Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Posted 2007-09-17, 10:50 AM in reply to Grav's post "I resign"
Edit:

Well sad to see you go, even though I hardly ever agreed with you about anything. I think the Admins/Sup Mod(no s) need to have a sitdown to device a plan to get more activity, once again. There are alot of options out there that don't require that much though/work, just keep at it noobs.

And no, I wouldn't go to a new forum, these are fine just the way they are, just need more people.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]

Last edited by D3V; 2007-09-17 at 10:55 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-09-17, 11:07 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Edit: Well sad to see you go, even..."
D3V said:
I think the Admins/Sup Mod(no s) need to have a sitdown to device a plan to get more activity, once again. There are alot of options out there that don't require that much though/work, just keep at it noobs.
It's been done. We had a running thread in the staff forum for like a week to come up with all of the ideas we could. Also, I remember meeting with Grav/Chruser in chatrooms to discuss stuff.

It's not really the ideas we need, we just need someone to implement them. Not that more ideas would hurt anything.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-17, 11:27 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "It's been done. We had a running..."
Oh yeah I know ofcourse. How hard can it be to upload new programs and implement them on the forum? I'm no programmer by any means but it can't really be that impossible.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-09-17, 11:51 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Oh yeah I know ofcourse. How hard can..."
I don't think it's as easy as all that. We don't want to just add a bunch of crap that every other forum on the planet has. I think it would be best to actually have stuff that is somewhat unique to Zelaron, like the Activity hack. A lot of the ideas I had tied into the activity hack in some way if I remember right.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-17, 04:10 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I've just had a nosy at Grav's AIM..."
The store hack tie-in to the activity hack is simple. The activity hack only controls the generation of funds. The issue there is simply finding a store hack that is capable of doing advanced things without being a mess. Besides the issue of people exploiting to get things for free, there's the issue of, for example modifying other peoples' user titles. If I modify someone's title for a month, then they go and modify it for a day, the proper thing to happen after a day would be for it to go back to mine, but there's a lot of code involved in tracking stuff like that.

As far as the blog stuff, I know there is at least one 3rd party modification and there is an official Jellsoft blog product for vB. I don't think either of them allow the extent of customization as LiveJournal or MySpace, however. I told Grav that I'm against this, but my time is not needed for this. Especially if we go for the Jellsoft version, it should be an incredibly simple installation (requires the forum upgrade I'm working on on the test board, however).

The vBSEO stuff may not be as much trouble as I initially suspected, but I haven't really looked into it.

I still think guest posting is a huge mistake, as it will prevent most people from ever making accounts. A quick registration may be as simple as a form hack, but it may be complicated by the verification image.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-09-17, 06:18 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "The store hack tie-in to the activity..."
I thought we almost came to an agreement at one point that we would be able to limit an IP to, say, 5 posts before locking them out and forcing them to Register? Maybe that is just my own genius idea though?

Anyway, I read this thread, and although I can sympathize with Grav and the like, I don't agree. I mean, WW is my age (25 or so), and if his life is anything like mine, after 4-5 years on Zelaron (I honestly don't know how long Zelaron has existed...), you basically lost most of the luster that once existed. And once that "pizazz" is gone, the motivation to actually sit down and write/implement coding to temporarily please some members is all but gone. I'm not saying this is the case either, but I wouldn't blame WW for his lack of catering to everyone's need on a whim. He's done plenty for Zelaron, and continues to do so. I wouldn't mind having like 1 or 2 changes a year, because it's not like Zelaron is broke. There are still a lot of posts and activity. It's not growing exponentially, or even barely linearly for that matter, but it's not declining either, as far as I'm concerned.

Why try to fix something that's not broken? Sure we can try to make it better, but give the guy that has the power, resources, and intuition to do it some slack. Seriously.....

Oh, and farewell.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2007-09-17, 06:20 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "I thought we almost came to an..."
It's been broken for a while...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-09-17, 06:25 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "It's been broken for a while..."
Not really. I can think of things that can improve, but I don't see anything that is clearly deficient that it would eventually turn Zelaron into non-existence.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2007-09-17, 07:07 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Not really. I can think of things that..."
It's been on a steady decline. We hardly ever get new members who post, and it's even rarer to find members who stick around. The old members are getting tired of this place. They are slowly leaving as well. Sure, we have spurts of activity, however I'm sure if we could find an activity chart we would certainly see decline over the last 3 years. It's only a matter of time until this place has 5 or 6 posts a day. After that, people won't bother checking this daily, and will eventually quit checking altogether. That trend needs to be reversed if we want to keep this place going for longer than a couple of years. Not steadied, reversed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-09-17, 08:56 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "It's been on a steady decline. We..."
i agree with MJ
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-09-17, 09:17 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "i agree with MJ"
Ditto.

Change in activity tends to snowball, whether for the good or the bad. If people post less, there are less posts to respond to, which means people in essense post less and less.

If people post more, there are more posts to respond to, people post more.

It's not that hard to understand, and if you've been around fairly consistantly for a few years you should see this yourself. Luckily, we've been going upwards lately.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-18, 06:46 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Ditto. Change in activity tends to..."
I never see this place as going away, it'll always have its ups and downs. The "medium" members are just going to transition into the old skool members sometime soon as newbies roll in. It's just the circle of life.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-09-18, 08:28 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I never see this place as going away,..."
Yeah but the newbies have stopped rolling in.

Just the same, if there are less posts, there are less things for newbies to come here for. It really all comes down to posting more. You must have noticed the recent surge of activity since people started posting more. Everyone's activity has gone up, so it's not just more people, it's actually more activity.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-18, 10:26 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Yeah but the newbies have stopped..."
I tried the Automotive aspect, but nobody really has lives outside of computeres and videogames, so it hasn't taken off at all. There are many things that can be talked about and posted about, but most of that would be daily news, which we don't even have a current stream on, maybe bring back News Poster and assign somebody that doesn't mind keeping us informed on top of things?

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-09-18, 11:06 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I tried the Automotive aspect, but..."
Just because no one is interested in cars means they do not have lives? Damn, you're a narrow-minded lune.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-09-18, 11:12 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Just because no one is interested in..."
Oi, here we go again.

I'm gonna go ahead and call you both fags and get it over with.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-18, 11:18 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Just because no one is interested in..."
HandOfHeaven said:
Just because no one is interested in cars means they do not have lives? Damn, you're a narrow-minded lune.
Lol, if you would've read it says that nobody has lives outside of computers and videogames.. Doesn't necessairily mean you have no life if you aren't into cars.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-09-18, 11:19 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Lol, if you would've read it says that..."
Glad we've got that sorted.

Right. News Poster. I think it would be an idea to bring it back for a few months, at least, just to see how it goes. Looking at the News Forum, though, lots of people post news, so we might end up with four or five News Posters.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-09-19, 10:05 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Glad we've got that sorted. Right...."
That's how it used to be. I'd post news. I'm on MSN, CNN, and other related sites everyday. I like keeping up with current events.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-09-19, 10:08 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "That's how it used to be. I'd post..."
Yeah I can vouch for that, I'm at work from 8-6 usually, varies with an hour or two most of the time, so I have plenty of time to catch up on CNN, MSNBC,NFL,Reuters,AssociatedPress,etc etc's Websites, i'm sure bringing back a news poster would atleast give pride to somebody that can take the time and somewhat dedication to bring the news to the people here

I would love to have another massive influx of threads and members roll through here.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V