Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Time between registering and posting
Posted 2006-12-03, 03:30 PM
I had my friend register for Zelaron, but he said he couldn't post for a while. I think that this would definitely deter new members from posting here...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-12-03, 04:41 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Time between registering and posting"
Either he was making a mistake with his posts, or it's some kind of new feature implemented into vB3.5.

I can't remember having to wait to post my first post.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-12-03, 05:36 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Time between registering and posting"
It's a spambot countermeasure
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-12-03, 05:38 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "It's a spambot countermeasure"
Perhaps we should require imput of a certain random string of letters and numbers, that way real people can post from the start but bots cannot. Something like you get when registering new mail. Not being able to post is probably a good reason to leave rather than stay. I know it would have bothered me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-12-04, 12:06 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Perhaps we should require imput of a..."
The problem is that the spam problem it was implemented to detter involves real people. There's already an image check to filter out the bots. The delay is only half an hour, or no time, if they post in the introduction forum, though I didn't sticky that because we'd probably just have a lot of ads in the introduction forum...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2006-12-04, 12:12 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "The problem is that the spam problem it..."
WetWired said:
The problem is that the spam problem it was implemented to detter involves real people. There's already an image check to filter out the bots. The delay is only half an hour, or no time, if they post in the introduction forum, though I didn't sticky that because we'd probably just have a lot of ads in the introduction forum...
Well, wouldn't it be better if the mods just filtered out most of the spam and we didn't deter the potential incomers?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-12-04, 01:07 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Well, wouldn't it be better if the mods..."
For all we know, they're already doing that. I haven't seen ads for weeks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-12-04, 01:51 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "For all we know, they're already doing..."
Really, I don't see the point in possibly missing out on activity we could be getting, just because of spammers. Mods can take care of spammers in 2 minutes. The spammers weren't even that horrible, just annoying, but it didn't ruin my Zelaron experience or anything.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-12-04, 01:54 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Really, I don't see the point in..."
Agreed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-12-04, 10:56 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Really, I don't see the point in..."
I'm scarred for life.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2006-12-04, 09:43 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Well, wouldn't it be better if the mods..."
I dont think we really need the 30 min thing. At most, the most a person will see that shit for is a few hours. Once they are in the trash can, only the other mods will see them int he new posts search, and even then it's not a big deal.

If we are to keep it, shorten it to 5-10 mins, and when the user registers inform them to take this time to read the many stickies and rules.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2006-12-04, 09:54 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "I dont think we really need the 30 min..."
Fine, whatever, it just seemed like every day when I visit, I'd see a whole page of stupid ads in the trash...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2006-12-04, 10:13 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Fine, whatever, it just seemed like..."
Gave me something to do
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2006-12-05, 11:02 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Gave me something to do :p"
Awwww, poor Sov is feeling unused.

Btw, how long is it before you're logged out because you've just sat staring at one thread/page for the past n minutes?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-12-05, 12:27 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Awwww, poor Sov is feeling unused. ..."
Like 15 or 30, though if you selected the "Remember me" checkbox, it makes no difference to you.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2006-12-05, 12:34 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Like 15 or 30, though if you selected..."
I never tick that box.

Is there any way to turn it off for those who are posting or making a new thread? There've been a couple of times when I've had a very long reply, and I go to post it, only to find I've been logged off.

I can predict your answer "Tick the 'Remember Me' box".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-12-05, 12:48 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I never tick that box. :p Is there..."
Yep. That is the only solution, aside from composing your post in notepad first, then relogging in when you're done.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2006-12-05, 01:09 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Yep. That is the only solution, aside..."
You should ALWAYS back up a long post before you try to post it. I've written up too many long threads and lost them because I didn't back them up(for instance, I backed up the "The2" thread before I posted it, because it took me probably half an hour to an hour to find and quote all of those posts.)

I even have the "Remember me" box checked, but I still back up long posts. You never know what might happen, Zelaron could be temporarily down and you get a 404 message and lose your post, your internet might die and you try to post only to get an error page.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-12-05, 01:10 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You should ALWAYS back up a long post..."
I've learnt to copy it all before I hit post, just in case.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny