Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Legacy of Kain
Posted 2005-02-10, 11:50 PM
A siimple thread. I simply want to know which you have played, and how you would rank them. 1 being your favorite and the last number being your least favorite.

I have played all but Soul Reaver 2.

1. Defiance/Blood Omen
I cannot decide between the two. I'm not gonna try any harder, because I hate always trying to find the bad about something, and that is what I would have to do. Both of these games feature awesome gameplay and character design. In fact, many of the questions raised in Blood Omen are answered in Defiance. Mortanius' motives, Vorador's origins, the Unspoken, everything is explained, as opposed to other games in the series, where your confusion is only compounded by the events.

Blood Omen features tons of side-quests and secrets. I never finished them all, and alas, I never got Devourer of Worlds prestige. However, the storyline and gameplay equal that of Defiance. Defiance certainly had much better graphics and it looked better, but I loved Kain's magic, armor and weapons system. The forms that he would have to acquire and use to advance were fun to use. The Spirit Forges and Blood Fountains were great. The only bad note is the load-times. I can take load-times and that certainly doesn't effect how much I love the game, but it might annoy some people.

Kain is drastically different in Defiance. His arrogance still remains, but he's gone from huge outbursts of rage and total narcissism to a methodic, cunning brute. Gone is the wildly laughing and vae victis-shouting semi-insane anti-hero (in the loosest definition of the word) of Blood Omen. He seems composed. I loved Kain's Telekenesis and moves like Kinetic Shackles. They kept his Jump ability from Blood Omen 2 and even made a great decision to allow him to go through gates in Mist form. The end sequence isn't anything compared to Blood Omen, though. The fight with the Elder and "Vengence and sacrifice" were great, but the Epilogue didn't do it for me. Oh, and Raziel was good too, I guess.

I also can't decide which game's music I like more. I loved all the music in both. Music can always make a scene that much more impressive, and both games did that perfectly.

Load-times in Blood Omen and the fact that Malek does not have a goddam sword are the only problems I have with either of these games.

2. Blood Omen 2-

We revisit the somewhat more self-absorbed Kain of the past in Blood Omen 2. His voice has reverted, to a degree, back to his very emotional voice of Blood Omen. I have always admired Kain for his absolute confidence in himself. From the beginning of the game all the way to the end, I found it just too cool how willing he was to go off and fight the Sarafan Lord.

Kain's "Charm" ability was awful. However, Jump and Immolate were cool as hell. I also did not like the way Kain would wipe his mouth after feeding. It looked good once or twice, but if you just need a quick drink to get your health back up and there's about two other enemies, you don't want to waste the time.

Voice-wise, I only liked Kain. Umah's voice is just not my kind of voice. Also, I will not try to understand her after what she did. Vorador's voice was nothing compared to his voice in Blood Omen. There, he had a cold, emotionless tone, and who can forget his awesome line at the beginning of Blood Omen, spoken with that hatred and evil in his voice. "Call your dogs!" His voice is just bland in Blood Omen 2.

3. Soul Reaver-

Raziel's introduction and my least favorite in the series. The in-game engine was just terrible and warped Kain to looking more like some sort of animal, his face being very pointed and, and his face and torso just looked awful. Then, there's the whole Kain-bashing. Every second of the game centers on how Kain doomed the world. Everything that went wrong was completely his fault. Raziel begins to question these lies in Soul Reaver 2, but in Soul Reaver, he's just full of murderous revenge and doesn't think for himself at all. Reminds me of another poor fool he played the pawn when he was first reborn.

I prefer blood-drinking to soul-devouring. Some of Raziel's move were okay, but for the most part, I simply didn't care too much for his fighting skills.

And, there you go. You probably can't tell, but I like Kain.

Side-note: My favorite Kain appearance is his look in Blood Omen 2. He's got a vampire's look, and he wears some awesome clothes in Blood Omen 2. Obviously, his best one was his final outfit.

Fledgling Kain looked awesome. He still looked pretty human, but that armor of his was great. Kain as an Elder Vampire looks somewhat okay, but his face and skin is just...weird.

Last edited by Kuja`s #1; 2005-02-11 at 12:04 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2005-02-11, 01:56 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Legacy of Kain"
I played Defiance, but got tired of it...

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2005-02-11, 03:38 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "I played Defiance, but got tired of..."
That's because you only played one game. Plus, you were probably on some mind-altering substance. Neither of which will make you all that interested in the game. There are four others out there. Play them and you will see.

Thanks, Raziel.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2005-02-11, 03:43 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post starting "That's because you only played one..."
Pfff, mind altering makes every game more amusing. I played 2 of them but I don't remember which ones they were and I didn't like them. They're too....basic. I don't know how to say it... It's like a rachet and clank kinda game but w/ vampires.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2005-02-11, 03:56 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "Pfff, mind altering makes every game..."
"Basic"?! The games are just as, if not more, complex and confusing than Xenogears and Xenosaga, and that's pretty damn confusing. Through four games, they kept me pondering what would happen next.

Can you remember if you played a guy with white hair, or a dude that looked weird as hell? Or both? White-haired guy=Kain and that is Blood Omen 1 and 2. Weird guy=Raziel and that is Soul Reaver 1 and 2. You play both of them in Defiance.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2005-02-11, 03:58 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post starting ""Basic"?! The games are just as, if not..."
It was Kain.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kaneda

Posted 2005-02-11, 04:15 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "It was Kain."
Then, Blood Omen 1 or 2. Did he have long hair? Was it a PS2 game?

Long-hair+PS2= Blood Omen 2
2D game+PSX= Blood Omen
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2005-02-11, 04:19 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post starting "Then, Blood Omen 1 or 2. Did he have..."
It was 2.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kaneda

Posted 2005-02-11, 07:00 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "It was 2."
That one wasn't bad, but Defiance and the first Blood Omen were better.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja`s #1