Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Video Games Make Kids Fat, Violent, Swedish Experts Say
Posted 2004-03-01, 08:11 PM
By Peter Starck

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Video games can make children fat and, in the case of violent games popular among teenage and younger boys, aggressive and even criminal, Swedish experts said on Monday

The games industry, estimated at $200 million a year in Sweden and $10 billion in the United States, is dominated on the hardware side by Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox (news - web sites), Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news) (news - web sites)'s PlayStation and Nintendo (news - web sites) Co. Ltd's Game Boy and GameCube consoles.

Electronic Arts Inc., Nintendo, Activision Inc., and Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. are among leading games title publishers.

Take-Two's Rockstar unit's Grand Theft Auto -- a game condemned as "horrendous" by former U.S. Democratic presidential hopeful Joseph Lieberman -- is among titles mentioned by a Swedish television documentary in connection with violent youth crimes.

"It's concerning because they (video game players) are rehearsing scripts of behavior that will possibly play themselves out in real life," Michael Rich, a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics who has studied the effects of entertainment media on the physical and mental health of children, was quoted as saying in the 45-minute "Deadly Game" documentary.

Monday's preview of the film, due for prime time broadcasting on Swedish TV4 television on Wednesday, was followed by a panel debate, which concluded that scientific findings of the effects, if any, of violent video games were scant.

"But it has been proved beyond dispute that people who watch a lot of violence on television develop aggressive behavior," said Frank Lindblad, a child psychiatrist at Sweden's Karolinska Institute university hospital.

DIFFUSE BORDER

"They run a very high risk of criminal behavior ... there's a lot suggesting that video games are worse," he said, noting that many players tended to identify themselves with game heroes.

"The border between the virtual reality and the real world becomes diffuse and that is dangerous," Lindblad said.

Gustav Niel-Berggren, a 16-year-old student who said he tended to spend many hours a day several days a week playing an interactive online action game called Counter-Strike, which focuses on killing opponent soldiers, disagreed.

"Shooting somebody in a game is just like scoring a goal in a football match," he said, dismissing the documentary's suggestion and Lindblad's fear that youths could not distinguish between the game world and real life.

Elisabeth Junttila, a mother of six and head of a nationwide association promoting closer ties between homes and schools, said some children became addicted to video games, spending all their waking hours in front of a computer screen gorging potato chips, pizza and soft drinks.

Anne Folke, co-founder of a lobby seeking to counteract through public awareness campaigns what it sees as the ill effects of video games, said games were consuming ever more of children's time.

"They are in poor physical shape, they eat unhealthily, grow fat and suffer insomnia," she said.

omg, I'm fat, in poor physical shape, and eat unhealthily! OH TEH NOEZ, I DON'T HAVE INSOMNIA, SO IT MUST NOT BE THE DAMN VIDEO GAMES YOU STUPID FUCKS! Maybe it's becuase we now have more food available to us that is unhealthy and it isn't JUST the games you stupid fucktards, maybe it's society

Now, please, talk amongst yourelves while making fun of me for being a FAT ASS! :P ROFL ROFL

and anyone interested in sending me free exercise equipment, e-mail me at
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2004-03-01, 08:45 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "Video Games Make Kids Fat, Violent,..."
I understand how videogames can make people fat (:cough:Everquest:cough but not violent. Unless the child has violent tendencies, a game cannot make them violent. I am very calm and gentle in person but I love violent games with ragdoll physics and dismemberment. Just because you play violent games doesn't mean you are violent.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2004-03-01, 08:51 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "I understand how videogames can make..."
That's what the fucking ESRB ratings are for, what else do they want? Don't blame the game companies, blame the parents or the crazy kids. I honestly didn't think vice city was too bad. The worse thing about it was the fountain heads.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-03-01, 08:53 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "Video Games Make Kids Fat, Violent,..."
Bullshit. I'm nonviolent to a fault, and I play (or played) every bloody, gory game since the original Wolfenstein.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-03-01, 08:53 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That's what the fucking ESRB ratings..."
All lies! I'm almost considered a Quaker and I weigh 110 pounds.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2004-03-01, 08:56 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That's what the fucking ESRB ratings..."
Vice city IS bad when the parents let their 6 or 7 year old kids play it, and they actually take it literally and try to kill people. Just take that one first grader who brought his dad's gun to school and shot his classmate...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2004-03-01, 08:59 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "Video Games Make Kids Fat, Violent,..."
Didn't Chooser go to Stockholm once?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2004-03-01, 09:04 PM in reply to Randuin's post starting "Didn't Chooser go to Stockholm once?"
Mr. Lee lives there, according to his profile.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2004-03-01, 10:21 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "Video Games Make Kids Fat, Violent,..."
Kid plays game, gets fat, feels bad about himself, becomes angry, takes it out on others. The only thing is, the only contact with people they have is on forums and games. So we are saft
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2004-03-02, 04:33 AM in reply to Acer's post starting "Kid plays game, gets fat, feels bad..."
Ah, so this explains why I randomly grab kids from behind bushes, slit their throats, dice them into pieces and bury them in someones backyard when I'm bored.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2004-03-02, 09:48 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Ah, so this explains why I randomly..."
That would be the effect of Anime
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2004-03-02, 09:58 AM in reply to KagomJack's post "Video Games Make Kids Fat, Violent,..."
Give me a break. If video games should be banned as they "inspire kids to be violent", why not ban television and literature as well? Television contains a lot more violence than video games, not to mention at a far more psychological level. You don't bump into your everyday in-movie lust murder in video games, you just face mindless monsters who head straight for the player upon sight. And literature, while not graphically violent, tends to contain a lot of psychological violence at times. If video games go, so should television and literature, it's as simple as that.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2004-03-02, 10:54 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Give me a break. If video games should..."
Time to move to the US chruser. I'd like to see them try to ban it here. It will never happen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-03-02, 03:02 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Time to move to the US chruser. I'd..."
!King_Amazon! said:
Time to move to the US chruser. I'd like to see them try to ban it here. It will never happen.
Okay, let me break down my post into terms easier to comprehend for you:

1) Banning video games is plain idiotic.
2) Video games contain violence, so do books and movies.
3) Banning books and movies due to violence is idiotic.
4) You shouldn't do idiotic things.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2004-03-02, 03:15 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Okay, let me break down my post into..."
I don't think you took my post the way it was intended to be taken. I don't enjoy being called dumb either.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-03-02, 03:31 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I don't think you took my post the way..."
No, video games do NOT in ANY way make kids fat. The Chips, and Soda, and massive Chocolate they consume makes them fat, any dumbass sweed should be able to see that! Violence is good for us Americans, I mean , Without violence, Poor Iraq might be dropping nuclear weapons on our heads as we speak!!

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-03-02, 05:52 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "No, video games do NOT in ANY way make..."
Pot make kids fat, but if anything, they are not eating while trying to beat their favorite games. At least, I don't eat while I'm trying to beat a game.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2004-03-02, 05:56 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post starting "Pot make kids fat, but if anything,..."
Pot didn't make me fat. Hell, unlike most people, I didn't even get that hungry. I was dying of thirst though. I was laughing to hard to be able to drink anything too. It really sucked.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-03-02, 05:59 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Pot didn't make me fat. Hell, unlike..."
Thank you for sharing your awesome experience, KA. I now think more highly of you.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2004-03-02, 07:09 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Thank you for sharing your awesome..."
Ooooooook.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!