Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

WoW! Pun Intended
Posted 2010-06-10, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Account Name: *****

Account Action: 72 Hour Suspension
Reason for Action: Terms of Use Violation -- Exploitative Activity: Abuse of the Economy

This suspension happened because one or more characters on the account were identified exchanging, or contributing to the exchange of, in-game property (items or gold) for "real-world" currency. This exchange process negatively impacts the World of Warcraft game environment by detracting from the value of the in-game economy.

Even if this behavior is the result of a third party accessing the account instead of the registered user (for example, a friend, family member, or leveling service) then the account can still be held responsible for the penalty because of the impact it had on the game environment.

We've found the above behavior is many times directly related to groups responsible for compromising World of Warcraft accounts; we take these issues very seriously. To better understand our position against exploitative activity and the risks involved, please review this article: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/.../antigold.html

The exploitative activity that took place on this account violates the World of Warcraft Terms of Use. We ask you take a moment to review these terms at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html. Note that additional Terms of Use violations may result in more severe actions against this account, up to and including permanent closure.

For any disputes of this action, please visit the Exploitative Activity FAQ and Contact page here: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/exploitfaq

Regards,
Blizzard Entertainment Support
Ok. So I woke up this morning and tried to log on around 5:30 to do a little AHing. Hmm, my account seems to have an Authentication Code put on it. So I do a google search and see it could mean hacker. Uh oh.
So I jump on Armory and check my main. Bam Lvl 80 Protadin stripped clean... Only my 80 rogue escaped with gear intact... 80 hunter also cleaned, and my bank/alts. Over 10k gold total. The little fuck even ran a dungeon on the hunter before he cleaned him.
Then I check my email 6 hours later and he's found out I changed my wow and email passwords, so he tried to reset them both and failed, then as I'm figuring this out, Blizz sends me the above email. Damn! Suckers quick. WoW blackmarket is hot.

Heres my question. If he paid to have the account Authenticator added to keep me out, can't they trace the credit card #?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hayduke is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenHayduke is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hayduke

Posted 2010-06-10, 02:00 PM in reply to Hayduke's post "WoW! Pun Intended"
Yes, I would imagine so. If he used a credit card; however, if the credit card was one of those pre-paid from wal-mart credit cards it would be impossible to trace given the information on the card could be completely false and nobody would ever know.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-06-10, 02:06 PM in reply to Hayduke's post "WoW! Pun Intended"
First: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=puns

Second: You don't pay to have an authenticator added to your account, you buy the authenticator from the blizzard store and then add it to whatever account you want. It costs like $6 for one. There's no good excuse for you not having one, and getting one would have prevented what happened to you from happening 100%. I suppose technically they could look to see the name of the person who purchased the authenticator, but you could probably get a pre-paid visa or some shit to buy it, and they likely won't do that for you anyway because it's your own stupid fault. See this thread for more information on the Blizzard authenticator.

Third:

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2010-06-10 at 02:09 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-06-10, 03:59 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "First: ..."
1. Duly noted.

2. I didn't even know about authenticators till this happened. It seems like blizzard shouldn't be making a profit off this and it should be a standard that you won't get hacked. (After reading the other post. I can see why it would be a good idea to have one as a hacker and just slip it on any account your using. Buys you more time plus other benefits.)

3. Thanks.

So, I'm going on my third call to Blizz support, first 2 times it was 40 mins and they told me to call back at a later point and disconnected me. Atm, I'm going on a 75min call... This is madness. I've checked Armory again and now the rogue is completely missing from the list. Not a good sign. Even after I do get through and prove it's my account and I had nothing to do w/ it, it'll still be 8-10+ days before they can fully restore my items/gear.

Last edited by Hayduke; 2010-06-10 at 04:10 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hayduke is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenHayduke is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hayduke

Posted 2010-06-11, 03:24 AM in reply to Hayduke's post starting "1. Duly noted. 2. I didn't even know..."
I'm not sure if Blizzard even makes any money off of the authenticators. I think the $6.50 they charge you includes shipping. I agree though, it should be standard. They should stick one in every game box and add $5 to the price. It would completely get rid of hackers, which would greatly reduce the gold seller spam (as gold sellers get their product from stolen accounts and from people selling the gold to them.)

I hadn't heard about hackers putting authenticators on stolen accounts before, that's actually pretty clever. A single authenticator can be tied to as many accounts as you want, so a hacker could simple procure one authenticator and stick it on every account they steal.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-06-11, 07:00 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I'm not sure if Blizzard even makes any..."
I thought the authenticator's were a bust?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2010-06-11, 07:10 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "I thought the authenticator's were a..."
I dunno what would give you that impression. The Blizzard Store had sold out of them for a little while a year or two ago, but they're incredibly successful, at least at protecting your account. It generates a 6 digit code that changes every minute. It's pretty much impossible for someone to get into your account without your authenticator, even if they have your username and password. And it's $6.50. If anything, Blizzard just needs to publicize it more. It's ultimate account security at hardly any cost, and like I said, if everyone got one of these there would be a lot less gold spam once the suppliers start running out of supply.

And I think the best way they could go about getting people to use these things would be to make it policy that if your account is stolen, your characters and items are not restored. It would free up a lot of Blizzard's resources for other legitimate problems instead of them having to help dumbasses who get their accounts stolen. But they wont do that because they would probably lose subscribers because too much of their user base is made up of these dumbasses.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2010-06-11 at 07:13 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-06-11, 07:14 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I dunno what would give you that..."
I thought I had read somewhere that they were easily hacked. I could be wrong, its been a while.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2010-06-11, 08:58 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "I thought I had read somewhere that..."
Quote:
And I think the best way they could go about getting people to use these things would be to make it policy that if your account is stolen, your characters and items are not restored. It would free up a lot of Blizzard's resources for other legitimate problems instead of them having to help dumbasses who get their accounts stolen. But they wont do that because they would probably lose subscribers because too much of their user base is made up of these dumbasses.
This.

