Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Post What will run longer? The Simpsons or Southpark.
Posted 2003-11-02, 07:31 PM
Arguably two of the most popular American cartoons that are aimed at an older age group, The Simpson's and Southpark have always put up good ratings... the question is which one will go longer?

My reasoning is Southpark, as much as I hate to say it, because the Simpsons is getting worse every year, and eventually they will run out of concepts. If people don't get sick of the crude low humor, than it will stay because new issues and groups to insult will always arise.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2003-11-02, 07:34 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
Southpark is gonna last longer. Its creators are willign to go to more extremes for laughs then the simpsons creators.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2003-11-02, 07:36 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
nah...simpsons...it's already the longest running television show in history...unless some1 dies simpsons will prolly go on for a long time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-11-02, 08:14 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
South Park. Why? Because the entire show is a juggernaut. Not a single chink in its armor. The Simpsons relies almost entirely upon Homer to be worth a damn anymore. If they killed him off, the show would die. South Park could lose just about any character and suffer minimal damage. The loss of Cartman would cause the most damage, but the show would still be great.

Plus, South Park relies upon current events for it's humor, therefore providing an endless stream of material. The Simpsons relies on the weirdness of the writing staff to come up with new wacky situations for Homer to get caught in every week. A human being can only crank out so much oddity before the well runs dry.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2003-11-02, 08:18 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
ehh...they've been cranking it for a long time and they seem 2 come up w/ good stuff still...and i doubt they'd kill homer off. Yes...south park is great...and they did survive after killing of kenny...lol...but....honestly i dont know why i guess simply because simpsons has been around for SOO long and hasn't quite gotten old yet. We'll see...all we can do is speculate right now...eventually one of them will die...hopefully they both stick around for a while.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-11-03, 06:03 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
If you are talking about what show will finish first, it's The Simpsons. Reason being: The Simpsons have been around for how long? I think 12 or so years. South Park isn't that old. The Simpsons have done just about as much as they can, South Park is still on it's first wind.

I like The Simpsons a hell of a lot more than South Park; I don't get their humor some times. It's just the fact that The Simpsons have been around for a longer time, so they will die out sooner. Sad, but true.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2003-11-03, 06:27 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
Yes it is true, even though the Simpsons is overall a better show, the current event based Soutpark will go on longer... and America is a crude place. At least Simpsons will be long lived, unlike some other great shows... (o' ye' of Family Guy)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2003-11-03, 07:07 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
As Raziel said, they feed off of current events. I was watching some show on Vh1, and they were talking about cartoons. It takes southpark about 8 weeks to make an episode, where it takes the simpsons nearly 8 months.

SouthPark will live longer, I think that the simpsons should just end it off right now while they are still somewhat good, they should have like a week long ending special or some bullshit, and possibly have a yearly halloween show. I mean, even this last one wasn't as good as the other ones.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2003-11-03, 11:38 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
Penny Bags said:
the Simpsons is overall a better show
Kill off Homer and the show dies. It relies entirely upon him to be any good. True, Homer Simpson is quite possibly the greatest fictional character ever concieved, but he's pulling all of that show's weight. There's not a sinlge aspect of South Park that is weak, or dependant upon a single character. It's just much more intelligent and much more humorous.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2003-11-03, 11:43 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
Just because the Simpsons is (in my humble opinion) better than Southpark, doesn't mean that the Simpsons will be around longer than it. Southpark will never run out of things to mock in this world, therefore it will be quite a long damn time before the show ends. The Simpsons on the other hand, is degenerating. The family has gone through nearly everything a family can go through. I fear that it won't be around for very long.

And that saddens me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2003-11-04, 01:40 AM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
good point, southpark DOES go around current events, for instance, right when lord of the rings came out and harry potter. southpark made a similar one but instead of the ring it was a port tape!! :-P i was laughing so hard, i cryed.
The only thing is that we need to know WHAT southpark is trying to make fun of. imagine in 10 years a different generation sees the same show and didnt understand it because they NEVER saw lord of the rings and so forth.
with the simpsons, you start from the begining to the end and you would understand it...

if anybody bought the second season of southpark, it said in the special features that the "Makers" are not making as much as they are suppose to. most of the money goes to COMIDY CENTRAL, and that sooner or later they will have all the characters be dead and everything revolving to only one character (sounds stupid i know). so that everybody would stop watching (its something like that. Thats the impression i got from watching that disk)
anyways southpark is good, its just that, because of all these new generation, they might make southpark prohibited and or stop making them because it has TOO much adult stuff
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
J_iceman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJ_iceman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

J_iceman

Posted 2003-11-04, 04:53 AM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
All of my good points are made when I'm zoned out from lack of sleep and lack of caffine.

I think South Park is made for viewers to watch it around the time the events have the most significance.

The Simpsons is becoming old fashioned...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2003-11-04, 08:54 AM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
the simpsons is a great show and funny most of the time even if you havent seen all of the episods
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2003-11-04, 09:46 AM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
I can watch reruns of The Simpsons and still laugh my ass off. It's a timeless classic. And it always will be.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2003-11-04, 02:45 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
The simpsons has been going down hill ever since the 10'th season.

but southpark isn't that great either... so crude and violent...

I would have to say simpsons would last longer because of some of the die-hard fans out there.

But over all, Family Guy kicks so much more ass then both of them combind!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-=Rico-GP=- is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between-=Rico-GP=- is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

-=Rico-GP=-

Posted 2003-11-04, 03:16 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
I agree with you. Family Guy is possibly the greatest animated show, ever. In my opinion, at least.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2003-11-04, 06:05 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
Oh. Totally Family Guy. But Futurama is funny as well, in my humble opinion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2003-11-04, 07:21 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
Yeah, Futurama is made by the prodocers of the simpsons.

Well, I laugh at south park because they are racis/controversial.

I laugh at simpsons because its smart, good thought out comedy.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2003-11-04, 07:48 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
I'm well aware that Futurama has the same producers as The Simpsons.

Anyway, South Park will last longer.

The End.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2003-11-04, 09:28 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post "What will run longer? The Simpsons or..."
how about a poll.. that would have been much easier
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-=Rico-GP=- is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between-=Rico-GP=- is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

-=Rico-GP=-