Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Question 1984: George Orwell
Posted 2007-12-05, 09:33 AM
I've heard many many opinions about this book from family members and a select few friends that have actually gotten around to reading this book first hand. Now, I myself have never gotten around to reading this book, I have definately considered tackling it one of these weekends, maybe even this weekend if things shapen up around here.

My point of the thread is, what did you guys think of the book? I'd love a bit more insight to the storyline and purpose of this book before I pick it up so that I can compare and contrast afterwards and have something to look back on.

Discuss.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-12-05, 09:48 AM in reply to D3V's post "1984: George Orwell"
I rather liked it. There's a bit in the middle, about ten pages, that's pure drivel though.

The plot is good, it's well written, and it really makes you think.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-12-05, 12:31 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I rather liked it. There's a bit in the..."
Absolutely a classic. Brilliant representation of a dystopian society. I highly recommend it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-12-05, 12:40 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Absolutely a classic. Brilliant..."
Thanks fellas, the vibe I get from the book is that you 'just have to read it to fully get the conception of it'.. which is my plan

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-12-05, 01:17 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Thanks fellas, the vibe I get from the..."
This was probably my favorite book that they forced us to read in high school.

I'm sure you already know the plot of the book: tyrannical government has managed to take away all forms of personal liberty, and has brainwashed people into basically not questioning the government and loving it at the same time. The book is basically about someone who actually sees through it when nobody else can, and his attempt at trying to regain his humanity.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-12-05, 01:20 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "This was probably my favorite book that..."
That's such an awesome concept, and when you think about our current situation our country honestly isn't that different. I'm seeing if there's a legal way to print out a free copy of the book, and if not i'll just go grab a copy from our public library.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-12-20, 10:20 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "That's such an awesome concept, and..."
A good friend of mine nagged me to no end to read it, and I must say I think it was worth it. The book has opened my eyes to so many things I've been so blind to. Now, I look at everything in such a different light.... I plan on reading another book he's nagging me to read. I think it's called "A Bright New Day" or "A Brand New Day", something like that. Also, I've found that there are several movies that I love based on this kind of premise.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
`Ryp` is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between`Ryp` is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

`Ryp`

Posted 2007-12-23, 08:03 PM in reply to `Ryp`'s post starting "A good friend of mine nagged me to no..."
`Ryp` said:
A good friend of mine nagged me to no end to read it, and I must say I think it was worth it. The book has opened my eyes to so many things I've been so blind to. Now, I look at everything in such a different light.... I plan on reading another book he's nagging me to read. I think it's called "A Bright New Day" or "A Brand New Day", something like that. Also, I've found that there are several movies that I love based on this kind of premise.
Brave New World?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
flameviper enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzflameviper enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

flameviper

Posted 2007-12-23, 10:33 PM in reply to flameviper's post starting "Brave New World?"
flameviper said:
Brave New World?
Yeah that just might be it ; *walks off feeling very stupid*
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
`Ryp` is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between`Ryp` is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

`Ryp`

Posted 2007-12-24, 05:40 AM in reply to `Ryp`'s post starting "Yeah that just might be it ^_^; *walks..."
This is probably like telling water to be wet, but you ought to play Half Life 2 if you like the dystopian genre. And whilst not technically dystopian, but more anti-utopian, BioShock is another good game [loosely put] in the same genre.

If you're looking more at dystopian literature, then have a nosey at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ian_literature

Some very good books on that list - I'm guessing that a few of the early 20th Century writers will be there, like Wells and Orwell.

Just had a lookee, and they've even got the seventh Harry Potter book in the list.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-01-18, 05:21 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "This is probably like telling water to..."
I always wondered why we never had a book section at zelaron.

I've never read 1984, but I'm going through and reading books that I never got to read in highschool. I just read Catcher in the Rye (not as good as I had hoped)

Anyway I would love to recommend a book called The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin. Great book!
"The belonging you seek is not behind you, it's ahead."
--Maz Kanata
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Silverjinx18 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSilverjinx18 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Silverjinx18

Posted 2008-01-19, 09:33 AM in reply to Silverjinx18's post starting "I always wondered why we never had a..."
I believe we used to have a Literature Forum, but it was merged with a couple of others to form The Arts.

Is that the same Steve Martin as the actor Steve Martin?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-01-21, 11:59 AM in reply to Silverjinx18's post starting "I always wondered why we never had a..."
Catcher didn't impress me at all when I read it in high school. They make it out to be the book that all young men are supposed to identify with. I thought Holden Caulfield was a whiny bitch. Of course, I haven't read the book in about 12 years or so, so maybe I should check it out again.

As I mentioned above, I highly recommend 1984.

Just started reading The Man in the High Castle by Phillip K. Dick (got interested after watching the Blade Runner special features). Kind of slow to start and rather confusing, but I imagine it will pick up soon once the setting and characters get fleshed out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller