Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

The meaning of existence?
Posted 2005-10-30, 07:28 PM
First off, I hope this is in the right forum. If not, it can be moved to wherever it would be necessary.

Second, I just got struck with a popular question: What is truly the meaning of our existence? It's a great philosophical question that man has been trying to answer ever since the ancient Egyptians 9000+ years ago. Is it something that is objective or is it subjective? Does it have to do with the supernatural, spiritual, or just something that is neither? If there is no definite meaning to life, then why do we even bother to carry on with our existence then? Is life not pointless then?

Third, my view is this: the true meaning of our existence is to just live. That's the subjective viewpoint for humanity on a whole, though. For me, as an individual, it's to at least find someone I'll love, at least just once, and to experience all the fruits and pains of life. Not every single one that can be experienced, but just the ones that I can without too much problem.

So, post what you feel, think, or claim to know about the true meaning of existence. There truly is no right or wrong answer, for they all somehow make up a whole piece that has the answer.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2005-10-30, 07:53 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "The meaning of existence?"
Are you stoned, KagomJack?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2005-10-30, 08:00 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Are you stoned, KagomJack?"
No, my mind's racing with philosophical questions and the deeper meaning to life.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2005-10-30, 08:04 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "No, my mind's racing with philosophical..."
Ancient Egyptians weren't 9000 years ago. It was like, 3500-4000.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2005-10-30, 08:04 PM in reply to Xenn's post starting "Ancient Egyptians weren't 9000 years..."
shhh...I'm allowed to make a mistake a day.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2005-10-30, 08:19 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "The meaning of existence?"
In essence...

Be born
Grow
Reproduce
Raise our spawn
Die

The end.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2005-10-30, 08:29 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "In essence... Be born Grow..."
As far as the larger universe is concerned, we are probably meaningless. The individual, however, defines his own meaning for life, which, as far as the question from the human perspective is concerned, is what really matters.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-10-30, 08:30 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "As far as the larger universe is..."
I definitely love that answer.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2005-10-30, 08:45 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "In essence... Be born Grow..."
Jessifer said:
In essence...

Be born
Grow
Reproduce
Raise our spawn
Die

The end.
wow. that was either blunt.... or depressing.... maybe both.

I kinda like kagomjack's third point. just to live. and find love with someone that loves back. hmmmmmm. maybe I'll write a poem about it....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sciencekid is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensciencekid is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sciencekid

Posted 2005-10-30, 08:47 PM in reply to sciencekid's post starting "wow. that was either blunt.... or..."
I swear if you right a poem... Ill freaking read it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2005-10-30, 08:52 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I swear if you right a poem... Ill..."
Sum Yung Guy said:
I swear if you right a poem... Ill freaking read it.
are you being sarcastic?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sciencekid is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensciencekid is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sciencekid

Posted 2005-10-30, 08:55 PM in reply to sciencekid's post starting "are you being sarcastic? :weird:"
That was a good poem. Thanks now my life is complete

And that my folks is the meaning of life.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2005-10-30, 08:58 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "That was a good poem. Thanks now my..."
dude. I haven't even started writing it yet. It will take a while
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

sciencekid

Posted 2005-10-30, 08:58 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I swear if you right a poem... Ill..."
Hahaha... I don't think I'll be writing a poem on that. Namely because I don't believe it myself, however much of a reality it is from a certain point of view.

Personally, I believe that the meaning of our existence, our personal existence's, is to find what makes us happiest. Whether it be finding the one person to share your life with, raising a child or multiple children, becoming wealthy and/or successful, or being a psychopathic killer.

Whatever floats your boat, really.

Myself? I want to find that one person to spend the rest of my life with and have a family.

Last edited by Jessifer; 2005-10-30 at 09:00 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2005-11-02, 04:23 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Hahaha... :D I don't think I'll be..."
well i just finished the poem on the meaning of life. but you guys probably don't want to see it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

sciencekid

Posted 2005-11-02, 06:26 PM in reply to Xenn's post starting "Ancient Egyptians weren't 9000 years..."
Xenn said:
Ancient Egyptians weren't 9000 years ago. It was like, 3500-4000.
Only at Zelaron
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2005-11-02, 06:27 PM in reply to sciencekid's post starting "well i just finished the poem on the..."
why does a tree exist? for any other reason than to maintain the earth's internal balance by taking in carbon dioxide and giving off oxygen?

if you can't answer that, then you can't possibly answer the question of why the driving force, the most expontentially evolutionary creature on the planet exists.

i agree with jessifer though. the cycle is pretty much all there is to life. i don't exactly "live life to the fullest" and i really don't know many people that do. i can't imagine why anyone would, because the world is filled with depressing things more and more every day. i, for one, can't look past these things. call me blunt or unimaginable but my reason for living is what i make it. i just live.

no, i'm not emo.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
symnzXx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensymnzXx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

symnzXx

Posted 2005-11-02, 07:14 PM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "why does a tree exist? for any other..."
The purpose of life is to enjoy it.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2005-11-02, 11:15 PM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "why does a tree exist? for any other..."
symnzXx said:
if you can't answer that, then you can't possibly answer the question of why the driving force, the most expontentially evolutionary creature on the planet exists.
What makes you believe that we are the "driving force," or "epontentially evolutionary creature (Whatever that means)" of this planet?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes