Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Dubbies or subbies!
Posted 2006-05-14, 02:01 PM
It's a question asked frequently on MANY a forum, but not yet in this one ^.^.

Do you guys have a preference to dubs, subs, or whichever sounds better?

Personally, there are some shows I REFUSE to watch in english. The english va's make my ears want to implode. Such showns would be Love Hina and Ai Yori Aoshi.

There are those series that I can tolerate and enjoy both the dub AND the sub. Hellsing (TV) + The Full Metal Panic series are both examples of this.

Then there is that rare occasion that the dub is actually superior to the sub. The one set of DVD's I own that passes this criteria is Vandread. I've yet to watch the whole thing in japanese.

I guess the answer to my own question is I'll watch whatever is done better

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2006-05-14, 03:50 PM in reply to Sovereign's post "Dubbies or subbies!"
Really depends on the show for me. Sometimes even on a character by character basis.

But really the only shows I can't stand at all dubbed are Full Metal Alchemist and Patlabor. And sadly, both are only because of one character's english voice (Al in FMA, Noa in Patlabor)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2006-05-14, 04:26 PM in reply to Rurouni Storm's post starting "Really depends on the show for me. ..."
Never seen FMA subbed so dubbing of it is aight.

Generally I prefer subbing ...the voices don't match .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-05-14, 04:56 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Never seen FMA subbed so dubbing of it..."
I don't even watch the show if it is dub
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Ganga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGanga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Ganga

Posted 2006-05-14, 06:07 PM in reply to Ganga's post starting "I don't even watch the show if it is dub"
Ganga said:
I don't even watch the show if it is dub
I'm with him. I can't stand dubbed shows.

The ONLY exception to this is Cowboy Bebop... still the best anime dub ever.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-05-14, 09:25 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I'm with him. I can't stand dubbed..."
I don't bother with dubs; pretty much all the ones I've heard sucked anyway.
I really can't stand Mimiru's dub in .hack
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2006-05-16, 12:39 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I'm with him. I can't stand dubbed..."
GravitonSurge said:
I'm with him. I can't stand dubbed shows.

The ONLY exception to this is Cowboy Bebop... still the best anime dub ever.
agreed and agreed
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2006-05-17, 02:10 PM in reply to Sovereign's post "Dubbies or subbies!"
Dubbed. I don't watch a ton of anime, but what I do own, I've never bothered to watch in subtitles because the dubs are outstanding, in my opinion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2006-05-17, 05:14 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Dubbed. I don't watch a ton of anime,..."
Examples?

I think in general Japanese voice actors are more flexible and have a better range of voice/talent than their American counterparts. For many of the American VAs, it sounds like they are playing the same exact part every time. This is also true for some Japanese VAs, but it's usually few and they are easier to listen to repeatedly. Americans tend to be very brusque voices on characters that don't warrant it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-05-20, 08:50 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Examples? I think in general..."
I vastly perfer the dub for Trigun. Johnny Bosch is Vash. The Cowboy Bebop dub is phenomenal. The Last Exile dub is great. The Heat Guy J dub is awesome.

Oh, and probably the biggest example would be Hellsing. Not only is Crispin Glover a far better Alucard than his japanese counterpart, the actual dialogue has so much more character in the dub. Example (not exactly verbatim):

Episode 1

Subtitled Alucard: I feel like sucking some blood tonight.

Dubbed Alucard: It's a nice night. I think I'll have a bite to drink.

Glover's take on it is the far better of the two, and that's something that stays consistent throughout the entire series.. Granted, most of the rest of the english cast isn't quite as awesome as Crispin (with the exception of the guy who plays Paladin Anderson), but he alone makes the dub better than the sub.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2006-05-20, 09:08 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I vastly perfer the dub for Trigun. ..."
That's funny, because I think that both Alucard and Anderson especially are horrible and make me cry whenever I hear them in the dub.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2006-05-20, 09:53 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I vastly perfer the dub for Trigun. ..."
And the addition of the british accents brings a lot of life to the show as well. I just hope Hellsing Ultimate gets the same cast (though Seras could be replaced)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2006-05-23, 01:31 PM in reply to Rurouni Storm's post starting "And the addition of the british accents..."
Seras must be replaced.

Same with Integra.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign