Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Post NFL: Culpepper signs 1yr with Raiders
Posted 2007-08-01, 01:47 PM
Stolen from www.nfl.com

Thanks guys! Credit is all yours. But from what I can understand Culpepper isn't happy because nobody wanted to take his ass.. thank god we didn't sign him. I forsee him getting reinjured about 3-4 games into the season and his career lapsing again. haha.

QB Culpepper signs one-year deal with Raiders

NAPA, Calif. (July 31, 2007) -- Free agent quarterback Daunte Culpepper signed a one-year contract with Oakland, giving the Raiders a backup plan for top draft pick JaMarcus Russell.

Culpepper, 30, worked out in the afternoon before a gathering of Raiders scouts and coaches. The workout was private and Culpepper left without speaking to reporters, but Oakland coach Lane Kiffin announced the signing shortly after the Raiders completed practice.

"We had to see him run around, scramble and do different things because his arm didn't go away," Kiffin said. "We weren't really worried about that. We had to make sure everything else was good."

Culpepper began 2006 as Miami's starter but had trouble with his mobility and was sacked 21 times in the first four games. The Dolphins shut him down so he could continue rehabbing and eventually placed him on injured reserve. When they acquired Trent Green in a trade with Kansas City this offseason, Culpepper became expendable.

"When I became a free agent I created and ranked eight criteria that I used to evaluate potential teams that were interested in my services," Culpepper said. "Based on my criteria, the Oakland Raiders are the best fit."

The Dolphins tried unsuccessfully to trade Culpepper a year after acquiring him from Minnesota. When Miami failed to find a team willing to trade for Culpepper, the former Pro Bowl quarterback was released on July 17. Culpepper met with Tampa Bay two days later but did not receive a contract offer from the Bucs.

The Raiders sent a member of their front office to Florida to work out Culpepper on July 30, then sent a private plane to fly the 6-foot-4, 265-pound quarterback to California for the Napa workout.

Culpepper said the Raiders "are giving me the opportunity to compete for the starting job," yet acknowledged that part of his role in Oakland will be helping Russell "get ready to take over for the future," he said.

"I also get an opportunity to show both the Raiders and the NFL community that I am healthy and back to form after battling injuries the last two seasons," Culpepper said. "Most importantly, I appreciated that there was mutual respect as we worked through the process of coming to contract terms."

Culpepper's signing comes three months after the Raiders traded away his former teammate in Minnesota, Randy Moss.

In eight NFL seasons, Culpepper has passed for 21,091 yards and 137 touchdowns with 89 interceptions. He has a career passer rating of 90.8.

Kiffin acknowledged that the Raiders wanted Culpepper partially due to the situation with Russell. The No. 1 pick has yet to sign a contract with Oakland and negotiations between the two sides slowed over the weekend.

Josh McCown, who was acquired in a draft day trade with Detroit, and Andrew Walter have split the reps in practice while Russell remains at his mother's home in Mobile, Ala.

"We think that he adds definite competition to a position right now where we basically only had two guys here with Andrew and Josh," Kiffin said. "They've done extremely well but we needed to protect ourselves and make sure we're in the best position to win and make sure we have the most competition at that spot.

Kiffin spoke with Russell by phone in the morning to brief the rookie on the possibility of Culpepper signing.

"Its always important for your team to know things, just as we informed both our quarterbacks last night that this was going to happen today (and) make sure they heard it from us and understood the reasons we were doing it," Kiffin said.

Raiders defensive tackle Warren Sapp spoke briefly with Culpepper and welcomed the signing.

"I know he's an effective quarterback because I've chased him and hunted him over the years," Sapp said. "I know he's had a good little off time to get himself back healthy. If he's healthy, he's more than an effective quarterback. Somebody up top thinks he can help our ball club so let's see what we got."

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-01, 01:59 PM in reply to D3V's post "NFL: Culpepper signs 1yr with Raiders"
So much for that long contract he was looking for. How could he possibly get one though? He's had a devastating injury that crushed his last two seasons....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2007-08-01, 02:47 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "So much for that long contract he was..."
I've always liked Culpepper. I don't understand why people are so negative towards him. Watch, he'll put up some stellar numbers this year (if he stays a healthy starter), then he'll get his contract.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-08-01, 03:21 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "I've always liked Culpepper. I don't..."
He's playing for the Raiders, nuff said, those stellar numbers aren't going to exist, shit.. He's not even going to start.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-01, 03:22 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "He's playing for the Raiders, nuff..."
Yeah he is.. who is going to start over him?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-08-01, 03:29 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Yeah he is.. who is going to start over..."
Jajajaajamarcus Russell.. But man, I do get what you're saying. I liked Culpepper alot too, back in the old Minnesota days when he was the only bastard that could run AND throw, he's just been a little bit misfortunate, he may suprise us who knows. There was a time when I wanted him to come to the Jaguars, but Leftwich has been stepping up, along with the receivers etc, the whole offense has been looking better, so we'll just have to wait and see if our little holdout is going to pay off or blowup in our faces.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-08-01, 04:18 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Jajajaajamarcus Russell.. But man, I do..."
Oh yeah. Forgot Russel went 1st in the draft. Well, that should be an interesting battle for starting position. I bet they split most of the snaps, until Jamarcus can prove he's for real.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-08-01, 04:23 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Oh yeah. Forgot Russel went 1st in the..."
Thanatos said:
Oh yeah. Forgot Russel went 1st in the draft. Well, that should be an interesting battle for starting position. I bet they split most of the snaps, until Jamarcus can prove he's for real.
Yah, I really liked JaMarcus I wish the Jaguars could've somehow gotten their hands on him, but it was wayyy too far out of reach for us... I'm sure Culpepper will put up a fight, but he hasn't played in 2 years, that's what it ultimately comes down to.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-08-01, 08:26 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "So much for that long contract he was..."
Titusfied said:
So much for that long contract he was looking for. How could he possibly get one though? He's had a devastating injury that crushed his last two seasons....
He was the shit back on the vikings. Sucked with the dolphins though. Well the Raiders will be a challange to say the least.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-08-01, 10:26 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "He was the shit back on the vikings...."
Where did Moss go again?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-08-02, 07:30 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Where did Moss go again?"
The Gaytriots. On paper, it looks as if they're going to be phenominal this year. Tom Brady makes no-name receivers into high calibur players in the past couple of seasons. This year he has: Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth, and Wes Welker. That's a dangerous trio right there.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-08-03, 05:23 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "The Gaytriots. On paper, it looks as if..."
Nah, Russell and Culpepper won't be splitting any snaps. It all depends on how Culpepper does. If he plays well, he'll play all year. The only way he won't get every snap is (1) he gets injured, (2) he plays like shit, or (3) at the end of the year, they are out of contention, and they want to give Russell some snaps.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied