Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

It's about time!!!
Posted 2008-08-15, 05:20 PM
http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newssto...815-1548298233
Quote:
HARROLD, Texas - A tiny Texas school district will allow teachers and staff members to carry concealed firearms to protect against school shootings when classes begin this month, provided the gun-toting employees follow certain requirements.

The small community of Harrold in north Texas is a 30-minute drive from the Wilbarger County Sheriff's Office, leaving students and teachers without protection, said David Thweatt, superintendent of the Harrold Independent School District. The lone campus of the 110-student district sits near a heavily traveled highway, which could make it a target, he argued.

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a dog," Thweatt said in a story published Friday on the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Web site.

Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.

Trustees approved the policy change last year. For employees to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations; and must ammunition designed to minimize the risk of ricocheting bullets.

Officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change, Thweatt said. The district also has other measures in place to prevent a school shooting, he said.

"The naysayers think (a shooting) won't happen here. If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them," Thweatt said.

Texas law outlaws firearms at schools unless specific institutions allow them.

It isn't clear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers.
Obviously time will tell if this becomes effective, or if students start using the teachers' guns to commit mass murders, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

Anyone else suspect Texas would be the first to adopt this kind of policy?
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2008-08-15, 07:48 PM in reply to Draco2003's post "It's about time!!!"
ya heck anyone in texas has a gun handy
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2008-08-15, 09:07 PM in reply to Draco2003's post "It's about time!!!"
No wonder George Bush is so fucked up. He's from Texas!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-08-15, 10:37 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "No wonder George Bush is so fucked up...."
HandOfHeaven said: [Goto]
No wonder George Bush is so fucked up. He's from Texas!
ZING!
hohisgay1/1
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2008-08-16, 04:40 AM in reply to Draco2003's post "It's about time!!!"
At first, it sounds like a good idea (well, after you get past the fact that all the teachers will be carrying guns), and then you think, "All the damned teachers will be carrying guns. I'd hate to be the kid in the third row who's always stirring up trouble!". What if a teacher snaps?

The reasons for the teachers carrying guns are, quite frankly, awful:

- It's near a motorway, so there's a chance someone will kill them all. What?!
- We've let it be known that schools are unprotected, ergo there's more chance of someone walking in and killed everyone. Shit. There are thousands of school in the UK which are without gun turrets and armed soldiers marching around the school perimeter. That's it, I'm not going to Uni, I'll get fucking shot!
- The fella in charge would much more prefer to phone a parent to say their child is OK because the teacher cracked out the sawn-off shotgun and blasted that bastard killer in the face. That's pathetic. What are the odds of such a tiny school in Texas being threatened? A tiny percentage of a percent?

If I were an insane, gun-weilding, school shooter, I'd make my way over to this school just to test them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-08-16, 08:35 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "At first, it sounds like a good idea..."
Guns or no I still opt for training. You cannot expect a teacher to automatically be better than the bad guy with a gun and the bad guy is crazy so he will actually shoot someone. The teacher would probably just panic. Teachers carrying tazers would be more effective.

Besides Texas has Chuck Norris.
skurai said: [Goto]
big Foot -
A Big Monkey. So?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
hotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

hotdog

Posted 2008-08-16, 02:11 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "At first, it sounds like a good idea..."
Lenny said:
- It's near a motorway, so there's a chance someone will kill them all. What?!
I think it means that it is an "ideal" target, because there is an easily accessible escape route, and with officials being 30 minutes away, the shooter could be long gone if and when he decides to run.

Lenny said:
- We've let it be known that schools are unprotected, ergo there's more chance of someone walking in and killed everyone. Shit. There are thousands of school in the UK which are without gun turrets and armed soldiers marching around the school perimeter. That's it, I'm not going to Uni, I'll get fucking shot!
Well, maybe across the pond, but in America, criminals start out young. Sometimes even middle school (6th - 8th grades) and as such, schools have metal detectors and security on patrol almost all the time. Still kids bring weapons in and do damage.
EDIT: This is only in the ghetto areas where crime rates are high, as are gang population.

Lenny said:
- The fella in charge would much more prefer to phone a parent to say their child is OK because the teacher cracked out the sawn-off shotgun and blasted that bastard killer in the face. That's pathetic. What are the odds of such a tiny school in Texas being threatened? A tiny percentage of a percent?
Actually, if someone decided to go on a rampage, I am sure they would pick a location that would yield the most targets with the lowest threat from any law enforcement. I'm not sure if you heard about, or if it was posted here, but one dude shot up an Amish school. Took someone 2 hours to go to the next town to call police, and another hour and a half before they got to the location. Luckily he wasn't hell bent on killing everything with a breath.

And wouldn't you rather your parents get a call letting them know the teacher shot some raving lunatic rather than them get a message that poor Lenny was shot 27 times because he might have possibly shared a remote thought pattern almost partialy similar to someone that offended the shooter, or so the shooter thought?

Also, it appears that each teacher will be trained to handle high-stress situations and how to handle thier fire-arms.
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2008-08-16, 10:17 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "At first, it sounds like a good idea..."
Most of the kids that teachers hate deserve to die anyways. Yay!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-08-18, 02:24 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Most of the kids that teachers hate..."
ya schools are apart of the money loving sons of a bitches in washington and in towns
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123