with me.

My way needs a lot of switches.

Have a switch for each weapon.
And a common event for each monster.

Make a common event searching for which weapon switch is on.

[This will take some time. Sigh.]

Go to the monster group screen.

[I am assuming you are using Rm2K3]

Create a page for each monster in that group.
And set each trigger to Monster (for that page) Hp is between 0% and 0% (if it won't work for 0 and 0, try 0 and 1%). In the event part, call the common event for the monster.

The common event for each monster deals with the exp given for each monster. Have a set amount of exp given for the monster. The next event in the common event will be:

Conditional Branch --> If Hero Level is at least (second page of conditional branch).
Then if it is, add the skill to that person.
Do this for every person who fought.
You will probably have to do a conditional branch in the If part, to see if the hero can use the skill you want to add etc.

Where am I? I don't follow. Damnit. Right, just a mo...

Here we go again.

The common event for the weapons is needed to know how much exp to add, yes? In fact, you don't need a common event for it.

In the adding exp event, you first of all need to put a conditional branch for each weapon switch being on or not.

So it will be:

Conditional Branch: If Switch0001:Sword equipped is ON
<>(All the mumbo jumbo for adding exp and such - remember to change all the exp's and shit).
Else
<>Conditional branch (for all the different weapons switches).

I'm a thinking now that all you want can be done in one extremely big common event.

Now, have I missed anything?

Oh bugger. You need different exp's for each monster.

I know, copy the common event for each monster, and change the exp's to suit each monster killed with each weapon.

Now, the big question. Did anyone follow that? 'Cos I sure haven't. If you allow me to double post, I will condense it.

Found a little problem...I haven't played FF9 so don't have a damn clue what this system is like. Is it what you want?

Little question...does anyone know if this will work? Blue? Drac? Tyran?

Last edited by Lenny; 2004-11-26 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Found a little problem...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2004-11-26, 09:53 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I gotta way I think might work for what..."
Sorry for the double post.

Condensed version...

When certain weapons are equipped, certain magicks etc. can be learned with enough AP for that weapon.

•Have a switch for each weapon.
•And a common event for each monster.
•Go to the monster group screen.

•Create a page for each monster in that group.
And set each trigger to Monster (for that page) Hp is between 0% and 0% (if it won't work for 0 and 0, try 0 and 1%). In the event part, call the common event for the monster.

•The common event for each monster deals with the exp given for each monster. Have a set amount of exp given for the monster. The next event in the common event will be:

•Conditional Branch --> If Hero Level is at least...(second page of conditional branch).

•Then if it is, add the skill to that person.

•Do this for every person who fought.

•You will probably have to do a conditional branch in the If part, to see if the hero can use the skill you want to add etc.

•The common event for the weapons is needed to know how much exp to add.
In the adding exp event, you first of all need to put a conditional branch for each weapon switch being on or not.

•So it will be:

•Conditional Branch: If Switch0001:Sword equipped is ON
<>(All the mumbo jumbo for adding exp and such - remember to change all the exp's and shit).
Else
<>Conditional branch (for all the different weapons switches).

•I’m a thinking now that all you want can be done in one extremely big common event.

•Copy the common event for each monster, and change the exp's to suit each monster killed with each weapon.

I think that's everything. Doubtless I've missed something though.

Oh oh, I forgot to mention. In the normal monster section, set all the experience given to 0, but remember the values, as you might, say, want them as the experience given for a certain weapon.

Last edited by Lenny; 2004-11-26 at 09:57 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2004-11-26, 11:09 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Sorry for the double post. Condensed..."
Although I hated FF9, I don't think that is possible, although it works in theory. Okay it might work, but why go through all the trouble, it seems pointless. You could change it alot so that when a weapon is equipped the magic attack gets stronger the more it is used with the weapon equipped (maybe too hard to code that to) or how about reverse, like casting magic on weapons, and the weapon gains that attribute after so many casts. this way, it would be a few variables instead of all kinds of switches and monster group stuff. It could just be something like this(maybe)
>>hero casts Fire
>>variable operations:add 1 to [var:XXXX]

or similar, and after, say, 30 times of that; make a common event for each weapon:
If [var:XXXX](same as above) is 30
>>remove equipped sword
>>add flame sword equip
>>end

The only downside I could see in this is that you'd have to make special versions of the magic that you wish to have only go onto your characters (and change the names of them, so your characters don't accidentally light themselves) but it seems easy enough.

Just a thought!
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2004-11-26, 11:34 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "By the way, how hard would it be to set..."
Not hard, tedious work. I have a CBS that is just one monster and one hero and it took me hours to make cuzz u need to set it so that an image will show the hero's HP depending on what it is. This is for every number. I am gonna try something else when I go on my other comp, so I will let you know if it works.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-11-26, 12:39 PM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "Although I hated FF9, I don't think..."
If someone knew how to use Ruby, and had RMXP, then all these hard questions would have an answer, and problems would be no more.

If we all put our ideas into RM2K3, then we would probably solve it, but then would come the giving it to Kag, and messing up things for some reason or another, probably to do with the weapons or monsters or such.

If I get time this weekend, I'll try my idea and see if it works.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny