Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Post The Jedi
Posted 2003-06-28, 12:46 PM
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Until the dark times. Until the Empire."

In Star Wars Galaxies, you too can quest to become a Jedi Knight, or for the especially skilled, brave, and lucky few: A Jedi Master. Below, you'll find a simple FAQ dedicated to the Jedi in Star Wars Galaxies, detailing exactly how the system works.

What do I need to do to become a Jedi?
The major requirement of following the Jedi path is to unlock your Force Sensitive Character Slot (FSCS). After that, you can use the force sensitive slot at any time to create a force sensitive character. This force sensitive character is the only one who can become a Jedi. Once you have started a character in your FSCS, that character can train and pratice skills using the Force, and eventually become a Jedi. Unfortunately there are a few quirks with the FSCS.

What kind of quirks are there about the FSCS?
Any character created in the FSCS has an ailment called "perma-death." That means that if your character dies, he or she is deleted and you are forced to start over from the beginning. To account for disconnects or unexpected gameplay bugs, your character is allowed 2 or 3 normal deaths (where you can come back to life via a clone) before the Perma-death kicks in.

Does the FSCS get locked again when I die?
No, your FSCS remains open forever after it is unlocked. When you die, the only thing you have to do to attempt the Jedi path again is create a new character. The catch is, of course, that the new character starts out as a newbie again, and any skill or XP you gained the last time through is lost. So this means that if you play a character in your FSCS for 6 months and get him or her up to Jedi Knight status, then get eaten by a Rancor too many times, you have to start all over again from scratch. That certainly adds a bit of risk to becoming a Jedi, but you will never completely lose the chance after your FSCS is opened.

How do I unlock the FSCS?
Nobody knows. The process is thought to be tied to your account, and slightly different for everyone. According the the devs, a casual player might unlock their FSCS within a year or so of starting a regular character. When we know more, we will certainly post it (in a big spoiler-protected area)

What happens if I use the Force in public?
When you use the Force in public, or display any sign of your Jedi Heritage outside of the chat channels, you will automatically gain a Temporary Enemy Flag (TEF) from all Players and NPCs who witness it. This means that any of those Players or NPCs can attack and kill you without repercussions until the TEF runs out. Thusly, it's suggested you only reveal your force sensitive nature to those you trust, and never, ever use the force in a crowded, public place.

How powerful are Jedi Knights?
It has been quoted by the devs that a Jedi with the correct skills and competence could likely take out a fair sized group of players with not too much trouble. In other words, attacking a Jedi Knight by yourself would not be a good idea.

Can I become a Jedi Master?
Yes. Jedi Masters are a special case scenario in Star Wars Galaxies. Once you have become a Jedi, death is no longer as "Permanent" as it would be prior to that. Instead of having your character deleted after he or she dies, the character instead becomes 'blue glowies.' That is, they take on the form of Ben Kenobi in The Empire Strikes Back, or Yoda, Darth Vader (Anakin Skywalker), and Obi-wan at the end of Return of the Jedi. In this form, the Jedi Master cannot fight or affect the physical world.

How hard is it to climb the Jedi ranks?
With perma-death, the constant risk of attack by anyone who spots your Jedi Traits, and the pure amount of danger present in the Star Wars Galaxies, climbing the Jedi ranks to even the title of Knight will likely be an accomplishment of great merit. According to the devs, becoming a Jedi Master will be the toughest thing in the game to do, and is viewed by many as the "You win" moment of Star Wars Galaxies.

What are some of the Jedi powers?
We're not sure yet, but we're guessing that Jedi will be able to use previously seen skills like speed, push, pull, healing, persuasion, absorption, grip, etc.

Can I turn to the Dark Side and become a Dark Jedi?
No. Unfortunately this feature was cut from the initial release. There are plans, however, to add it back into the game after release through patches.

Why is there Perma-death and a FSCS?
The answer to this question is two fold. First off, the intent from the very beginning of development was to keep Jedi rare. During the time period in which Star Wars Galaxies is set, there are very few Jedi left in the galaxy. As such, the systems were put in place to keep the number of Jedi per Galaxy low, which not making them impossible.

The other answer is, of course, the reasoning behind the specific systems. In a way, they are both intertwined. One could not exist without the other. Perma-death was included to make being a Jedi have a bit of risk to it. Players must weigh the chance of losing all of their hard work against the chance of becoming very powerful before every action they take. This leads directly into the second system: the FSCS. If a player gained Force Sensitivity on his main character, and he was suddenly perma-death, he might lose not only all the time he spent becoming a Jedi, but also all the time spent developing the character. Many players may not want to become a Jedi, also, and gaining all of the drawbacks of Force Sensitivity without a desire to reap any of the rewards would be unfair. Thusly, Jedi are perma-death to keep them rare, and FSCS to keep it fair. Also, I never give up a good opportunity to rhyme.

What about lightsabers?
Those players who chose to become Jedi will be able to build lightsabers. Only Jedi will be able to use lightsabers proficiently, and they will likely decay very quickly without proper maintenance, which again, only Jedi can supply. There will be multiple gems and thusly multiple colors for lightsabers. Yes, players will be able to construct and use double-bladed lightsabers, but likely not be able to use two lightsabers at once.

Will my species have any effect on my chance of unlocking the FSCS?
No. Species will have no bearing on your chances of unlocking your force sensitive character slot. All species have an equal chance of unlocking the FSCS.

Will there be Ranks? Like Padawan, Jedi Adept, Jedi Knight, etc?
Yes. Ranks will be drawn from the movies and expanded to fit Star Wars Galaxies' unique system.

Can I pursue non-Jedi professions in the FSCS? Is it still perma-death?
Yes, you can chose to pursue any profession or do anything in a FSCS that you could do in a normal character slot, but the FSCS will always be perma-death. So if you were to work up to a bounty hunter or squad leader, he would be perma-death, the same as if you actually pursued the Jedi path. Also of note, you can pursue other professions at the same time as becoming a Jedi. For example, you could become a Master Marksman and Jedi Knight at the same time.

-Taken from swgalaxies.com
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-06-28, 01:17 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
The greatest thing is that the Jedi are still in 'internal testing' and you can't become one! They lie about it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2003-06-28, 02:01 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
That's why I don't wanna be a Jedi. I wanna be the guy that makes their lightsabers! Then I'll be a rich bastard! Yay!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2003-06-28, 02:48 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
I'm fairly sure you have to be force sensitivite to 'complete' the lightsaber, don't you?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2003-06-28, 10:18 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
Quote:
What about lightsabers?
Those players who chose to become Jedi will be able to build lightsabers. Only Jedi will be able to use lightsabers proficiently, and they will likely decay very quickly without proper maintenance, which again, only Jedi can supply. There will be multiple gems and thusly multiple colors for lightsabers. Yes, players will be able to construct and use double-bladed lightsabers, but likely not be able to use two lightsabers at once.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-06-29, 08:48 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
I'll be a force-sensitive Crafter then...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2003-06-29, 09:10 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
My ass, lol. THEY AREN'T EVEN IMPLEMENTED YET
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2003-06-29, 11:20 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
Yea, I realize that. I also realize what a mistake Sony did releasing this game. This game is so fucking buggy! The only reason they decided to release it is because everyone was pissed at them for taking so long. ROFL, now they're gonna be REALLY br pissed cuz it's so unfun. There already are exploits all over the servers!

*end rant*
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

uncapped

Posted 2003-06-30, 09:44 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
They already fixed the Tuskan bug where you would get like 900 xp just for attacking it once.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-07-08, 07:35 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
that info wouldve be usefull a week ro so ago.... lol
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Radzkull is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRadzkull is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Radzkull

Posted 2003-07-08, 07:50 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
Read the post dates. It was a week ago.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-07-08, 08:00 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
Too bad it's going to be damn near impossible to becoming a Jedi, and even if you do, you only get 2-3 deaths, then you're permed death. What I think Sony is going to do, is randomly pick people to be jedis, and then the fanatics will go wild, but they won't know how they did it, so they won't be able to tell others how to do it. Then again, I'm probably wrong.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-07-08, 08:25 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
It'll probably be somewhat similar to a class's ultimate quest or whatever the hell it was called on Everquest but slightly upgraded. For instance, on EQ, the average one took a week's worth of 8 hour days playing with at least 10 other people to get one person's item. I know I read that it would take a year, but a year long quest is bullshit, and we all know it.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-07-08, 06:31 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
Here's what I know for a fact:

Some people are saying you current character will have a FS slot. That is not true. Sony has clearly stated that once you do whatever you have to do (nobody knows how to get a jedi yet), you will unlock a force sensitive character on the same server. The reason this is, people would bitch and whine if their main character suffered perm death, but if they just lost some character they unlocked, then it wouldn't be that much of a problem. By the way, Sony also said that you could unlock a Jedi in the last few weeks of the beta, but they also said that nobody did unlock one. I'm assuming that we would need more time than a few weeks, and they probably did this so they would find out if it was too easy to unlock one or not (which is why it's called a beta test). I think it will take a while to become one, too. It says on their site that either a hardcore fanatic or a casual player could become one, but it would take a casual player much, much longer. I don't know what this means, but it has to mean something.

As of right now, I don't think anyone has unlocked one, but just give it a few months. I'm sure someone will figure it out. And don't be thinking you can just read up on how to become a jedi in some guide, because they said it would be different for every character.

If you're wondering... you have to become a jedi before you can become a dark jedi, and dark jedis haven't been added yet, so don't plan on becoming one any time soon.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-07-08, 06:39 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
Umm... Jedi's haven't been added yet either. I think.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

uncapped

Posted 2003-07-08, 08:36 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "The Jedi"
No, they were added in the last week of the patch, but nobody has yet to unlocked one.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

NonGayMan