Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Libertarianism
Posted 2008-02-09, 04:54 PM
Does anyone around here know what a Libertarian stands for aww man I have no enter key or punctuation Im going to have to go find a keyboard that works

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-09, 05:03 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post "Libertarianism"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian

Last edited by GravitonSurge; 2008-02-09 at 05:09 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-02-09, 05:06 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian"
I know what libertarianism is, I was wondering who, if anyone carries the same values on zelaron oh I do have a comma,,,

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-09, 05:09 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "I know what libertarianism is, I was..."
Define it in your own terms, so we're on the same page.

I like the idea of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minarchist
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-02-09, 06:12 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Define it in your own terms, so we're..."
That's pretty much where I am, I do believe the government is nessicary to enforce civil contracts and to prosecute those who use force to impose their will, We also need the federal government for national security, mainly because I see it to be difficult for just citizens, even armed citizens to fund the technological advances nessicary to stay ahead in the arms races or whatever you want to call it, I think Reagan would be my ideal president aside from his fairly strong religious beliefs, which I don't always see as a weakness as some atheists do, I do think a man like Reagan if athiest would be one of, if not The ideal president to help keep our nation's original principals intact, Ron Paul is in my eyes the Reagan of today, though I must disagree with him about immediatly pulling out of Iraq, we cannot leave that country untill the government is strong enough to prevent terrorist groups from moving in and corrupting large areas Sincere apologies about the big paragraph, I have no enter key

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-09, 06:17 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "That's pretty much where I am, I do..."
Pretty much the only reason these terrorist groups exist is because of us and Israel, though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2008-02-09, 07:23 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Pretty much the only reason these..."
Minding the fact that we might not really know whats going on in Iraq, But assuming that what I know is true, we cannot just leave the country without an established government to ward off the breeding of terrorists, we stabilize the country then minimalize our occupation of foreign countries, minimalize our associations with all nations, including trade agreements and such, maximize free trade, ect, but I believe minding our business is key to peace

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-09, 07:39 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "Minding the fact that we might not..."
I also think Reagan is becoming some kind of icon that represents something he wasn't.

If I thought Rawn Pall had any chance of winning, and the Dem candidate was not Obama, I would vote for him. Not because I agree with his agenda (he is, after all, fairly insane) but because he would at least stop the current push towards a police state.

"President Paul" sounds stupid, too. Paul is a first name.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2008-02-09, 07:52 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I also think Reagan is becoming some..."
To me he represents the understanding that government gets in the way of issues better solved in a free market, I'll likely be voting for Paul in the primary here in Virginia, though I might vote for the fairtax I m ight have to make that decision on tuesday, if Ron Paul was on the Libertarian ticket, I'd vote for him for sure, to do my part to weaken this obsurd two party system

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-09, 07:55 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "To me he represents the understanding..."
"Free market" is a term thrown around too much. It failed during the Great Depression.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2008-02-09, 07:59 PM in reply to Grav's post starting ""Free market" is a term thrown around..."
That is something I have yet to research, I assume the government caused it some how,

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-09, 08:08 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "That is something I have yet to..."
Look up John Maynard Keynes. His economic philosophy, Keynesian economics, originated because the classical way of thinking failed after the GD.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2008-02-09, 08:18 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Look up John Maynard Keynes. His..."
I'll read a couple articles on him when I get back from dinner; Ok, yea I agree with him to an extent, but even with the Fact that government investment in infrastructure results in economic activity and so forth, I think that government involvment should be minimal, I'm investigating further,,, Also I do realize that free market solutions are not perfect, but they are almost always better than government bureaucratic solutions

Last edited by Adrenachrome; 2008-02-09 at 09:52 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Adrenachrome