I feel if your account was hacked, 99% of the time it's nothing more than said 'x' user being a retard and either clicking on a link that has a logger, or simply having a retarded password or something of the such. I've never had any account stolen ever, so I can't realate. I feel bad, but at the same time it probably is slightly your own fault somewhere along the line.

I did notice yesterday when I logged into WoW in-game they had a message about Hackers figuring out more and more ways recently to get into people's accounts. Good times.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-06-11, 09:19 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "I thought I had read somewhere that..."
Kazilla said: [Goto]
I thought I had read somewhere that they were easily hacked. I could be wrong, its been a while.
That seems highly unlikely but if you have an article or something on it I'd love to read it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-06-11, 09:23 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That seems highly unlikely but if you..."
As far as I've heard, they are nearly impossible to hack if at all. Like K_A said, you would have to actually have the authenticor itself given that it's a random generated code that updates itself regularly and you cannot change account information without having that code. It's basically a refreshing encryption that is only visible on the thumb drive looking thing.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-06-11, 10:38 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "As far as I've heard, they are nearly..."
Touche
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2010-06-11, 10:49 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "Touche"
The only way I could see a hacker ever getting around an authenticator would be for them to directly hack Blizzard's servers, figure out the serial number of your authenticator from their servers/database, and figure out the algorithm for your specific authenticator from their servers/database. And if someone had the capability to even hack Blizzard's servers to that level, I would imagine authenticators are the least of their worries.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-06-11, 10:50 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "Touche"
So has Blizzard helped you out at all? I would argue that after paying hundreds of dollars endorsing their product they owe it to you to absolutely give your property back which was stolen while under their supervision. Spin it on them if they try dicking around with you.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-06-11, 10:55 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "So has Blizzard helped you out at all?..."
D3V said: [Goto]
they owe it to you to absolutely give your property back which was stolen while under their supervision.
Except it isn't his property (as stated in the EULA, any and all characters, items, etc, are property of Blizzard) and Blizzard had nothing to do with it being stolen, nor could they have prevented it.

I'm actually going to change my previous suggestion. I don't think they should help anyone who gets their account stolen, unless they purchase an authenticator and link it to the account that was stolen. I think that's completely fair, and more than Blizzard is even obligated to do.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2010-06-11 at 10:58 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-06-11, 11:24 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Except it isn't his property (as stated..."
Quote:
Except it isn't his property (as stated in the EULA, any and all characters, items, etc, are property of Blizzard) and Blizzard had nothing to do with it being stolen, nor could they have prevented it.
This is true. What I was mentioning was just in lieu to persuade Blizzard to restore his account. I agree, Authenticators should be mandatory. And I agree that they are not required to restore anything, or to even help out. However, what if people are getting hacked through a glitch/bug in the game, in the armory?

Maybe they should consider giving out free authenticators to all players, that'd be a great incentive on top of the $15/mo all 10 million subscribers pay.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-06-11, 10:56 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "This is true. What I was mentioning was..."
Ok. So after all those hours on hold I got through to a guy. He was super helpful and amiable. He said that he would put in a ticket to have the 72hour ban removed from the account, but that the bad news was the wait time for those tickets is well over 72hours. Still it's good to see that I had it refuted. Secondly, he put in a ticket to have everything restored. Said it could be up to 2 weeks. Probably more like 10 days give or take.

Now, as far as the hacking. Yes I will agree most people do STUPID things. Like go to websites that people on WoW are promoting. That's why I was BLOWN AWAY when I had fallen vitctim. I'm sure most WoW player's know the name Curse Client. It's for add-ons. Very user friendly, fast, a very professional system/website. Here's the catch. They don't upgrade their program through their own servers. They use a "torrent" type of system where you are downloading it from other users. Therefore if you know this, you can literally have people download whatever you want unknowingly. He talked a little more about it but I don't remember the specifics. The program generally only initiates when you have Curse running and/or WoW. Therefore hiding it from virus/malware scans.

Son of a bitch.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Hayduke

Posted 2010-06-11, 11:41 PM in reply to Hayduke's post starting "Ok. So after all those hours on hold I..."
lol, you didn't know to not use the curse client? Always manually install add-ons, fool. Lesson learned!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-06-12, 01:11 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "lol, you didn't know to not use the..."
Eh, never heard that before or read it anywhere and I've read a few WoW forums.. Makes sense though. Lesson learned indeed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Hayduke

Posted 2010-06-14, 09:34 AM in reply to Hayduke's post starting "Eh, never heard that before or read it..."
I don't buy it. I've had curse client add-on on my computer and i'm still up and running. I've been using curse add-on's since 05-06'ish and still have had no key-logger/no account stolen.

I'm not buying it at all. I'm guessing (no offense) that you are a retard, went and google'd some sort of add-on and went to a third-party website and ended up installing a non-legitimate add-on and ran sort of .exe that wasn't originally involved in the add-on.

If you downloaded it anywhere besides curse.com then it is your own fault, and yes, you are stupid. No offense. I'm assuming you did so?

Blizzard is just telling you what they assume, because they like you, have no idea what you did to get yourself hacked. Add-on's are completely safe. It is impossible to get an .exe through a well-known site with a massive player base such as curse.com and I really don't imagine that you downloaded something from there and it inevitably got your account hacked.

Quote:

Last edited by D3V; 2010-06-14 at 09:36 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V