Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Read more.
Posted 2009-07-06, 04:13 PM
It has been suggested, and now will be followed up.

Please list books to help expand my mind, and my general philsophies on life.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-07-06, 04:20 PM in reply to D3V's post "Read more."
The Riftwar saga by Raymond E. Feist is good fantasy, as is the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series by Karen Miller. The Redemption of Althalus was also pretty good.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-07-06, 04:26 PM in reply to D3V's post "Read more."
On the Sci-Fi front, I only have two recommendations (I've not read as much SF as I would like):

- Dune by Frank Herbert - widely considered one of the best SF books ever published.
- Ringworld by Larry Niven - again, considered to be very good. One of SF's classics.

Oh, mustn't forget The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, but who hasn't read that?

Fantasy books, on the other hand... well, I've read hundreds! A few off the top of my head:

- Anything by Terry Pratchett in his Discworld series. I started with Wyrd Sisters. The series starts with The Colour of Magic (if you've seen the two-part film with David Jason, forget it - the book is far superior).
- One of my favourite series at the moment is Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen (starts with Gardens of the Moon). You've got to be in the mindset to read it, because it is a bastard to get in to (though I had no troubles). The series as a whole is slowly growing to a close, and is a fantastic example of epic fantasy. It also bucks the trend in that it's not all castles and elves and orcs. You might prefer George R. R. Martin's A Sword of Ice and Fire.
- Walter Moers is a nice example of crazy imagination - The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, Rumo and City of Dreaming Books (he's got a fourth out soon).

I'm not sure which genre it falls under (Sci-Fi, possibly), but Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes is supposed to be very moving, and a definite one to read if you want your view of the world thrown out of kilter.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-07-07, 12:45 AM in reply to D3V's post "Read more."
Harry freakin' Potter.

Just don't read Twilight. I haven't, myself, but my friend did, and he compaired to it screwing a fat chick. At first you're all into it, but by the time you're done, you're sitting on your bed, in the middle of the night, looking down at your feet and thinking "... did I seriously just do that!??? "
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-07-07, 08:28 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Harry freakin' Potter. Just don't..."
It's a very sad thing when I can't remember the last book that i've read through and finished (it's been a logn time).

Quote:
- Dune by Frank Herbert - widely considered one of the best SF books ever published.
I've actually seen the movie (told you I believe) and I liked the premise of it. I would consider going to the public library and checking it out to give it a go, but I think i'll start with something non sci-fi at first.

Quote:
Harry freakin' Potter
We read the first one back in like Jr High and that was entirely enough for me. The book never has interested me in the slightest.

Quote:
Just don't read Twilight
Don't worry, I never will.

I still have on my list is 1984, George Orwell's little masterpeice that everyone has always talked about and recommended. I'll see what I can't check out on Amazon and give something a shot.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-07-07, 09:18 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "It's a very sad thing when I can't..."
D3V said: [Goto]
I've actually seen the movie (told you I believe) and I liked the premise of it. I would consider going to the public library and checking it out to give it a go, but I think i'll start with something non sci-fi at first.

I imagine the film was completely different to the book - the book itself has a lot of politics in it (people find the first couple of hundred pages very hard to get into because there is so much politics, all to do with the story world, obviously), and the Sci-Fi elements take more of a back seat, in the grand scheme of things.

---

Another one (with film adaptations, which are completely different to the book) is Richard Matheson's I Am Legend.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-07-08, 11:14 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I imagine the film was completely..."
Mastership: The Divine Law by Clymer

It's a more spiritual book if you're interested.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2009-07-08, 11:26 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "It's a very sad thing when I can't..."
You could try reading Manga or comics. They have pretty pictures, and suprisingly long words.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-07-08, 11:39 AM in reply to D3V's post "Read more."
Try this: www.gorgorat.com
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-07-09, 12:26 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Try this: www.gorgorat.com"
Debatable Space

Magic Kingdom of Landover

The tattoo on your mothers ass.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-07-09, 06:15 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Debatable Space Magic Kingdom of..."
Oh my god SYG is off da HOOK 2nite!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-07-09, 06:28 PM in reply to D3V's post "Read more."
For the fantasy genre, Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle is great, imo.

The books so far are:

Eragon
Eldest
Brisingr
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2009-08-09, 02:36 PM in reply to D3V's post "Read more."
Well? How's it going?

Have you read any of the books people have suggested, or anything at all?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2009-08-21, 04:26 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Well? How's it going? Have you read..."
I'm going to take that as a no...

As for Twilight, apparently the book is decent (definitely a story for teenage girls, though); it's the film that destroys it all.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2009-09-13, 02:32 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I'm going to take that as a no... As..."
You didn't reply to me, D3V.

Are you, or are you not, reading more?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2009-09-13, 03:28 PM in reply to D3V's post "Read more."

Lenny suggested Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.
Add one point to that, the book Mort was very good.
==================================================
[Recommended for you are]
Charles Darwin:
>> On The Origin of Species
>> The Descendent of Man
Richard Dawkins:
>> The God Delusion
>> The Selfish Gene
Albert Einstein:
>> Relativity - The Special and General Theory
Stephen Hawking:
>> A Brief History of Time
Friedrich Nietzsche:
>> The Antichrist
Bertrand Russell:
>> Why I am Not a Christian
Carl Sagan:
>> Billions and Billions
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mdselctr shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeMdselctr shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Mdselctr

Posted 2009-09-30, 02:36 PM in reply to D3V's post "Read more."
Of the graphic variety, Garth Ennis' Preacher and Grant Morrison's The Invisibles, both series are excellent.

George Eliot's Middlemarch

Albert Camus - The Stranger and The Myth of Sisyphus I'd suggest reading both.

For poetry, Tennyson's Ulysses and The Kraken are always good. Of course, T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land if you haven't already read it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mutant Couch shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeMutant Couch shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Mutant Couch

Posted 2009-09-30, 08:21 PM in reply to Mdselctr's post starting "Lenny suggested Terry Pratchett's..."
Mdselctr said: [Goto]

Lenny suggested Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.
Add one point to that, the book Mort was very good.
==================================================
[Recommended for you are]
Charles Darwin:
>> On The Origin of Species
>> The Descendent of Man
Richard Dawkins:
>> The God Delusion
>> The Selfish Gene
Albert Einstein:
>> Relativity - The Special and General Theory
Stephen Hawking:
>> A Brief History of Time
Friedrich Nietzsche:
>> The Antichrist
Bertrand Russell:
>> Why I am Not a Christian
Carl Sagan:
>> Billions and Billions
Isn't is scary how people practically become obsessed with how they aren't in a religion!?
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2009-10-06, 07:37 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Isn't is scary how people practically..."
Not really. I still haven't read The God Delusion. I think that may be first on my list still.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V