Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Comic Relief/Red Nose Day
Posted 2005-03-12, 05:19 AM
The Brits among us will know what I'm talking about...and the non-Brits (everyone else) will have not the damndest idea wtf I'm on about.

Comic Relief, it is an annual thing that I think is only British...such as Children In Need...

On the day, the whole nation does something for charity...usually with red noses (hence the name "Red Nose Day")...in the evening, and through the night 'till the early hours of the morning, comic relief takes over the television. Every program shown on BBC1 (maybe on other channels they have Comic Relief things...I don't know) is a program that ties in with Comic Relief. British celebrities join in and do the weirdest things...all for charity.

Here's the official CR/RND site, if anyone wants to look at it...http://www.bbc.co.uk/rednoseday/

----------

The main point about this thread, is mostly to find out if anything like this happens in America...or in the countires that other members come from...I'm curious...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-03-12, 05:24 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Comic Relief/Red Nose Day"
I believe America did a Comic Relief fundrasier back in the 80's. Had Billy Crystal, Robin Williams and Whoopie Goldberg hosting it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2005-03-12, 05:32 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Comic Relief/Red Nose Day"
That's a pretty cool idea. Nothing like that happens in America to the best of my knowledge, at least not anymore.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2005-03-12, 05:32 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I believe America did a Comic Relief..."
Have any been held since then??
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-03-12, 05:34 AM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "That's a pretty cool idea. Nothing like..."
You oughta see the Children In Need ones...like this, but the money solely helps kids in the UK...I think...they gotta big yellow bear as the mascot....he's called Pudsy...

----------

The amounts of money raised are phenomenal...

I think this year we've raised about £38 million so far (approx. $73 million) ...last year...over £61 million (approx. $118 million)...

Last edited by Lenny; 2005-03-12 at 05:38 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-03-12, 05:37 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Have any been held since then??"
Not that I'm aware of. It was back during the whole Live Aid/Farm Aid craze. If there is an annual event like that, I don't know of it, and it's undoubtedly much smaller than the Comic Relief from the 80's. I know some comics (Denis Leary, for example) put on benefit shows for smaller, more specific causes like firefighters relief and things of that nature.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2005-03-12, 05:56 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Not that I'm aware of. It was back..."
What was Farm Aid?? I've honestly never heard of Farm Aid...whereas Live Aid, everyone's heard of Live Aid...I'm pretty sure my mum's got a video of it somewhere...

----------

My bad, Comic Relief is every two years, not every year...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-03-12, 08:19 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "What was Farm Aid?? I've honestly never..."
Farm Aid is the same thing as Live Aid but with country singers.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2005-03-12, 09:53 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Farm Aid is the same thing as Live Aid..."
-----------------

Last edited by undeadzombieguy; 2008-09-02 at 01:13 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
undeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenundeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

undeadzombieguy