Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

"Event script referenced an item which does not exist"
Posted 2005-05-04, 02:03 PM
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. First, let me say that I am a skilled event scripter, and I have managed to perform many tasks with RPGm2k3 which were not originally intended.
However, I am having trouble with the following:

I have written a script for a battle command, set to "Link to Event". The command is labeled "Run", and I used it instead of the default "Escape" command, because I need to make it so that you cannot escape from certain random monster groups.

However, whenever a different command is selected, but not executed (for example, if I select "Fight", but cancel before choosing a monster, or select "Item", but cancel before selecting one), and then select "Run", the game crashes and gives me the following error:
"Event script referenced an item that does not exist."

This occurs both in game, and in Battle Test mode. My item Array size is set to 300.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem? All I need is for certain random encounters to be "escape-proof."

For your info, here's a sample of what this Event code looks like. This one is taken from a battle with 3 "imps". (The "Dummys" are invisible throughout the battle, and are present so that this command works):

<>Variable Oper: [0071:Run Command] Set, Var [0068]'s Value
<>Variable Oper: [0071:Run Command] *, Rnd [1-8]
<>Variable Oper: [0072:Monster Level] Set, 1:IMP Max HP
<>Variable Oper: [0072:Monster Level] +, 2:IMP Max HP
<>Variable Oper: [0072:Monster Level] +, 3:IMP Max HP
<>Variable Oper: [0072:Monster Level] +, 4:(Dummy) Max HP
<>Variable Oper: [0072:Monster Level] +, 5:(Dummy) Max HP
<>Variable Oper: [0072:Monster Level] +, 6:(Dummy) Max HP
<>Variable Oper: [0072:Monster Level] +, 7:(Dummy) Max HP
<>Variable Oper: [0072:Monster Level] +, 8:(Dummy) Max HP
<>Variable Oper: [0072:Monster Level] /, 8
<>Branch if Var [0071:Run Command] is V[0072] or more
_<>Force Flee: Entire Party
_<>
_:Else Handler
_<>Message: Can't Run!
_<>
:End
<>

*NOTE: Var[0068] represents the party's current average level, unless the "FEAR" skill is used, in which 15 is added to this number.

Last edited by mihalis; 2005-05-04 at 02:42 PM. Reason: title change (i hope it works)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
mihalis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenmihalis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

mihalis

Posted 2005-05-04, 02:29 PM in reply to mihalis's post ""Event script referenced an item which..."
Two things:

1. Welcome to Zelaron. It's nice to know that we still get new members, especially posting in this forum.

2. There's nothing I can do except: *SUMMONS OUR 21 YEAR OLD BLUECUBE!!!*

He he he...

----------

Whilst we're waiting, you say you are an experienced scripter, or at least sound it. Two things again:

1. Have you ever tried RMXP??? There are many things missing that could hopefully be scripted in...you might be bale to have a bit of fun.

2. Are you interested in joining a Game Development team?? We need scripters I believe to do things. If you are, PM me and I'll givce you the details.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-04, 05:26 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Two things: 1. Welcome to Zelaron...."
Nevermind, folks... I've decided to go with the default "Escape" command, as it won't effect the gameplay nearly as much as an occasional program crash would.

Still, if you think you have a solution to this that I hadn't thought of... Post it! I can always use the extra knowledge for next time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
mihalis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenmihalis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

mihalis

Posted 2005-05-05, 10:57 AM in reply to mihalis's post ""Event script referenced an item which..."
"Event script referenced an item that does not exist."

Well, for one, check every character's default equipment (to make sure there's no problems, clear them all, then reset back to whatever the default should be). Sometimes you might end up wearing a potion as a hat if you change the item type. Also, make sure the monsters involved are dropping actual non-deleted items. Inventory items (if you're loading a saved game) might also be messed up.

I see no problems with the actual code beyond figuring in the zeros as actual numbers and THEN dividing by 8 even if there are 3 monsters. To make sure it isn't a programming bug (which I can't tell just from the code given), make a new game and don't change anything except for adding your script. If it works fine, it's something with how your project is set up.

As to escape-proofing, honestly I would just set a switch within each needed monster group to disable running within your event command and have an auto-event within the map to turn the running back on after the battle. No calculations needed really, just disable running from the monsters you want to (if you really, really want to do running based on level, just do a simple branch that checks to see if Level < 15 to disable running for that specific monster group)

At least, that's the theory - I'd check it, but I'm on a lunch break and don't have time at the moment to test it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2005-05-16, 11:14 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting ""Event script referenced an item that..."
Did it work in the end??

----------

Whilst I'm here, do you remember a guy who was here around Xmas 2003, posted about a problem to do with 03 rtp for RM2K3...chap called Joelv1???
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-16, 12:19 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Did it work in the end?? ----------..."
Re: Joelv1: http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread....65219#poststop

That's his only post in this forum that I can find..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2005-05-16, 03:08 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Re: Joelv1:..."
Really??

It's just that I was talking to him earlier today - he has his own rpg forum, and I mentioned Zelaron and he said how he used to be on here as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny