Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Lappy Help
Posted 2005-10-17, 11:20 AM
Girlfriend has a Latitude C640. She says if she leaves it on for more than an hour, it'll shut itself down and won't restart for a while.

My first guess is heat. It seems pretty logical. Something overheats. The computer shuts itself down and won't reboot until it's cooled off.

Anyhow, I tried to get into BIOS to watch the CPU temperature for a while, but I couldn't figure out how to pull it up. The boot screen comes on for about 2-3 seconds, and then the XP boot screen comes up. I can't escape out of it. I tried del, backspace, f10, f8... I dunno. Maybe I'm just hitting the wrong buttons.

Anyhow, I downloaded the only temperature monitor I could find from download.com in a pinch, but it only monitors HDD temp. So, her hdd went from ~80F to ~110F in like 10 minutes, but I didn't wait around to see how high it would climb, because I don't really know what temp HDDs are supposed to hit.

So, can anyone tell me

a) Is there a known problem with this model overheating?
b) How do I monitor the CPU temperature?
c) What can I do about cooling? The one small fan on the bottom seems to be working fine, so I don't really know what to do if the problem truly is heat.

kthx
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-10-17, 12:44 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Lappy Help"
I'd suggest getting Sisoft Sandra, which is able to monitor CPU temperatures aswell as loads of other things that might be wrong with the hardware.
http://www.octools.com/files/san2005.SR2a-1060-OTZ.exe
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
undeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenundeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

undeadzombieguy

Posted 2005-10-17, 03:56 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Lappy Help"
Try F2.
Be sure that the bottom intake is unobstructed. If you're placing it on something, it should be hard and flat.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-10-17, 07:01 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Try F2. Be sure that the bottom intake..."
Ya, it's sitting flat on a desk and seems to have okay ventilation. I could put some extra feet on it to give it some elevation...
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob