Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Need Help, Stuck on Calc 1 Homework!!
Posted 2020-06-03, 04:49 PM
Find the critical points of and use the second derivative test to classify them as relative maxima or relative minima, where

I'm completely stuck with this question; it is much harder than the ones on the exam. I'd appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction as to where/how to start.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2020-06-05, 10:47 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Need Help, Stuck on Calc 1 Homework!!"
Chruser said: [Goto]
Find the critical points of and use the second derivative test to classify them as relative maxima or relative minima, where

I'm completely stuck with this question; it is much harder than the ones on the exam. I'd appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction as to where/how to start.
Do you even mathematica, bro?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2020-07-01, 11:56 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Do you even mathematica, bro?"
Demosthenes said: [Goto]
Do you even mathematica, bro?
If this was stack overflow he'd now comment "Figured it out" but not explain it.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2020-07-01, 05:47 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "If this was stack overflow he'd now..."
Asamin said: [Goto]
If this was stack overflow he'd now comment "Figured it out" but not explain it.
If this was Stack Overflow he'd be on the wrong website.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2020-07-01, 10:49 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "If this was Stack Overflow he'd be on..."
Demosthenes said: [Goto]
If this was Stack Overflow he'd be on the wrong website.
Wouldn't be the first time someone made that mistake
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2020-07-02, 02:46 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "If this was stack overflow he'd now..."
Asamin said: [Goto]

Well, at least you get to know that your obscure compiler error message that you've battled for days probably has a solution. You're bound to find it if you just give it another day or two... Maybe.

I think the closest analogy of the above that I've seen in math comes from a mysterious Math Underflow user named Cleo. Specifically, Cleo would repeatedly post exact solutions to tricky nonstandard integrals that Mathematica/Maple/etc couldn't handle, without explanation, hours or days before anyone else managed to solve them. Sufficient to annoy a portion of the site's users, apparently:

https://math.stackexchange.com/quest.../563063#563063

Norbert said:
This style of answer is complete disrespect. This situation seems for me like this: Cleo found interesting problem, and solved it. He is lazy to write the solution but want to show how clever he is, so decided to post only the final result. The reference to the definition of golden ratio made me laugh. If OP asks question of such level he definitely familiar with this constant. Note that this is not a single example. ALL Cleo's answer are of this style, and even after polite ephasis that these answers is not what OP's wanted he continues to post only final results!

Carl Mummert said:
Answers such as this add no value to the site - simply stating a number out of thin air is not 'mathematics'.

user142198 said:
I agree with Carl - What good does stroking your ego do in terms of teaching people how to solve these problems? Also, this doesn't even answer the question: "How [do I] evaluate this integral?"
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2020-07-02 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Yes
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2020-07-02, 11:18 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Well, at least you get to know that..."
Thank goodness I've seen less and less of the Cleo type person on help forums but it's almost like even in a super well-meaning community, there's always that toxic dude who just gets joy out of making other people's lives hard.

I would argue that he, by definition, is a great mathematician, but a horrible one at the same time. If he was truly as good as he seems to claim to be, it would be trivial for him to write up even the most basic solution. Hell, just take a picture of how you solved it and upload it, show the code, anything.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin