Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Dungeons and Dragons
Posted 2008-09-07, 11:30 AM
A buddy of mine invited me to go to his friends house with him, and play some DND a few weeks back. We went again last night, had alot more fun this time as opposed to my first visit. We are playing some campaign about going to the wedding of my sister, and the elves and dwarfs have some serious tension going on, and there are some sort of holes that we understand to be from giant beetles. These holes seem to be causing disappearances, which include my sister vanishing.

Wondering what anyone played in their hayday? Im playing a...

devoted dwarf cleric
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-07, 04:21 PM in reply to Kazilla's post "Dungeons and Dragons"
I prefered to be the DM because I liked doing the story...

I only ever played with my brothers though. And we used the starter character peoples that came with the box set thing...

Lidda, Regdar, Tordek, Mialee, Jozan, and the other dwarf... I think there's more, I just can't remember all their names, it's been a few years...
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2008-09-07, 04:39 PM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "I prefered to be the DM because I liked..."
i think being the DM would be fun. Recently i've just started being able to actually picture what im hearing and or reading. that has been my biggest downfall with english. interpretation. i think dnd is actually helping me. i think once i really start to understand the game and we finish this campaign i could start to right my own adventure it would be alot of fun
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-07, 04:51 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "i think being the DM would be fun...."
I'm tellin' ya, a good DM should be telling you what you would be smelling, seeing, hearing, feeling, tasting... all that business. EXAMPLES: You smell the fresh mountain air, mixed with the crisp scent of the local sunflowers; you see a corpse in the northwest corner of the room, and you notice the maggots writhing about the carcass. It isn't fresh...; your party hears a repeated heavy thud from down the dark hallway, getting progressively louder...; You blindly enter the room, and you feel drops hit the back of your neck and quickly run down your back...; (Regdar) hastily drinks the vial. He comments that it tastes of rotting flesh, clean dirt, and honey...;

Obviously taste is the hardest to explain, but a good DM can pull it off. It also helps if he describes stuff you have experienced so you can more easily identify with it.
R.I.P
Pontiac

[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2008-09-07, 05:27 PM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "I'm tellin' ya, a good DM should be..."
some of the things you stated were like... you are here, and i am making you go here. our current DM is keeping it open, allowing us to do pretty much w/e we want, and go where we want, and talk to the bad guys and get thrown in jail cause the other dwarf is a fkn idiot stuff
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-07, 07:16 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "some of the things you stated were..."
I play DnD a lot with my friends. I am a half-elf ranger most of the time. We go on some pretty wild missions as well. Recently though, I was a Human Monk.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-09-07, 09:42 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "some of the things you stated were..."
Those were only for instances... I would not be a very good DM if that was all I said, and didn't let them choose their actions. :P

As far as your DM goes, it sounds pretty fun. I would say we should start something here, but it would get way too confusing too fast...

I miss it sometimes... but my brothers are all scattered about, and taking some time to chill on a game like this usually ends after an hour with fighting... sometimes physical...
R.I.P
Pontiac

[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Draco2003

Posted 2008-09-08, 03:44 AM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "Those were only for instances... I..."
Sence im still fairly new to this game, I kinda wrote up a cheat sheet for my character, quick reference to my abilities. You guys might already do this, or already know of this, but... those damn character sheets just dont allow enough information to be given. Here's my characters abilities.

Stunned: combat advantage granted, actions can’t be taken, and you can’t flank an enemy
Decomposition:
Weakened: the target’s attacks do ½ the normal damage.

AT-WILL POWERS

Lance of Faith Range 5 Target 1 Standard Action
divine implement radiant
Attack: 1(D20) + Wisdom Vs Reflex
Hit: 1(D8) + Wisdom
Effect: Ally within sight is granted +2 attack on next roll.

Sacred Flame Range 5 Target 1 Standard Action
divine implement radiant
Attack: 1(D20) + Wisdom Vs Reflex
Hit: 1(D6) + Wisdom
Effect: Ally within sight is granted choice of +3 Temp hit points or a saving throw.

ENCOUNTER POWERS

Cause Fear Range 10 Target 1 Standard Action
divine fear implement
Attack: 1(D20) + Wisdom Vs Will
Effect: Target moves its speed + casters charisma modifier away from you, avoiding unsafe squares and difficult terrain. Provokes opportunity attacks.

CD: Divine Fortune Range 0 Target Self Free Action
divine
Effect: +1 to next attack roll

CD: Pelor’s Radiance Range 5 Target Blood Minor Action
divine implement radiant
Hit: 1(D12) + Wisdom Modifier
Effect: Target is stunned until the end of clerics next turn

Healing Word (2) Range CB5 Target 1 Minor Action
divine healing
Effect: Target can spend a healing surge + 1(D6) hit points

DAILY POWERS

Beacon of Hope Range CB3 Target Allies Standard Action
divine healing implement
Hit: The target is weakened (end targets next turn)
Effect: Teammates within burst are granted +5 hit points. My healing abilities are granted an additional +5 hit points per heal. (end: encounter)

PASSIVE POWERS

Healer’s Lore
Effect: Add Wisdom Modifier to any healing ability that possess the healing keyword.

Ritual Casting
Effect: Cleric’s understand the ritual feat. They possess a ritual book and are granted Gentle Repose and 1 other Level 1 ritual.

Implement
Effect: Wielded holy symbols grant bonuses to attack and damage rolls that the cleric uses. As well as paragon path powers.

Last edited by Kazilla; 2008-09-08 at 03:48 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-08, 06:47 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "Sence im still fairly new to this game,..."
DND is not bad. I haven't played it in like 10 years, but I had good fun back then.

Kazilla, be careful. Starting DND is like taking the step to the edge. Just a little shove, and you'll fall irreversably into the pit of nerddom. If anyone asks you if you want to go LARPing with them, USE MACE, and I don't mean the kind with spikes on it.

NOT

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-08, 06:56 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "DND is not bad. I haven't played it in..."
im a secret nerd whos powers are only possessed during nights alone or when im accompanied by tutti ! nah, actually i know how retarded it sounds when your 20 years old and are stating your playing dnd... the only thing that makes me feel better is that the friends i play with are like 34 and up lol... the only one i cant understand is the kind of kid you are describing. we could go to eat at like arbys or something and he will be like, BAM Level 9 fireball oh your burning quick you better heal... lol
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-08, 07:00 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "im a secret nerd whos powers are only..."
DND is actually aimed at older people, I think. It's a pretty complicated game, and most kids probably wouldn't understand it. I'd say most of the people I've ever heard playing it were adults. Even when I was playing it with my friends, we never played by the rules. The DM would do what the DM does, we'd do what the players do, we'd roll dice and stuff like that, but we didn't follow the rules hardcore. It was still fun.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-09, 05:12 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "DND is actually aimed at older people,..."
I'm 15 and have played since I was 12. The people I play with though are in all their schools gifted programs and highest classes so I am not playing with idiots, we actually possess the ability to handle the rules.

I know this is most likely a good thing but I don't know what LARPing means. What does it mean.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-09-09, 05:18 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I'm 15 and have played since I was 12...."
Live action role playing. You basically dress up as knights and wizards and pretend-fight.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-09, 05:41 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Live action role playing. You..."
lol im shocked you know this KA! yea, the moment they start LARPing, is the moment i stop playing... the first night i asked the DM you going to wait a couple sessions before you hit me with your robe and staff of glorious reprieve?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-09, 05:50 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "lol im shocked you know this KA! yea,..."
I only know it because some dude here at work apparently used to do it. I've since seen videos on youtube of it and it scares me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-09, 05:52 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I only know it because some dude here..."
when my friend initially asked me to play i laughed at him. because the stereotype for DnD is LARPing. I wanted nothing to do with that, i was sure teh game was fun but i wasnt about to prance around the park in a cape with 4 older men...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-09, 07:37 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "when my friend initially asked me to..."
To most people I know, DnD is a pointless game that is just a bunch of people sitting around rolling die. They don't realize the amount of imagination and concentration that go into a game such as DnD. We actually made fun of that at my last session. When one of my friends needed a heal, our cleric stated that he would be glad to but first he must go off in a corner and roll some die to check how much he can heal for. That is what most people think DnD is all about. Rolling die.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2008-09-09, 11:38 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "To most people I know, DnD is a..."
It is sad that most people don't lack the mental capacity to believe something as simple as telling people their surroundings and letting them decide what to do and how to act is entertaining...

Also, I have to disagree with you guys on LARPing... I have never done it, but it looks to be fun, should the right amount of effort go into it. Anyone ever go to Medieval Times or the Renaissance Fair? The only thing that people usually see is the 45 year old fat man in a bathrobe claiming to be the Wizard of Hemloch threatening to take your 'essence' and what have you. The good LARPers are the one's that hide it, I feel.
R.I.P
Pontiac

[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Draco2003

Posted 2008-09-10, 12:35 AM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "It is sad that most people don't lack..."
LARPing with your friends in a secluded area, fine ok i agree it can be fun. However, that is not the stereotype facing the genuine LARPers who in unknown eyes equip themselves with items from your mothers kitchen, your fathers bath robe, and rope you found outside your back yard, you then travel to the park on your bicycles and begin to wage war against one another in an attempt to become the king almight.

Any of you remember Suikoden? The duel portion of the game...? Back when i was younger a friend and I would equip ourselves with toy swords and go into his parents garage and duel, we would yell out Attack, Defend, or Rune at the same time and fight as if we were actually dueling. It was great fun, so i do understand it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-10, 07:47 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "LARPing with your friends in a secluded..."
That sounds kinda messed up to me. That is not the kind of thing that I find fun. If I want to swing a sword or go "kill" something, I play a video game or apply a machete to my local bush.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin