Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Lightbulb Text-based Game Idea. Isn't it Devious?
Posted 2008-11-27, 09:24 AM
I'm working on a Text-based game using RPG maker VX. I want to see everyones ideas on how to make this better/easier on my computer. So far, its pretty tough and tedious work to make each room. and the battle system isn't that great.

Movement / Rooms
To make the movement, i'm using the regular character, but everytime he moves. He goes into a different room. To move around, you do not use the arrow keys, you have to go into the menu, and choose move. Then, you have to input a number for the way you want to go. North, South, East, West, Up, Or Down.
The Rooms are created using a single event, you have it triggered on event touch. Then, when you move, you trigger the event to begin, and it starts by telling you what room your in, and how many monsters/items/people there are in the room. (which is changed by a variable so you can find out again) Then, it goes to the next page of the event, which shows the reccurring menu (with a label so you can go back to it) which asks if you want to attack, pick up/use an item, or talk to the people there.
Battle System
The battle system is very easy actually, make a common event, that first checks if your a certain strength or lower. If your too high of strength the creature runs away. Now, if you have the adequate strength then the battle begins by setting up the creatures health and your health. After telling you the health of the creature, it asks you what do you want to do. You can attack or run. Now, if you attack. It uses and algorithm based on your strength and agility againts the creatures defense and agility to see if you hit. If you do, the strength is subtracted from the defense of the creature, and you hit the remainder. Which then, lowers the Health of the creature. Then, the creature hits a set amount. But, he can miss if you have a high enough agility level. Because all that is rolled is the agility, to see if the creature hits or miss. Then it checks if either players health is 0 or lower, if not it starts the Loop over. If so, it carries on a series of events for each.
If the creatures health is 0 or lower, it proceeds to give you experiance, loot and then go back to the menu screen, but the room will have 1 creature less than before. If you die, then it proceeds to teleport you to the death area. (more on that later)
Problems
As i continue to make rooms, i'm afraid that there will be a lag. I haven't gotten to that yet, but i belive that can happen. And also theres the arrow keys, if you move, you can get out of a lot of things quickly.

So, how can i stop the lagg.
and
How can i disable movement?

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-11-27, 08:29 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post "Text-based Game Idea. Isn't it Devious?"
Wolfturn said: [Goto]
...So, how can i stop the lagg.
and
How can i disable movement?

A1: When RMVX Complies games they are far faster then when you test.

A2: Easily, block the character and make the character animation only have one picture.

If you want to send me a copy of the game, I could take a look at it and do what I was talking about because I'm a little unsure of what is actually happening with the game.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-11-30, 04:30 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "A1: When RMVX Complies games they are..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
A1: When RMVX Complies games they are far faster then when you test.

A2: Easily, block the character and make the character animation only have one picture.

If you want to send me a copy of the game, I could take a look at it and do what I was talking about because I'm a little unsure of what is actually happening with the game.
Ok, i e-mailed you a copy of the game which i uploaded on megaupload.com. i only used the e-mail feature.
I uploaded/sent it to my e-mail, then fw to you. If anyone else needs/wants a copy Feel free to ask.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-11-30, 08:57 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Ok, i e-mailed you a copy of the game..."
Ok, i e-mailed you a copy of the game which i uploaded on megaupload.com. i only used the e-mail feature.
I uploaded/sent it to my e-mail, then fw to you. If anyone else needs/wants a copy Feel free to ask.

I've been looking at the game, and there's really nothing yet. So I'm not sure what I could do with it. I do program in Ruby nowadays, if you didn't know that. I heavily suggest using Ruby for this type of game to make nice random systems, that are far stronger/faster(in creating and in output) in Ruby then trying to event-them :D.

To add on to that, I saw the rat fight. The system for fighting is weak. It will need to be heavily worked on.

============---o---============

Here's how to improve the system.

* Weapons defined under variables defined under common events.
*- Basically,
[WEAPON NAME]->NEXT
{VARIABLE NAMED [WEAPON NAME]}->NEXT
(COMMON EVENT WITH A BUNCH OF IF/ELSE STATEMENTS CHECKING AGAINST VARIOUS WEAPONS COMBINED WITH THE STRENGTH OF THE USER)->NEXT
(COMMON EVENT AGAINST MONSTER USE (COMMON EVENT BEFORE THIS ONE) CHECK IF STRONGER OR NOT, IF OKAY, RETRIEVE WEAPON VALUE WITH STRENGTH FOR OUTCOME. IF MONSTER WILL BE DEAD, ONE MESSAGE, ELSE, ANOTHER MESSAGE, CONTINUE FIGHT.)

If you honestly want a good system, you will have to understand the nonsense I wrote above. I'm going to go ahead and just make two weapons to show you how much work it takes.

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2008-11-30 at 09:06 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-12-01, 08:20 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I've been looking at the game, and..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
I've been looking at the game, and there's really nothing yet. So I'm not sure what I could do with it. I do program in Ruby nowadays, if you didn't know that. I heavily suggest using Ruby for this type of game to make nice random systems, that are far stronger/faster(in creating and in output) in Ruby then trying to event-them :D.

To add on to that, I saw the rat fight. The system for fighting is weak. It will need to be heavily worked on.

============---o---============

Here's how to improve the system.

* Weapons defined under variables defined under common events.
*- Basically,
[WEAPON NAME]->NEXT
{VARIABLE NAMED [WEAPON NAME]}->NEXT
(COMMON EVENT WITH A BUNCH OF IF/ELSE STATEMENTS CHECKING AGAINST VARIOUS WEAPONS COMBINED WITH THE STRENGTH OF THE USER)->NEXT
(COMMON EVENT AGAINST MONSTER USE (COMMON EVENT BEFORE THIS ONE) CHECK IF STRONGER OR NOT, IF OKAY, RETRIEVE WEAPON VALUE WITH STRENGTH FOR OUTCOME. IF MONSTER WILL BE DEAD, ONE MESSAGE, ELSE, ANOTHER MESSAGE, CONTINUE FIGHT.)

If you honestly want a good system, you will have to understand the nonsense I wrote above. I'm going to go ahead and just make two weapons to show you how much work it takes.
Well your right, its just concept at the moment. The way the battle system is laid out sounds great, just long like you said. I can pretty much understand what you wrote above, so that means i have hope . If i see that its too much work, i'll set my eyes on learning ruby.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

I'm also guessing that because you've actually payed attention to this, all of this text-based game idea is possible? (has anyone ever made something like this? I've been looking around and i can't find)

Last edited by Wolfturn; 2008-12-01 at 08:22 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-12-02, 12:47 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Well your right, its just concept at..."
Well your right, its just concept at the moment. The way the battle system is laid out sounds great, just long like you said. I can pretty much understand what you wrote above, so that means i have hope . If i see that its too much work, i'll set my eyes on learning ruby.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

I'm also guessing that because you've actually payed attention to this, all of this text-based game idea is possible? (has anyone ever made something like this? I've been looking around and i can't find)

Yes, I'm sure at least one person has designed a game like this with RPG Maker at some point. Or, at the least, they thought about it, started it, and gave up.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy