Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Posted 2008-03-17, 12:25 PM
EDIT: The debate is...

Plastic Passion - a large majority of the acting community that is seen by millions on TV and in films (whether they be American or otherwise, though this jockey's view is that the main offenders are the American ilk) are 'pretty' in a plastic way. Rather than natural beauty, in both conventional and unconventional terms, the prettyness is faked by way of make-up, 'photoshopping', and even plastic surgery in extreme circumstances.

Discuss.

---

Thanatos said:
Are you biased towards English chicks?
Possibly...

To me, most American actresses seem... plasticy. I might be generalising terribly here, but there seems to be, in America, a feeling that only the 'pretty' people should appear on screen. A classic example is The Office. From what I heard and read, the producers of the American version of The Office recast the entire show because the English cast weren't 'pretty' enough.

The same goes for American film - I can't instantly think of an American actress, or even an actor, who isn't 'pretty' in some way, or plasticy.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-03-17 at 01:36 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-17, 12:30 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "EDIT: The debate is... Plastic..."

Have you seen the American cast of The Office? http://www.tv.com/the-office/show/22343/cast.html

Look again..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-03-17, 12:39 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "..... Have you seen the American..."
Quote:
The same goes for American film - I can't instantly think of an American actress, or even an actor, who isn't 'pretty' in some way, or plasticy.
Jack Black

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-03-17, 01:05 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "..... Have you seen the American..."

IMO, far less 'pretty' actors in the English version.

I'm going to posts not relating to Alba and Biel into an O&D thread.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-17, 01:08 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us..."
They're all ugly.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-03-17, 01:29 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us..."
Lenny, you just like Americans too much .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-03-17, 01:34 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "They're all ugly."
Which lot?

---

And for people who have just joined us here on 125.9 FM, Radio Zelaron, todays subject of discussion is titled Plastic Passion - a large majority of the acting community that is seen by millions on TV and in films (whether they be American or otherwise, though this jockey's view is that the main offenders are the American ilk) are 'pretty' in a plastic way. Rather than natural beauty, in both conventional and unconventional terms, the prettyness is faked by way of make-up, 'photoshopping', and even plastic surgery in extreme circumstances.

Discuss.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-17, 01:59 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Which lot? --- And for people..."
Both groups. I don't see a standout in either of them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2008-03-17, 02:30 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Both groups. I don't see a standout in..."
Lenny. Look, first off the casting for The Office here stateside has had much more funding and money for casting, compared to it's Eastern counterpart, which had hired lower class actors (no offense) and even still, the Office cast over here isn't that plasticy. Maybe you've been watching too much of 'The OC'..

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-03-17, 03:04 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Lenny. Look, first off the casting for..."
The only programmes I watch are Top Gear, Have I Got News For You, Torchwood, and Doctor Who. Four completely English (well, British - TW can be considered Welsh) series.

---

Lenny said:
From what I heard and read, the producers of the American version of The Office recast the entire show because the English cast weren't 'pretty' enough.
What I read and the people who I heard it from were obviously wrong.

But The OC is a classic example of plastic, I take it. Yes?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-17, 03:18 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "The only programmes I watch are Top..."
Well, you decide

It's basically a fake reality show with failed models living under their parents wealth. I see what your point is Lenny, but I feel really that it can hold true with about anything, any show atleast. And yes, we do have an obsession with the plastic look, and good teeth.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-03-17, 03:39 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Well, you decide ..."
If you notice the difference between first season 'not-so popular' shows and later seasons in same shows, you can see how they got 'hollywoodized'. Examples would be Scrubs and House. Lol, both doctor shows.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-03-17, 04:09 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Well, you decide ..."
Good teeth, eh?

Richard Hammond - probably the best looking presenter on BBC.

And this is who he works with:

And Stiggy:

Talking about teeth, though, Hamster is always teased about his teeth by Clarkson and May - at the end of a series he had bad, yellow teeth, he came back the next one and they were white.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-17, 05:37 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Good teeth, eh? ..."
Your British actors look too much like people.

Seriously. And they look like Brits.

That's why they recast the American Office.

If I wanted to look at real people I'd go outside, not watch a show. And people think that acting is hard. It's not, anyone can do it. Hence, all the pretty people who have no real skills or intelligence because they've been pageanted by mommy and daddy all their lives become actors.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-03-17, 05:44 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Your British actors look too much like..."
Now that's a good point, and might have been better for me to make about the English Office compared with the American version - real people versus actors.

Which is another point to throw into the discussion topic - a large majority of the acting community seen in films and on television, as well as having 'prettiness' don't look like people you'd meet in the street.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-17, 05:52 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Now that's a good point, and might have..."
The Michael in the American Office is more womanly, and is a more typical American metrosexual. Gay jokes ensue.

It's just localization.

-----

To adress your second point, I think that may be because of what I said earlier. "If I wanted to look at real people I'd go outside, not watch a show."

That's what the people who cast the actors think we want, I suppose. Except I see prettier people in real life every day. It's all variable.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-03-17, 06:07 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "The Michael in the American Office is..."
I'd honestly prefer to see people I'd see in real life in dramas, rather than pretty people I'd see face to face once a millenia. It just adds to the realism of it.

Take the English soaps Eastenders and Coronation Street, for example. Both are about a small neighbourhood in London and Manchester respectively, and it's easily believable that I might bump into any of the characters if I go walking around either city:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/char...rs/index.shtml

http://www.itv.com/Soaps/coronations...s/default.html

EDIT: Well, five years ago they were definitely a rough lot that I'd expect to meet in the street.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-17, 07:29 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I'd honestly prefer to see people I'd..."
There's a lot of hot chicks in the first cast.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-03-19, 02:28 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "There's a lot of hot chicks in the..."
Agreed. I think what Lenny is trying to say, though, is that they aren't plastic. Pretty =/= Plastic. In the Who would you rather thread I don't find either woman attractive. Honestly, Talented Hamster is more attractive than either of them. Women publicized in the US aren't really... Realistic. And that takes away a lot of the attraction.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2008-03-20, 12:07 AM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Agreed. I think what Lenny is trying to..."
While I do agree with Lenny for the most part, I do see a number of shows that tend to break the "abnormally attractive people" mold.

The Wire and Deadwood are two that come to mind.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller