Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Posted 2010-08-24, 02:11 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Just a few snippets from when my AIM..."
Grav said: [Goto]
Just a few snippets from when my AIM logger actually works, which is rarely and only goes back a few months. This is going from most recent to older as you go down.

---------
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: is there a reasonable way to make it happen? maybe you have to log in somewhere every session to see the forum?
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: I dont know what php is capable of
146763477: Oh, you can do anything with PHP, but I don't want to build something from scratch
---------

---------
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: how feasible is a blog function? it is basically against everything I believe in, but members might like it. see example: http://forums.narutofan.com/blog.php?u=101654
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: or here http://forums.narutofan.com/blog.php?u=33926
146763477: I just don't see a reason for it. If you want to blog, use Live Journal or myspace.
146763477: You can provide a link in your profile
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: because for some of them zelaron is their main blog/outlet as it is
146763477: I still don't think it'd be very usefull
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: well how hard would it be to install
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: is it worth just trying
146763477: I don't think so.
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: would someone else think so
146763477: I doubt it
146763477: Any of the members likely to use it would rather post in the appropriate forum is the feeling I have
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: well, I tried! nevermind!
146763477: We're a close-knit group, so the separation of the blogs isn't really needed
146763477: It's not that I don't appreciate your suggestion, I just don't think it'll get used
---------

[I apologize in advance, Chruser, but they should know]

---------
[07:16] Zelaron: I want to attempt to install vBAdvanced, but I remember you said you've tinkered with it for a while, and it's incompatible with Synthesis
[07:17] WetWired: We've had a portal before; it wasn't all that useful
[07:18] Zelaron: Indeed, and yes, I agree. I am, however, confident that it can and will be useful now.
[07:19] Zelaron: The last one didn't have any board compatibility aside from the news, which you could read on the forum anyway. It was just eye candy that served no purpose, not to mention that it was search-engine incompatible
[07:22] Zelaron: vBAdvanced is significantly better, because not only does it let us add modular pages to it, everything is compatible with the forum and will remove some aspects of stagnation from the community.
[07:24] Zelaron: So it's not even worth a try?
[07:25] WetWired: I didn't say that, I'm just saying that if you don't have any plans for what you do with it once you have it, it's pretty stupid
Zelaron: if you didn't read what I said above, basically, I kind of convinced WW to add a zelaron portal "if its reasons are good enough"
---------

---------
Zelaron: WW would likely disapprove. How dreadfully unfortunate.
---------

---------
146763477: You there?
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: yes
146763477: Why'd you temp ban all those people?
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: so they could revel together
146763477: huh?
Zelaron: haha
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: I feel like I'm at work talking to him
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: talking to my boss
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: except my boss is less of a PITA
---------

---------
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: I may leave zelaron soon
Zelaron: well
Zelaron: I believe you, k_a and I agree
Zelaron: we need to do something radical, asap
Zelaron: everything points toward the utmost demise of Zelaron
Zelaron: the visitor count is slowly declining, no new posts are made
Zelaron: old members are leaving
Zelaron: I am bored with the forum too
Zelaron: I have been bored with it for... a year?
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: my main problem is I am not even interested in talking to the people that are on the forum
Zelaron: I have told WW of its evident demise
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: the ones worth talking to, I talk to on AIM
Zelaron: I think the main purpose of the forum is to gather interesting people
Zelaron: and have the communicate
Zelaron: currently, we get pretty much all of our members from Google
Zelaron: and the content of the threads generally sucks
Zelaron: so we get visitors who search for stupid things
Zelaron: who sign up, and post more stupid things
Zelaron: and suddenly, we have a stupid forum
Zelaron: where morons go to post their hearts' contents
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: lol
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: interesting theory?
Zelaron: well, it works that way
Zelaron: if we have tons of threads about travel, people who search for "paradise vacation", "cruises" and "unabomber" will come to our forum
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: lol.
Zelaron: you get what you put into it
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: unabomber??
Zelaron: he did target at least one airplane during his career, didn't he?
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: dunno
Zelaron: anyway.
Zelaron: we could as well un-trash most threads at this rate
Zelaron: it'd increase seach engine hits due to more content
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: heh
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: maybe those spambots will finally work FOR us!
Zelaron: rpgmaker has kind of faltered as well
Zelaron: either that, or we steal databases from other forums and inject the posts into Zelaron
Zelaron: personally, I'm in favor of doing some dramatic changes. It's just not particularly easy to find out what they are.
Zelaron: If that fails, I'm just going to leave the board running and hope it will by chance get interesting members, but I feel I've done just about everything for it then
Zelaron: unless, of course, we could get our own server
Zelaron: Perhaps we should get rid of all the hacks and start over?
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: I think we've said that a few times
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: so do it =p
Zelaron: unfortunately, there's no "DRASTIC CHANGE HACK" on vbulletin.org
Zelaron: getting that stupid store hack would be nice
Zelaron: but apparently WW... isn't doing it
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: nobody is doing anything
Zelaron: I'm not sure why, but it appears that he's the only guy who can do it.
Zelaron: I don't even know why I have received that impression
Zelaron: oh yeah
Zelaron: IT HAS TO BE LINKED TO THE ACTIVITY HACK!
Zelaron: and guess who the ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD is who understands how that works?
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: ...? lol
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: whatever, fuck WW
---------

---------
Zelaron: nothing is happening to Zelaron right now
Zelaron: we have established this
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: yes, so, zelaron is boring?
Zelaron: pretty much
Zelaron: in fact
Zelaron: I think it would be beneficial to delete all board hacks, keep the posts, and start over with the default vB theme.
Zelaron: why? Because it's a god damn change
Zelaron: NOTHING is happening right now
Zelaron: and now WW's laptop fried as well, so the few changes we did have on the way (such as a store hack) aren't happening either, at least not for a while
Zelaron: oh yeah, I'm in Stockholm, and I can't get a connection at my place any longer
Zelaron: so I won't be online much for a few weeks either
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: I am sooooo tired of synthesis
Zelaron: well, we need... things
Zelaron: even if they're pointless, we need to show members that we are at least TRYING to change the board
Zelaron: "it works now; leave it be" makes it become about an interesting as a museum
Zelaron: but the visitor count has declined too
Zelaron: currently, we get around 700-800 unique visitors per day
Zelaron: which is... okay
Zelaron: but they're not posting
Zelaron: I say we enable anonymous (guest) posting for a while
Zelaron: although moderated.
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: sure
Zelaron: [02:05] 146763477: If we allowed guests to post, we'd get 500 spam threads a day.
Zelaron: SURPRISE
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: hahaha
---------

---------
Zelaron: ugh, why must everything be so... hard?
Zelaron: [06:44] Zelaron: What do you think about vBSEO?
[06:45] 146763477: We don't have any new discussions about anything that anyone would be searching fore.
[06:46] Zelaron: Our 35,220 total discussions include things people are searching for.
[06:48] 146763477: Yeah, but they wouldn't join our community because we don't discuss them anymore. Besides, it may be a huge pain for us since we have to change the encoding of every URL, and we have huge ammounts of template customization
[06:48] Zelaron: Perhaps we don't discuss them because old threads get locked?
[06:49] 146763477: No, because people are no longer interested.
---------

---------
Zelaron: [06:52] Zelaron: Why wouldn't they be? A majority of our unique visitors find us on search engines. It's still difficult to sign up and post.
[06:53] Zelaron: Why don't we allow guests to post as long as they fill in a six character alphanumeric sequence shown on an image? (Similarly to the search on vbulletin.org)?
[06:59] Zelaron: I want to purchase a vBSEO license for $149 and allow guests to post after confirming their "human nature". If it doesn't accomplish anything, too bad. At the moment, we're not taking enough action against the decline in new, active members.
[07:00] 146763477: I really don't want to deal with something as big as vBSEO right now.
[07:02] Zelaron: I don't know how to install Zend anyway, so I can't try it myself.
[07:04] Zelaron: I backed up the database an hour ago, so I'd try it myself and take responsibility for it if anything goes wrong, but I don't have the privileges to install Zend.
[07:07] Zelaron: Privileges would be nice.
[07:08] 146763477: Even I would not be confident installing Zend, especially considering that we are out of contact with our hosting providers if something were to go wrong.
[07:09] Zelaron: John is online.
[07:09] 146763477: I don't see him
[07:09] Zelaron: workjallen
[07:09] Zelaron: he's away
[07:10] 146763477: I have that one on my list. he's offline
[07:10] Zelaron: Maybe he blocked you?
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: why is WW such a pain
Zelaron: I sent him a few of my thoughts
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: hows that
Zelaron: [07:14] Zelaron: I've requested datacenter contact info from John.
[07:15] Zelaron: Anything else I should ask for? I'm heading to bed soon.
[07:15] 146763477: It'd be nice to know if dotsimple changed hands and who I should talk to.
[07:16] Zelaron: I'll let you know tomorrow if I hear anything.
[07:31] Zelaron: The good thing about "trying out risky, new things" is that members see that you make an effort to transcendentalize the community, or "bringing it to the next level" if you wish. Even if the changes fail to become popular enough, they initially draw a lot of attention from members, who know the staff isn't going to sit around and wait for things to happen on their own. When have they ever?

Nothing against your hacks and improvements, the activity hack rules, and the large avatar will definitely make the current members more active. I want one of those too, now. Sup. modding K_A and Lenny was likely a great call. But will new members sign up for any of that? No. Will they sign up if we get better search engine rankings? I don't know, maybe. I don't think there are any set-in-stone formulas for gaining new, active members. I just know we're not getting any.

We built a good member base in the past, and I don't see anything at all that keeps us from doing that now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we kind of... stop taking chances a year and a half ago or so, when the board seemed to "work on its own"? It's like, we have this machine which seems to work fine without any maintenance, but in reality, it is on a slow descent into a deep grave.
Zelaron: [07:34] Zelaron: It's not about "installing radical hacks", it's about making significant changes that WILL MOST LIKELY improve the community, bring members together, give them totally new features to try out and such.
[07:35] Zelaron: a new Zelaron Melee is a good start, and it's relatively simple to get it started.
[07:38] Zelaron: but it's not enough. We're the ones in power to change the community, and find out what it takes to make it "fucking awesome".
[07:38] Zelaron: Enough 7:40 am rambling for now.
[07:43] Zelaron: Sure, if the "change" formula I realize we've used for the first three years of the board's existence suddenly doesn't work any longer, let me know, but right now, I am convinced it is still the best chance we have got of getting anywhere.
[07:43] Zelaron: Thoughts?
[07:50] Zelaron: (The premise is obviously that anything like this would be done AFTER the proper contact information is obtained, so the server doesn't get unusable for weeks on end in the worst case scenario.)
Zelaron: there is probably a ton of grammatical flaws in there, I shouldn't stay up all night as often :-)
Zelaron: maybe he'll kick us off the server now or something, who knows?
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: why?
Zelaron: because I get the feeling that he doesn't agree with me.
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе: i know he doesnt
Zelaron: I get the "it is futile to proceed any further. The board works flawlessly, and it shall continue to work this way forever, because I am an immortal robot" vibe from him.
Zelaron: I don't even have the administrative access to perform the changes I want.
Zelaron: I can't really touch the server.
---------
hi thar Gravitonsurge

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-08-24, 09:25 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "hi thar Gravitonsurge"
D3V, stop bringing back these old forums for spam's sake....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2010-08-25, 09:18 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "D3V, stop bringing back these old..."
Think of it this way: it keeps me from posting in new threads!
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-08-26, 09:30 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Think of it this way: it keeps me from..."
Just exploiting the srs bizness side of zelaron.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-08-26, 09:46 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Just exploiting the srs bizness side of..."
There's a srs bizness side? All I ever see are the side and mad side.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-08-27, 08:48 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "There's a srs bizness side? All I ever..."
There was a span of about 2 years where rules were enforced and people we're crybabies about everything, including myself. Namely myself.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-08-27, 02:52 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "There was a span of about 2 years where..."
Zelaron is an anarchy. Other than the fact that Lenny is here. But he's more like an idle god than a government.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-08-27, 03:00 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Zelaron is an anarchy. Other than the..."
Idle gods suffer boredom every now and then and smite people.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2010-08-27, 03:13 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Idle gods suffer boredom every now and..."
Don't ban me! My "mother" lurvz u!
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-08-27, 03:58 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Don't ban me! My "mother" lurvz u!..."
When it comes to Lenny, we all know its a straight monarchy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2010-08-27, 04:18 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "There was a span of about 2 years where..."
Remember how annoying I used to be?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2010-08-29, 05:59 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Remember how annoying I used to be?"
No, I don't. Tell me a story of back when.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-08-29, 08:48 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Remember how annoying I used to be?"
kagomjack said: [Goto]
remember how annoying i am?
jk ;p
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2010-08-30, 09:37 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Remember how annoying I used to be?"
KagomJack said: [Goto]
Remember how annoying I used to be?
all I remember are the days of teh furry

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-08-30, 03:19 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "all I remember are the days of teh furry"
Days of the furry? Link, pl0x?
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-08-30, 04:50 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Days of the furry? Link, pl0x?"
Some of my best work.

The furrier side of Kagom Jack

It's probably worth mentioning that when Kagom first joined Zelaron, he claimed to be a straight catholic guy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-08-30, 05:05 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Some of my best work. The furrier..."
... an otter?
I'm a hyena. :3
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-08-31, 02:24 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Some of my best work. The furrier..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
Some of my best work.

The furrier side of Kagom Jack

It's probably worth mentioning that when Kagom first joined Zelaron, he claimed to be a straight catholic guy.
Agreed with the entire post. +1

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-08-31, 07:46 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Agreed with the entire post. +1"
Why do you agree?
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-09-02, 03:55 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Why do you agree?"
That was some of K_A's best work.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V