Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Posted 2007-04-17, 11:48 AM
http://49chevy.blogs.com/fusor/

Anyone ever visited this website? I know I have and find it to be very interesting. Soon I will be solving the world's energy problems!

It's got some plans for creating your own relatively cheap fusion reactor. I will shortly be fixing all the world's energy problems. Too bad there's not any viable net producing fusion reactors out there yet =D.

I'm not sure why I put this in this particular forum ...if a mod would like to move it then go for it.

Last edited by Lenny; 2007-04-17 at 12:18 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-04-17, 12:11 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "http://49chevy.blogs.com/fusor/..."
I plan to build a small star in my backyard and harness it's power to run my computer during blackouts
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-04-17, 12:16 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "http://49chevy.blogs.com/fusor/..."
"Hey, come look at this! I have a star in a magnetic bottle!" It's got great promise, just keep it the hell away from me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-04-17, 12:19 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting ""Hey, come look at this! I have a star..."
WetWired said:
"Hey, come look at this! I have a star in a magnetic bottle!" It's got great promise, just keep it the hell away from me.
qft IMO.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-17, 12:37 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "qft IMO."
Anti-matter is the way of the future!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-04-17, 05:46 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Anti-matter is the way of the future!"
Willkillforfood said:
Anti-matter is the way of the future!
Production of this is ridiculously hard with current technology. I read somewhere that we're capable of producing less than 10 nanograms a year and it takes billions to produce.

Found it in Wiki:
Wikipedia said:
This means to produce 1 gram of antimatter, CERN would need to spend 100 quadrillion dollars and run the antimatter factory for 100 billion years.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-04-17, 07:58 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Production of this is ridiculously hard..."
Get started I say. I want my warp drive.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-04-17, 09:32 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Get started I say. I want my warp drive."
If we produced it in large quantities we'd blow our world out of existance. I don't think we can be trusted with such godly power yet. Antimatter bombs would make nuclear bombs look like m80s.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-04-17, 09:59 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "If we produced it in large quantities..."
I'll take two.
!King_Amazon! said:
Just ask the married chick he fucked.

Who Delivers ten times out of ten?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MightyJoe

Posted 2007-04-17, 10:14 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "If we produced it in large quantities..."
Willkillforfood said:
If we produced it in large quantities we'd blow our world out of existance. I don't think we can be trusted with such godly power yet. Antimatter bombs would make nuclear bombs look like m80s.
Really? That's interesting, I've never heard that before. Why would splitting (or fusing?) an anti-nucleus (?) cause such a massive reaction? Are large enough anti-particles even known? I thought the only one we've created is antihydrogen?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-17, 11:07 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Really? That's interesting, I've never..."
An antimatter bomb is a device which mixes anti-matter with matter to cause a massive release of energy. E=mc²; the energy released by mixing 1g of matter with 1g of antimatter, destroying both is 1.8x10^14 Joules, or 49930843 killowatt-hours to use units easier to relate to.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-04-17, 11:24 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "An antimatter bomb is a device which..."
I see. That's pretty interesting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-18, 05:32 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "An antimatter bomb is a device which..."
Yeah, how would such a device even exist though? This isn't Star Trek where we have "anti-matter containers."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-04-18, 07:33 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Yeah, how would such a device even..."
If you keep the anti-electrons and anti-protons separate, they can be contained in a simple capacitive bottle.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2007-04-18, 12:29 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "If you keep the anti-electrons and..."
And I suppose that's... easy?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-04-18, 12:53 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "And I suppose that's... easy?"
GravitonSurge said:
We currently store anti-matter in a HUGE (and by huge I mean football fields in diamter) circular tube. They speed around it in a vacuum(sp? I never can spell it). E=MC^2 like WW said. C=the speed of light which is an amazingly huge number ...now squaring that adds insult to the injury. Let's say we had 50 pounds of that shit ...boom! =D.

Anyways, antimatter is the most powerful method we have right now to approach the speed of light, isn't it? I was watching a show on space propulsion and it said that antimatter explosions could possibly send ships at half of the speed of light. Now I'd like to see the ship that could take that kind of force and survive, though =P.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-04-18, 04:59 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "We currently store anti-matter in a..."
Willkillforfood said:
We currently store anti-matter in a HUGE (and by huge I mean football fields in diamter) circular tube. They speed around it in a vacuum(sp? I never can spell it). E=MC^2 like WW said. C=the speed of light which is an amazingly huge number ...now squaring that adds insult to the injury. Let's say we had 50 pounds of that shit ...boom! =D.

Anyways, antimatter is the most powerful method we have right now to approach the speed of light, isn't it? I was watching a show on space propulsion and it said that antimatter explosions could possibly send ships at half of the speed of light. Now I'd like to see the ship that could take that kind of force and survive, though =P.
That sounds horribly wrong to me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-04-18, 05:05 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "And I suppose that's... easy?"
GravitonSurge said:
I think it depends entirely on the antiparticle being stored, as it relates to electrical charge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penning_trap

Gives an example, to a degree.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-04-19, 09:11 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "That sounds horribly wrong to me."
Vollstrecker said:
That sounds horribly wrong to me.
It sounds horribly wrong to you? I'm going to actually devote time out of my day to looking up references now, thanks :/. All I know is it must be stored in some sort of a vacuum or something like that otherwise the gaseous particles of the air will collide with the positrons etc. and produce energy.

Ah, I was wrong. That's the tevatron. http://adcon.fnal.gov/userb/www/tevatron/

I guess that's where we get it from. It's stored in a magnetic bottle.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-04-20, 04:39 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "It sounds horribly wrong to you? I'm..."
That's it, you were describing Fermilab's Circular Particle Accelerator, which is one of the locations capable of producing Antiparticles.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker