Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > Diablo III > Diablo I & II

What is "newb"
Posted 2004-06-22, 04:05 PM
I have always wondered why the word "newb" and it's variation has pratically become an insult? I remembered it WAS used to designate a person new to the game.

I don't know why some people feel insulted when they're called newb. To me it means nothing to be called a newb.

Like when you do something accidental in diablo like blocking the way in maggot, you get called newb... Or when you kill someone in a duel, they call you a newb while the term means someone new to the game.

Share the Pr0n, Not the lag
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ExT

Posted 2004-06-22, 04:07 PM in reply to ExT's post "What is "newb""
A newb is someone who has just started something. I'll use basketball as an example. If you are just playing basketball for the first time, chances are, you suck. Your new at the game. The d2 players, when they first start out and have no idea what everything is, usually suck pretty badly (bad builds, ect...). By calling you a newb, noob, n00b, or whatever, they are implying that your playing skills/build is comparable to some ass who doesn't even know how to play the game.

Last edited by Sovereign; 2004-06-22 at 04:28 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-06-22, 06:37 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "A newb is someone who has just started..."
lol sov u sound like a fuckin dictionary...thats why i give u the WEBSTERS DICTIONARY AWARD OF EXCELLENCE! lol
Eh Ma, Ima Gunna B An Engish Magor

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
koolio_kid2001 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkoolio_kid2001 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

koolio_kid2001

Posted 2004-06-23, 03:58 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "A newb is someone who has just started..."
I know that Sov, but what i want to know is why newb has become an insult. I'm not exactly a newb at D2 but still get called newb, i'm sure all of you here have been called newb once while you're not really one.

Share the Pr0n, Not the lag
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ExT

Posted 2004-06-23, 04:10 AM in reply to ExT's post starting "I know that Sov, but what i want to..."
People new to certain activities tend to suck. When someone calls you a newb, they are really saying you suck. I don't recall being told that I suck, albeit indirectly, can ever be a good thing. It's b.net lingo, I guess.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-06-23, 02:11 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "People new to certain activities tend..."
A newb is used alot when trading by ppl that try to get something for nothing or try to sell something for more than its worth its their form of insult in plying that you know nothing just like sov says a new person to the game.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Blackadder is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenBlackadder is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Blackadder

Posted 2004-06-23, 02:38 PM in reply to Blackadder's post starting "A newb is used alot when trading by ppl..."
I won't mind being called a noob for the pally I am building - it is my first. It might suck but that's fine, I can make another.

Though I play a lot I do not trade much so I am not experienced in making deals, so I might deserve the noob title there as well from time to time.

And, when it comes to bots and MH and things like that I am a total noob since I do not bot.

In games I usually don't call anyone a noob unless they are extremely annoying. Sometimes I go to free games to dump stuff and one asshole will be screaming FREE??? FREEE??? the entire time. They get the noob title.

Tis better to be chained to the rock than be bound to the service of Zeus
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Princess_Hibed is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPrincess_Hibed is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Princess_Hibed

Posted 2004-06-23, 02:44 PM in reply to Princess_Hibed's post starting "I won't mind being called a noob for..."
Well you know what I say! Zeus can go suck off hades, while I use my stone crusher ledgendary mallot to smash this pos rock.

Sov pwns all!!!!

I'm going to bed now... 18 hours of no sleep has made me stoopid...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sovereign

Posted 2004-06-23, 03:01 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Well you know what I say! Zeus can go..."
Hmmm, not sure that's what Aeschylus meant but your point is well taken.

Tis better to be chained to the rock than be bound to the service of Zeus
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Princess_Hibed is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPrincess_Hibed is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Princess_Hibed

Posted 2004-06-23, 04:01 PM in reply to Princess_Hibed's post starting "Hmmm, not sure that's what Aeschylus..."
Sov, that was just spam, setting a bad example for influential young people like myself -.-

Greek Myth sucks wang (Failed that class last semester, hate that stuff)

--

Anyway, newb is just an insult, it probably didn't originate on B.Net because I hear people say it about a lot of activities.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
`Insolence` is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between`Insolence` is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

`Insolence`

Posted 2004-06-24, 07:54 AM in reply to `Insolence`'s post starting "Sov, that was just spam, setting a bad..."
`Insolence` said:
Greek Myth sucks wang (Failed that class last semester, hate that stuff)
Try Egyptian. I think that was more odd than Greek...

If not, you could beat yourself with the Tedious Stick and be forced to spend a WHOLE SEMESTER on Islam in 7th grade like I was...

On-Topic: Noob started out as an insult by stating someone is 'new' to the game and whatnot (meaning you don't know jack shit). Now, it's merely applied to someone they consider annoying. It's funny, I get called a noob a lot, and been playing for 4-5 years (whenever this game came out).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker