Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Post horse collars????
Posted 2002-10-23, 06:19 PM
The horse collar brought an efficient way of harnessing horsepower for transport. We believe it had the biggest effect on the course of world history. In the earliest times, horses wore the “throat and girth harness.” As soon as the horse used its strength to pull a load, it would choke. That’s because the harness was around the horse’s throat.
Around 480-221 CE, the horse replaced the ox with the invention of the horse collar. The ox had a horizontal spine with a hump above the shoulders while the horse had a sloped neck with no hump. The horse was transformed into an ox-like animal with the collar. The collar created an artificial hump. It was a band across chest and collarbone, which supported the weight of the load. With only a single horse, a ton and a ½ could be pulled whereas the “throat and girth” harness was strapped onto two horses, and only pulled ½ a ton. This invention allowed horses to pull plows through the moist, fertile river valley soils that otherwise, was too heavy for the oxen. The horses were stronger, and faster than oxen. This created an agricultural surplus allowing the cost of food to go down. The horse collar was affordable and suitable for commoners and citizens. It also permitted horses to pull 6 adults, 300 percent more than the “throat and girth harness” could support. The horse collar enhanced trade and communication throughout the world. A cart could be attached to the harness and goods could be traded. For example: Even though Italy was so much closer to Rome, Rome needed grain from Egypt or else it’d starve. The reason why was Egypt could ship it’s grain to Rome while Italian grain couldn’t be transported by land because there wasn’t a horse harness. Imagine all the money and time that could’ve been saved at that time! The horse collar also led to military improvements and a stronger military for the Chinese Empires. War chariots could be attached to the collar and easily pulled into battle by the horses. The harnessing decreased the confusion and slaughter of cavalry battles too!
The horse collar was too cool to be kept to one group. It was simple and easy to learn. It spread to Europe in the 6th century and all of Europe by the 8th century.
The horse collar was the best invention in history. The horses weren’t ½ choked to death and people could work less and eat more. Wasn’t life sweet!

Don't ask me why I posted this LOL
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
redcomet is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenredcomet is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

redcomet

Posted 2002-10-23, 06:23 PM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
retract
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
redcomet is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenredcomet is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

redcomet

Posted 2002-10-25, 02:01 PM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
Don't ask me why I moved this thread ...

Tkx to Sum Yung Guy (C)
Now RETIRED
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
User Name # 1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenUser Name # 1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

User Name # 1

Posted 2002-10-25, 02:05 PM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
excellent...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2002-10-26, 10:32 PM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
Quote:
Originally posted by Knight-Rider
excellent...
unlike you
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
mightychicken is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenmightychicken is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

mightychicken

Posted 2002-10-26, 10:46 PM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
I knew all that already......if this was a devious attempt to teach me something, it failed.......FAILED HORRIBLY!!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
DKWicked is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDKWicked is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

DKWicked

Posted 2002-10-26, 10:49 PM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
Quote:
Originally posted by DKWicked
I knew all that already......if this was a devious attempt to teach me something, it failed.......FAILED HORRIBLY!!!
poor ms. frizzle
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
mightychicken is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenmightychicken is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

mightychicken

Posted 2002-10-26, 11:20 PM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
what.......that red haired teacher from the magic school bus? gee......I havent read any of those books in years.....gosh, I miss 'em~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
DKWicked is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDKWicked is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

DKWicked

Posted 2002-10-27, 08:06 AM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
Quote:
Originally posted by DKWicked
what.......that red haired teacher from the magic school bus? gee......I havent read any of those books in years.....gosh, I miss 'em~
and they miss you too. It's time to go back home, where the heart is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

mightychicken

Posted 2002-10-27, 08:27 AM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
and where the hot chocolate lives.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2002-10-27, 04:06 PM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
that would bring up interesting philosophical questions......like......can I just scoop some hot chocolate out of the living hot chocolate? would it object? would the little bit still be alive?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

DKWicked

Posted 2002-10-28, 07:52 PM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
Je vous espère brûlure dans l'enfer vous foutu nègre de chienne.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tacoX is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentacoX is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tacoX

Posted 2002-10-28, 08:29 PM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
redcomet, Please stop with your bullshit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wiccan][V][asta enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWiccan][V][asta enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wiccan][V][asta

Posted 2002-10-28, 09:34 PM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
that wasnt very nice, taco......tsk tsk
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

DKWicked

Posted 2002-10-29, 05:58 AM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"
ill take 20
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPenguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Penguin

Posted 2002-10-29, 06:37 AM in reply to redcomet's post "horse collars????"

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome