Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Street Bike pondering..
Posted 2008-06-04, 10:28 AM
Recently, one of my buddies just got a nice little 600cc Yamaha, (not sure of the model). Nice sporty little bike, very quick (it's a BIKE! of course it's fast) and gets very, excellent gas mileage.

Now, I've first handedly seen a motorcycle crash and it's a horrible site, and we've experienced a death very close to our family at the hands of a motorcycle (no helmet.. RIP Luke), but my loathing of owning and cruising around on a motorcycle, will never, ever die. I've recently grabbed an AutoTrade for bikes (don't even remember what specfically it's called) but it's got a section filled with Crotch rockets, and many for very reasonable prices, something I could afford.

I would want to start out on a small 600cc, or something similar, to learn on atleast, maybe even a bit smaller..

Anyways, where i'm getting at does anybody have any experience riding bikes? I've driven around dirt bikes and four wheelers before, but of course a street bike is slightly different, any tips? Any suggestions?

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-06-04, 10:37 AM in reply to D3V's post "Street Bike pondering.."
Start on a 600cc? Nah-ah, no way. Start on a 600cc and you'll be the next twitching body video on YouTube.

Don't know what they do in America, but on this side of the pond, people who are starting out usually start by riding a scooter. From that they usually go to a 125cc bike (which you might be able to start on, actually), then up to 500cc, and then you can do what you want.

Even though you've driven dirt bikes, I'd still try a 125cc before you go crazy. It might be different in America again, but the places over here that teach you to ride bikes usually have their own 125cc bikes that they teach you on in private yards, before moving onto the roads with a 500cc bike.

There's no point jumping in at the deep-end with bikes - unlike cars, you're not protected if the prick in the Beamer decides to pull out in front of you, and you can't control the bike because it's too powerful for you as you've never learnt how to handle it. Take it slowly. Sure, it might cost a bit more because of lessons, but you'll be glad of it.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-06-04 at 10:39 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-06-04, 10:41 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Start on a 600cc? Nah-ah, no way. Start..."
Well i'm already pretty efficient on riding a 125cc dirt bike, I figured the next jump would be to 600, but I guess that would be a tad bit high, i'm just going off of what one of my retarded friends has informed me about..

I think I honestly though, would go with your advice. I need to to just get used to a bike in general, before going with one with some actual power.

Over here in the states basically you take this little test before you can even purchase a bike, now. (Trying to prevent so many deaths on the road..) The test itself isn't too difficult, somewhat similar to the car driving test, you just need some general knowledge and need to know what you're doing before you get out there....

I'll keep an eye out, and maybe even link up here some of the bikes I may be interested in..

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V