Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Dell Inspiron HDD&DVD Drive problem...
Posted 2006-02-06, 06:48 PM
have a DellInspiron 8000, 1ghz 256mb ram, 20gb HDD and DVD Rom.

I recently had some issues with the Laptop restarting uncontrollably and now it does not detect my HDD or DVD-Rom(fixed optical drive).

I know I can change it in the bios, but when I enter the bios it only allows me to change the time and date. I should be able to scroll through with the arrows and other keys, but I don't know which ones(I have tried practically every button randomly) and nothing. Just time and date. I see it does not detect the HDD and DVDRom drive since it is listed on Page 1 of 7, so how do I go about fixing this?

I tried removing both the HDD and DVDRom and I re-inserted them both and it still says they are not installed. How do I move about in the bios? It should be the same as my PC but I cant do a single thing.

All help on how to get it going again is greatly appreciated. It is a pretty good Laptop for some small things like playing music, watching movies and such and I want it back because it is so much easier to move around then a desktop....
"why I've gotta be one of the cool kids just to walk by/
- without being tripped, thrown down on the ground and kicked/
Insulting me for no reason, I was treated like shit/
The teachers let it happen/
I've even seen some of them teachers laughing/
That's why I had a smile on my face when I started blastin/" - Ill Bill - The Anatomy of a School Shooting
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Original Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenOriginal Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Original Sin

Posted 2006-02-06, 08:18 PM in reply to Original Sin's post "Dell Inspiron HDD&DVD Drive..."
I have same problem with my dell latitude d600 notebook, it wont let me change anything in the bios except time and date
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2006-02-06, 08:31 PM in reply to Hades-Knight's post starting "I have same problem with my dell..."
If you find anything out, let me know adn i'll do the same.
That's why I had a smile on my face when I started blastin/" - Ill Bill - The Anatomy of a School Shooting
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Original Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenOriginal Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Original Sin

Posted 2006-02-07, 10:30 AM in reply to Original Sin's post "Dell Inspiron HDD&DVD Drive..."
Original Sin said:
have a DellInspiron 8000, 1ghz 256mb ram, 20gb HDD and DVD Rom.

I recently had some issues with the Laptop restarting uncontrollably and now it does not detect my HDD or DVD-Rom(fixed optical drive).

I know I can change it in the bios, but when I enter the bios it only allows me to change the time and date. I should be able to scroll through with the arrows and other keys, but I don't know which ones(I have tried practically every button randomly) and nothing. Just time and date. I see it does not detect the HDD and DVDRom drive since it is listed on Page 1 of 7, so how do I go about fixing this?

I tried removing both the HDD and DVDRom and I re-inserted them both and it still says they are not installed. How do I move about in the bios? It should be the same as my PC but I cant do a single thing.

All help on how to get it going again is greatly appreciated. It is a pretty good Laptop for some small things like playing music, watching movies and such and I want it back because it is so much easier to move around then a desktop....
Do you care about losing your information? If not just format the machine and it'll do it for you with the window's CD

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2006-02-07, 03:12 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Do you care about losing your..."
Yes format it because:
A) It does not detect my Fixed Optical Drive aka my only DVDRom drive, no I do not have a CD Drive and...
B) It doesn't let me change anything in the BIOS, which in some cases it simply malfunctions and disables things on its own, but since I can only change the date and time, I can not configure it to detect any drives and...
C) It doesn't detect my HDD, so how am I suppose to install something on it without enabling it.

If you can answer any of these, let me know.

Edit: 
I have found some WinXP Boot/initiate install floppy disks. I am thinking that if I start off with these, could the WinXP installation detect my drives, allwing me to switch to the CD to finish the installation and actually have a drive to put it on?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Original Sin

Posted 2006-02-14, 01:39 PM in reply to Original Sin's post starting "Yes format it because: A) It does not..."
Yes, format your harddrive.........

Boot from your CD, go to the partition screen and delete the existing one, create a new one and install windows. Windows should do to rest.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2006-02-14, 07:43 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yes, format your harddrive......... ..."
Nope, after using floppies then switching to CD, it still does not dtect the HDD.

Prolly need a new one.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Original Sin