Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Post Good vs. Evil Tournament?
Posted 2003-12-05, 09:59 AM
How about it? Either there is one-on-one good vs evil combat, or team battles. Choose which.

I like one-on-one more. The fighter you support might be able to win, but not if he's paired with a loser. Example: Kuja with Samus. Just totally different. Would never work so Kuja would crash and burn.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-12-05, 10:08 AM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
The point of the battles are for the spectators (us) to argue creatively for or against the combatants. If people that are paired up are completely different, then the battles would be much more interesting as completely new strategies would have to be formed. I don't see why anyone would be against this.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-12-05, 10:08 AM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
I would like one with half the characters good and half the characters evil, all the good against each other for 1 best good guy, all the evil against each other for 1 best bad guy. Put these two against each other and have a battle of the century kinda battle.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-12-05, 10:14 AM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
But what genre though? More specifications need to be made. I like teams, but there are also a few other ideas I've liked. Once this Tournament is over, something will get decided.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-12-05, 10:18 AM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
I think cross-game, cross-genre teams would be spectacular. Strategies would have to be completely re-thought, and I like the idea of making the arguments more complex.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-12-05, 10:45 AM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
Yeah that be awesome.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-12-05, 12:04 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
I don't know about cross-genre though, that may cause a few too many mis-matches...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-12-05, 12:08 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
Who cares? It will be fun for people to try to conquer those mismatches with character skills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2003-12-05, 12:20 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
Titusfied said:
I don't know about cross-genre though, that may cause a few too many mis-matches...
Thats exactly why i dont think it would be good. At least for now. Maybe in 2-3 zelaron melee it would be something worth checking again. Since right now rules are still subject to change. So i think sticking to more simple stuff would be better to strengthen the base of zelaron melee.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja

Posted 2003-12-05, 04:12 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
I was also wondering who you would want in a tournament like this.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-12-05, 04:37 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
Kuja said:
Titusfied said:
Thats exactly why i dont think it would be good. At least for now. Maybe in 2-3 zelaron melee it would be something worth checking again. Since right now rules are still subject to change. So i think sticking to more simple stuff would be better to strengthen the base of zelaron melee.
team battles will probably only be good if very carefully picked and matched anyways
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sh0e is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensh0e is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sh0e

Posted 2003-12-05, 04:39 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
Yes, this is why im saying we should stick to simpler stuff for now. We could still do team match but i think we should for now keep it to members of the team being from same game to like i said "keep it simple".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja

Posted 2003-12-05, 05:20 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
That goes against the entire purpose of the battles in the first place. The purpose is to create arguments and work with a character's abilities. Grouping characters up with people whom they've already been partnered with requires no thought. It only requires picking which did the most damage. That's a rediculous way to have a tournament.

If anyone simply wants to say that the characters from one game are better than those from another (and I'm sure many of you are dying to do just that), then do that. There is no reason have a tournament for that purpose.

There is no balance no matter how well the teams are made. The level of power of a character n Zelaron Melee depends on what the members here give to them. If someone simply says team A is strong, and they most certainly are, then they are strong. However, if someone argues that team B could and would do such and such to overcome that, and if that argument is feasable, team B would win. It does not matter which characters are paired. All that matters is the creativity of us.

With that in mind, why would you want to keep things pre-matched? I say pick characters just like were done for this tournament, put the names in a hat, and draw them out to make the teams. If someone thinks a team is stacked, then perhaps someone at Zelaron will argue for the underdog. This was the case in several battles, and the argument is the only decision-maker for the judges. It has absolutely nothing to do with the characters themselves.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-12-05, 05:31 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
Just so you know same game doesnt mean that they are in a group.

If you remember an example i had made of team it was this.
Kuja said:
Here a few example of teams that could be interesting.
Meph, Diablo, Baal (Diablo1,2)
Magus, Crono, Frog (Chrono Trigger)
Megaman, Zero, Bass (Megaman Serie)
Kuja, Zidane, Garland (Final Fantasy 9)
Seifer, Squall, Zell (Final Fantasy 8)
Cloud, Sephiroth, Vincent (Final Fantasy 7)
Sabin, Edgard, Terra (Final Fantasy 6)
Sonic, Shadow, Robotnik (Sonic Serie)
The only team that actualy play together would be
Magus, Crono, Frog.
Seifer, Sqall, Zell.
Sabin, Edgard, Terra.

But anyway even then.
Magus doesnt have his boss ability in ct and same goes for Seifer.
Which mean that only the ff6 party would be having mostly limitation to what was done with them in the game. But then again in Zelaron Melee battle work differantly. Which make it still open to some new stuff.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja

Posted 2003-12-05, 05:32 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
Or maybe we should try and get more activity first...
Some of the battles had little to no participation.

It will be very disappointing to see how much work the Zelaron Melee mods have put in, and yet it recieved no attention from us. For instance...Simon vs. Sigma.

EDIT:
Anyway, I think it is easier if the Team members are all from the same game. Why? Some people are not too familiar with all the games. Say, a team that consists of Diablo (From Diablo series), Ayame (From Tenchu) and Mario (From...Mario). It will be hard for someone to know all three characters, considering that we all play different games, some prefer different genres, etc, and it will affect the activity of the battles, overall.

People might just look at the team and think, "I know nothing about that character in that team so I'm not going to participate."

If the characters are from the same game however, it will be easier. Just because it is from the same game series, doesn't mean the teams have to consist of characters from the same side (in the game).

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.

Last edited by Senesia; 2003-12-05 at 05:46 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2003-12-05, 05:54 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
i havent been around long enough to really say much

but i agree with senesia.. there really isnt much participation as it is
it seems that arguments go on between just a few of the same ppl
and the thread dante vs samus seemed to come pretty close to being a stillborn.. if i can remember correctly some people didnt even realize that battle had started

i mean thereare only 14 total threads in this board (that i can see).. theres really not enough experience here to even have a gist of what the zelaron melee would be getting into.. not to mention not enough people to mold it
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sh0e is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensh0e is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sh0e

Posted 2003-12-05, 06:09 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
What do you mean Zel Melee mods? Raziel is the only mod...

I think Lord Shinnok should participate. If he wishes of course.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-12-05, 06:27 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
Well, there will be no overlaps, since with single genre tournaments, all the bases will be covered before the same genre is reused, if it ever is.

Honestly, I think a different genre, but the same format as this one should be next, then we can start teaming up genre's. I like this better because, I for example, really didn't know much about most of the characters in the current tournament, but after going through this up to now, I have a much better understanding for different characters abilities. Therefore, after one more tournament of learning abilities better, I can start participating more effectively in multi-genre tournaments.

Its not concrete yet, but we'll see. Oh, and I think they were referring to Raziel, Uncapped, and me as the Zelaron Melee Mods, since we are the judges and have the final say.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2003-12-05, 07:33 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
Senesia said:
If the characters are from the same game however, it will be easier. Just because it is from the same game series, doesn't mean the teams have to consist of characters from the same side (in the game).
I just see it as the wrong idea concering RPGs...
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-12-10, 07:46 AM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Good vs. Evil Tournament?"
Medieval Bob's right, it gets a tad too boring if all the characters for a team line-up would be from the same series. It would defeat the purpose of having a team in the first place. Characters with different attributes and what-nots would then have to work together and it's our job as the "posters" (; to give them a hell of a battle in order to choose the winning team, to give them the reward they deserve. I'm sure those Team Battle Melees would be FUN, FUN, FUN~~~!!!
Life is short.
Let's all grab a BEER~~~!!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Cerridwen is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenCerridwen is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Cerridwen