Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Question What makes a movie good?
Posted 2004-01-19, 01:56 PM
I think that what makes a movie good is if someone has a gun (and uses it), doesnt matter what type and at least 1 person gets killed (or shot then dies, see time machine)..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Zar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenZar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Zar

Posted 2004-01-19, 03:15 PM in reply to Zar's post "What makes a movie good?"
A good movie needs drama, comedy, romance, and action. LOTR is a good example.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2004-01-19, 07:08 PM in reply to Zar's post "What makes a movie good?"
Hardcore Sex Scenes.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2004-01-19, 08:14 PM in reply to uncapped's post starting "Hardcore Sex Scenes."
Good movie needs action. None of this heart felt romace shit. KILL KILL KILL!!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-01-19, 08:29 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Good movie needs action. None of this..."
Flying Monkey Ninjas From Space
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2004-01-19, 08:44 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Flying Monkey Ninjas From Space"
Media would have been better...

There are many different ways a movie can be good, overall just how entertaining it was.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2004-01-19, 09:03 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "Media would have been better... ..."
A good movie needs to make sense first of all. It needs to be filled with ideas and facts that most everyday people can relate to, and It either needs to put in a riddle to make you infer about something and keep you guessing, or it needs to just be filled with action and have no sort of plot.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-01-19, 09:05 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Flying Monkey Ninjas From Space"
GravitonSurge said:
Didn't there used to be a cartoon about something like that?

And... I'll have to go with FEMALE BOOBZ.

Maybe tonight we'll fly so far away... We'll be lost before the dawn...
Raziel said:
er er LOL
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
DaFrigginDoctah enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDaFrigginDoctah enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

DaFrigginDoctah

Posted 2004-01-19, 10:10 PM in reply to DaFrigginDoctah's post starting "Didn't there used to be a cartoon about..."
Media~

I think fast cars, drugs, and hot girls make a good movie, oh and good acting.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2004-01-19, 11:31 PM in reply to Zar's post "What makes a movie good?"
Red planet qualifys barely as a good movie, it doesnt have guns but thats covered by the robot spider-cat that kills everything
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Zar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenZar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Zar

Posted 2004-01-19, 11:42 PM in reply to Zar's post starting "Red planet qualifys barely as a good..."
A movie needs to understand it's place in order to be good. Movies like "Freddy vs Jason" can get away with gratuitous plot holes because they're campy. Nobody goes to "Freddy vs Jason" expecting a riveting plot.

Movies like "Underworld" however sell themselves as being serious and should be taken seriously. So, when a movie like that has cruise liner sized plot holes, it kills the entire experience.

This is just one example, however. If you're gonna be campy, be campy. But if you're going to be serious, then for the love of God don't glaze over things like "plot" and "character interaction."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-01-20, 10:54 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "A movie needs to understand it's place..."
For me, it is usually pretty good if it is directed well, has some action, but still I like plot, drama, it is creative, and if it really is a specticle (ala Gladiator).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2004-01-20, 07:39 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "A movie needs to understand it's place..."
Raziel said:
A movie needs to understand it's place in order to be good. Movies like "Freddy vs Jason" can get away with gratuitous plot holes because they're campy. Nobody goes to "Freddy vs Jason" expecting a riveting plot.

Movies like "Underworld" however sell themselves as being serious and should be taken seriously. So, when a movie like that has cruise liner sized plot holes, it kills the entire experience.

This is just one example, however. If you're gonna be campy, be campy. But if you're going to be serious, then for the love of God don't glaze over things like "plot" and "character interaction."
In my oppinion Freddy Vs. Jason was a pretty good movie.I never did see underworld though because it reminded me of the matrix and I hate the matrix.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dan XIII

Posted 2004-01-21, 01:09 AM in reply to Dan XIII's post starting "In my oppinion Freddy Vs. Jason was a..."
Dan XIII said:
In my oppinion Freddy Vs. Jason was a pretty good movie.I never did see underworld though because it reminded me of the matrix and I hate the matrix.
FvJ is a good movie, and that's because it understands it's place. Everyone involved knew that slasher movies are complete camp, and to try and make one serious is idiocy. Anyone that went to see FvJ either loved it, because they wanted to see a campy horror movie, or they hated it because they can't stand campy movies in the first place.

Underworld, on the other hand, was touted as a fairly serious movie. There weren't any one-liners or appluase-seeking death scenes, and the story was attempting to be serious. However, the character interactions and plot itself had so many holes and rips in them that it was completely unwatchable. They tried to make a serious movie, but cut a lot of corners while doing so, and that's what constitutes a bad movie.

Just so long as moviemakers understand what kind of movie they're making, they'll have a better chance of succeeding. The people responsible for Underworld tried to make a serious movie, but said "eh, it's an action/horror, so we can get away with giant plot holes and shitty character interaction." They were miserably wrong.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-01-21, 01:42 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "FvJ is a good movie, and that's because..."
Good acting, mainly. I sort of liked Fast and the Furious (1, not 2). I liked it simply because of all the cool cars and shit but then they had Paul Walker trying to act. Not a very good combination.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2004-01-21, 06:26 PM in reply to Zar's post "What makes a movie good?"
nooooo your missing the point of movies, KILL KILL KILL KILL DIE DIE DIE DEATH TO ALLL !!!!

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Zar

Posted 2004-01-22, 01:14 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Flying Monkey Ninjas From Space"
GravitonSurge said:
I second that... Seriously... Where are all of the good Space Monkey Ninja movies? There are none... That sucks... Oh well... ... ... Boondock Saints is a great movie.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
pr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenpr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

pr0xy

Posted 2004-01-23, 11:57 AM in reply to pr0xy's post starting "I second that... Seriously... Where are..."
Sex. Drugs. Violence.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
DrowningOnAir is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDrowningOnAir is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

DrowningOnAir

Posted 2004-01-23, 12:00 PM in reply to DrowningOnAir's post starting "Sex. Drugs. Violence."
DrowningOnAir said:
Sex. Drugs. Violence.
Sex, Drugs, Violence, Wepons of mass destruction, Cheese Curds, Potatoes, Corn, Shrip, Hubcaps, Cows, Pigs, Bacon, Butter, and a Kumquat
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
pr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenpr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

pr0xy

Posted 2004-01-24, 02:48 PM in reply to pr0xy's post starting "Sex, Drugs, Violence, Wepons of mass..."
pr0xy said:
Sex, Drugs, Violence, Wepons of mass destruction, Cheese Curds, Potatoes, Corn, Shrip, Hubcaps, Cows, Pigs, Bacon, Butter, and a Kumquat
yes Kumquats are the most important aspect of a good movie.Without them a movie would be nothing
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dan XIII