Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Blizzard and Activision Announce $18.8bn Merger
Posted 2007-12-02, 12:05 PM
With respects to /.

BBC NEWS said:
The companies behind Call of Duty and World of Warcraft are merging in a deal which could shake up the global video games industry.

Activision and Blizzard have said they will form "the world's most profitable games business" in a deal worth $18.8bn (£9.15bn).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7123582.stm
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-12-02, 01:13 PM in reply to Grav's post "Blizzard and Activision Announce..."
Saying they will for the "world's most profitable" business makes me think they don't give a shit whether or not their games are good, just that they make money. Fuck Blizzard.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-12-02, 03:01 PM in reply to Grav's post "Blizzard and Activision Announce..."
Less of Blizzard and Activision announcing the merger, more of Blizzard's owning company, Vivendi, buying a controlling stake in Activision, and then merging the two.

Should be interesting - Blizzard are primarily PC, Activision are primarily consoles. Go figure?

Oh, and they're now the biggest third party publisher - EA *spit* are second.

Last edited by Lenny; 2007-12-02 at 03:04 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-12-02, 11:40 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Less of Blizzard and Activision..."
Holy fuck guys, this is in the News and Events forum! Keep your spam out of here.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-12-02, 11:47 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Holy fuck guys, this is in the News and..."
So we might end up with an FPS starcraft and first-person Diablo @_@?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2007-12-03, 12:07 AM in reply to kaos's post starting "So we might end up with an FPS..."
So why do I get my post removed and slaynish doesnt? Thats just racism.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2007-12-03, 06:30 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "So why do I get my post removed and..."
Vivendi is an oddly particular company, I'd say it's safe to assume that some sort of new gaming will come from this, they probably bought stock in them to get some new employees..

Here's a weird-though, Starcraft 2 on Steam? I mean they're all through Vivendi, and I would assume that they could implement a new system and totally get rid of Battle.net, or maybe just incorporate that into it.. the possibilities are Endless....

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-12-03, 08:05 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Vivendi is an oddly particular company,..."
Maybe a WW2 game where you shoot zerg and horde?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-12-03, 08:09 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Maybe a WW2 game where you shoot zerg..."
I'd be down with that.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-02-26, 08:54 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I'd be down with that."
What's odd. Now, I was on steam yesterday and bought CS (source) Finally, and seen a SHIT LOAD of games on there, because now that Activision and Bilzzard we're partners, and Steam is thrown into the mix, it's just one huge gaming monopoly.

I would imagine them using the steam platform for future games such as SC2 possibly, maybe integrate Battle.net into this somehow?...

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-02-26, 07:17 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "What's odd. Now, I was on steam..."
Blizzard is already rich enough! They are getting $15 a month from over 7 million people! That is more than $105 mill a month! There is no way that WOW costs that much to run. Or even close to it. Why do they now feel that they need more money?
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-02-26, 09:46 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Maybe a WW2 game where you shoot zerg..."
Willkillforfood said:
Maybe a WW2 game where you shoot zerg and horde?
LMAO. falaffal
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2008-03-01, 03:13 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Blizzard is already rich enough! They..."
Asamin said:
Blizzard is already rich enough! They are getting $15 a month from over 7 million people! That is more than $105 mill a month! There is no way that WOW costs that much to run. Or even close to it. Why do they now feel that they need more money?
I guess you don't understand the market economy do you?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-03-03, 12:55 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I guess you don't understand the market..."
Most likely not. But still. 105 Mill a month! You do think that is a bit much don't you?
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-03-03, 01:16 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Most likely not. But still. 105 Mill a..."
9 million now, actually. And when they release Return of the Lich King i'm sure they'll get atleast another 2-3 million within the first month of releasing it as new customers, and probably a good 80% of regular WoW members signing on. And don't forget SC:2, there's still tons of hype for that and i'm part of the bandwagon that will be hopping on once it's released, and it will too, probably cost money to play online.

And just imagine if Diablo 3 came out as a MMO, and charged to play online. Blizzard's earnings would be unimaginable.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-03-04, 04:10 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "9 million now, actually. And when they..."
That could end in being around 500 mill. That can't be argued as not to much.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2008-03-04, 07:01 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "That could end in being around 500..."
They're going to be making more than Microsoft in no time. Yikes!

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V