Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Life Discussion

The "Joys" of Customer Service.
Posted 2009-06-03, 10:54 AM
I had a customer last night who came up to the service desk with an issue regarding some broccoli she had purchased. The broccoli was on sale for 3 for $5.00. She had only purchased one, and it rang up at $1.67, which is the correct price.

Her issue was the fact that there was three stalks of broccoli grouped together (like so), attatched with a rubber band. She was insistant that it should have rung up at $5.00 instead of the $1.67. Try as I might, I could not get her to understand that since they were banded together it was only considered one unit of broccoli, which was indeed only $1.67. I even told her that I wasn't worried about changing the price, and was willing to let her have them at that price (which is the correct price...).

After deciding that she did not want the broccoli at the correct price, she decided to go over and look at the sale sign. She came back shortly and said "I believe the key word on the sign is that it says 3 for 5 each. Why is the word each in there?" to which I replied "...Because each unit of broccoli is 3 for 5." And then she gave me a blank stare, and I proceeded to try to explain to her again that because the broccoli was banded together it was only considered one broccoli, regardless of how many were in the bundle.

And again she didn't understand it...

By now I had decided to just charge her what she felt she should have paid for the veggie, so I rang her up for two more broccoli's, which would have made up the difference. She then threw a mini fit because "That means I'll be charged for, oh my goodness, nine broccoli!?"

She wanted me to adjust the price that she paid for it to the 5 dollars, but I told her that my computer does not allow me to change the price of an item to a higher price, only a lower price. She was suprised at that. It is, as she put it, "The way of the machine".

In the end I key dumped (created a generic purchase) $3.34 under produce, and she paid for it that way. Before she left she told me that she would rather be overcharged than undercharged, and I told her that she's probably the only one I'll ever meet like that.

And then she left.

And I wanted to slam my head against the counter, but alas, I had more customers to help. And the Service Coordinator laughed at me.

And that is all.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2009-06-03, 11:00 AM in reply to Jessifer's post "The "Joys" of Customer..."
What a tool. Was she one of those people that just like to randomly argue about shit and try to prove they are right in one way or the other? Or was she just generally confused and stupid, the type that you wonder how the function through their normal daily lives?..

Sucks to hear, I would've just laughed it off either way.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-06-03, 11:03 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "What a tool. Was she one of those..."
The latter.

And I would have laughed if it hadn't just dragged on...and on and on...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2009-06-03, 11:10 AM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "The latter. And I would have laughed..."
You should've messed with her atleast. I would've called the entire staff to the counter and make a huge scene about it and get everyone to play along and act freaked out about the brocoli and make her feel like a genius when really you guys just get the last laugh. It's like the movie Waiting, the bitch gets her food messed with and she feels like the shit when really she just ate pubes and dandriff.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-06-03, 11:27 AM in reply to Jessifer's post "The "Joys" of Customer..."
Jessifer said: [Goto]
I had a customer last night who came up to the service desk with an issue regarding some broccoli she had purchased. The broccoli was on sale for 3 for $5.00. She had only purchased one, and it rang up at $1.67, which is the correct price.

Her issue was the fact that there was three stalks of broccoli grouped together (like so), attatched with a rubber band. She was insistant that it should have rung up at $5.00 instead of the $1.67. Try as I might, I could not get her to understand that since they were banded together it was only considered one unit of broccoli, which was indeed only $1.67. I even told her that I wasn't worried about changing the price, and was willing to let her have them at that price (which is the correct price...).

After deciding that she did not want the broccoli at the correct price, she decided to go over and look at the sale sign. She came back shortly and said "I believe the key word on the sign is that it says 3 for 5 each. Why is the word each in there?" to which I replied "...Because each unit of broccoli is 3 for 5." And then she gave me a blank stare, and I proceeded to try to explain to her again that because the broccoli was banded together it was only considered one broccoli, regardless of how many were in the bundle.

And again she didn't understand it...

By now I had decided to just charge her what she felt she should have paid for the veggie, so I rang her up for two more broccoli's, which would have made up the difference. She then threw a mini fit because "That means I'll be charged for, oh my goodness, nine broccoli!?"

She wanted me to adjust the price that she paid for it to the 5 dollars, but I told her that my computer does not allow me to change the price of an item to a higher price, only a lower price. She was suprised at that. It is, as she put it, "The way of the machine".

In the end I key dumped (created a generic purchase) $3.34 under produce, and she paid for it that way. Before she left she told me that she would rather be overcharged than undercharged, and I told her that she's probably the only one I'll ever meet like that.

And then she left.

And I wanted to slam my head against the counter, but alas, I had more customers to help. And the Service Coordinator laughed at me.

And that is all.
I like this version better. Made me lol. And /headdesk.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-06-03, 11:38 AM in reply to Jessifer's post "The "Joys" of Customer..."
Jessifer said:
Why is the word each in there?" to which I replied "...Because each unit of broccoli is 3 for 5."
If "3 for 5 each" was on there, then whoever made the sign screwed up. It should be 3 for 5, 1.67 each, or something like that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2009-06-03, 11:39 AM in reply to Jessifer's post "The "Joys" of Customer..."
I hate that kind of customers.
I don't mind it as much if she's the only one I need to serve for that half an hour, but some customers would do that to you when there's a huge lineup behind her. I mean, just get your change and go home..

There was this one time a customer, a woman in her 40s, was telling how we spelled "Rappini" wrong on the price sign (It's also called Broccoli Rabe, Rapini, Broccolette.. Rapini is what it is originally known as).

So she told me that it's only one P. I was being friendly and told her the different variations of name of this produce, and I got a glare of disbelief. At the end she sort of concluded that she was right and we should change the sign and educate the staff.

How old was that customer you faced anyway, Jessifer?

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2009-06-03, 11:52 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "If "3 for 5 each" was on there, then..."
Willkillforfood said: [Goto]
If "3 for 5 each" was on there, then whoever made the sign screwed up. It should be 3 for 5, 1.67 each, or something like that.
That's what I thought, but decided that it probably made sense somehow and didn't say anything.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-06-03, 11:55 AM in reply to Senesia's post starting "I hate that kind of customers. I don't..."
She had to have been in her fourties.

Willkillforfood said:
If "3 for 5 each" was on there, then whoever made the sign screwed up.

The sign isn't wrong. It's all in how you interpret it. I read "3 for 5 each" as one is on sale for 3 for 5, or 1.67. Maybe it's just because I work in customer service and actually know how to read signs. /shrug
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2009-06-03, 11:55 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That's what I thought, but decided that..."
"...Because each unit of broccoli is 3 for 5." That explanation doesn't exactly clear up any amibguity, but any person that's not retarded knows what those deals mean.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2009-06-03, 12:32 PM in reply to Jessifer's post "The "Joys" of Customer..."
I know how you feel. You should see some of the shit I go through at Blockbuster and Cracker Barrel. :[
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2009-06-03, 12:37 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "I know how you feel. You should see..."
3 bundles for 5 dollars, problem solved. The sign is confusing, but not to the point where explaining it for 3-4 seconds couldn't fix the confusion.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-06-03, 06:06 PM in reply to Jessifer's post "The "Joys" of Customer..."
Bah. I get stupid things (maybe not THAT stupid) like that all the time from tourists over here.

My favorite random moment was a phone call that went like this

*Phone rings*
Desk: Hello, tourist hotel. How can I help you?
Man: Can I have peanut butter?
Desk: Well, some of our rooms have mini fridges, so you could keep peanut butter in there...
Man: No, I mean can I have peanut butter.
Desk: ...well, peanut butter is not included with the room...
Man: No. Can I eat peanut butter?
Desk: (Obviously confused by now) Peanut butter is not included in the rooms, but there is a CVS down the street you could buy some from...

This went on for at least a minute before the front desk guy finally asked who he was calling for. The man was diabetic and wanted to know if he could eat peanut butter. Apparently one of the guests gave him the hotel number to call, but we had no idea which guest it was and he didn't have a name. Lol.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-06-04, 04:51 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Bah. I get stupid things (maybe not..."
Heh. Cool.

D3V said:
3 bundles for 5 dollars, problem solved. The sign is confusing, but not to the point where explaining it for 3-4 seconds couldn't fix the confusion.

Seriously, I tried explaining that to her. Her response was "Well there are three broccoli in a bundle, so it should be 5 dollars." And when I tried to explain to her that it was only considered one bundle, she just kept on going in circles.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2009-06-04, 05:51 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Heh. Cool. Seriously, I..."
Someone obviously wanted to pay for more.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2009-06-05, 01:54 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Someone obviously wanted to pay for..."
Next time her see here, I'm going to take a "bathroom break"...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2009-06-05, 05:51 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Next time her see here, I'm going to..."
There's a customer at Blockbuster I do that with. Can't stand that ungodly obese bitch.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2009-06-06, 08:08 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "There's a customer at Blockbuster I do..."
There's an old gay guy who uses an oxygen tank who flirts with all of our male employee's. We call him Oxy. It's funny, whenever he's in the store certain people are suddenly MIA.

He's actually quite nice. I'm usually the one that waits on him. He habitually buys two Cashwords.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2009-06-08, 08:50 AM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "There's an old gay guy who uses an..."
Jessifer said: [Goto]
There's an old gay guy who uses an oxygen tank who flirts with all of our male employee's. We call him Oxy. It's funny, whenever he's in the store certain people are suddenly MIA.

He's actually quite nice. I'm usually the one that waits on him. He habitually buys two Cashwords.
Sometimes I feel weird about certain people. Be it this guy or that lady you previously talked about, do they do these on purpose, or are they just behaving normally and are oblivious to how other people might perceive them as?

I've dealt with customers who just talk nonsense and act like they are superior and have the rights to do anything.. when they really don't. The only right those customers have was to not buy from the store.

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2009-06-08, 02:25 PM in reply to Senesia's post starting "Sometimes I feel weird about certain..."
Senesia said: [Goto]
The only right those customers have was to not buy from the store.

I agree 100% with this.

Anyway. Yesterday sucked. First there was some Cat and Dog Repellant (smells intensely of Garlic) that broke open, I got it all over my hands and dumped it out in our supply closet, and followed that with a gallon of bleach, and then used some air spray to try to get rid of that smell. The rest of the night the service desk, the supply closet, and the hallway leading to the supply closet, and my hands smelled of garlic. Horrible.

Later on, I was giving the Service Coordinator (SC) his break and I got a call warning me that the "Short Changer" was in one of the cashier's lanes. I like...ran to her lane, because that guy pisses me off like no tomorrow. He'll come through a cashier he's never been to before, buy like one or two items and then pay with a $50 bill. And then as soon as the cashier counts out his change he'll either question the bill that he gave him ("Didn't I give you a $100 bill?") or will instead decide to use a larger bill to pay so he can keep the smaller bill, and will confuse the cashier to the point where he ends up walking off with an extra $100. He tried that with me once, I flat out told him that if he wants different change he can go to the service desk. I hate him. A lot.

Anyway, when I got there the cashier was at the point where she was counting out the new change, and handing the money to him. I stepped in and grabbed the edge of the money myself and told him that he needed to let go so I could double count the money. He flat out refused to let me count the money, and even insisted that he was still short $10. I told him to let go of the money (I still had a hold on the money too) again so I could count it and make sure, and he still refused, and insisted that he get his other ten dollars. By then the SC showed up and said that we had to audit the drawer to see if it was over or short, and I let go of the money at that point because the guy was getting angry, and when the SC went to get the audit machine, the guy started walking out, saying that he was just going to leave and live with being shorted $10. I tried to stop him, but he just kept on walking.

The drawer ended up being $90 short.

And I gained +150 rep with my co-workers. They said they didn't know I could be so authoritative and that I handled it incredibly well.

My heart was beating like crazy though, and my hands were shaking. Lol.

Whew.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer