Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Look out man, 5-0!
Posted 2020-07-18, 06:21 PM
print(*[round((((5**0+5**.5)*.5)**O-((5**0+5**-.5)*.5)**O)*5**-.5) for O in range(0,50)])

Obviously you could do a lot worse in terms of obfuscation, but I like how that one-liner turned out anyway. What's your favorite obfuscated and/or confusing code?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2020-07-19, 06:55 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Look out man, 5-0!"
Chruser said: [Goto]
print(*[round((((5**0+5**.5)*.5)**O-((5**0+5**-.5)*.5)**O)*5**-.5) for O in range(0,50)])

Obviously you could do a lot worse in terms of obfuscation, but I like how that one-liner turned out anyway. What's your favorite obfuscated and/or confusing code?
Not at all what I expected. Then I looked closer at your statement and discovered all the golden ratios. Always knew that the ratio of successive terms in the fibonacci sequence tended to the golden ratio, but didn't realize that you could actually generate fibonacci terms that way. Pretty cool.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2020-07-20, 12:08 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Not at all what I expected. Then I..."
Demosthenes said: [Goto]
Not at all what I expected. Then I looked closer at your statement and discovered all the golden ratios. Always knew that the ratio of successive terms in the fibonacci sequence tended to the golden ratio, but didn't realize that you could actually generate fibonacci terms that way. Pretty cool.

I'm glad you liked it! Yes, linear recurrence relations like lend themselves well to explicit solutions by the transformation , but to be fair, there aren't really that many examples of them of order that are interesting. Nonlinear ones, such as the logistic map become very interesting and intractable very quickly, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovJcsL7vyrk

Personally, I think the weird connections between recurrence relations, differential equations, generating functions and derivatives are particularly fascinating. For example, the Legendre polynomials (which have a very large number of applications in physics, probability theory, etc) can be defined in either of the following four ways:

1. In terms of a recurrence relation (with ):

2. In terms of n-th derivatives:

3. As coefficients of a series expansion (from electrostatics):

4. As polynomial solutions of an ordinary differential equation (which you get from solving Laplace's equation in spherical coordinates):

If you play around with various polynomial sequences for a while (particularly orthogonal sequences), it becomes "obvious" that there's some sort of space or operator that connects all of the above. In other words, it's a bit like there "has to be" some algorithm to convert a differential equation to a recurrence relation, or vice versa, but the general theory for that is very poorly understood.

Also, as a cool sidenote, you can use the zeros of the n-th Legendre polynomial for numerical integration of many "nice" functions :

Gauss himself came up with that one, obviously...
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2020-07-23, 04:52 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I'm glad you liked it! Yes, linear..."
I guess I should have referred to one of my recent posts as well, on the topic of the golden ratio ...

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2020-08-26, 06:31 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I guess I should have referred to one..."
Apparently I managed to find a new (?) series for the n-th Fibonacci number somehow, which looks surprisingly terrible:

Presumably the summand can be simplified further, but I'm not seeing any obvious way of doing it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser