Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Posted 2008-01-28, 07:38 AM
Apocolypse.

I remember reading a few years ago, maybe when I was 14-15 in that range, when I was atop of my idiotic rambling, and just one day I had stumbled onto a website about UFO's. I begun to read and intoduce myself into some great information that had been plastered all over the web. I really got into it, and a light lit up in my head remembering that when I was younger I had been really into UFOs and anything that doesn't have to do with our planet, anything extraordinary. But besides the point, while looking around for UFO's, I somehow stumbled onto a website about Nostradamus.

That was the point where my way of thinking had transversed a complete *180 and I started to look at things differently. I had become almost obsessed with his philosophies and predictions and got into some of his prophecies which really seemed amazing to me at the time. Not shortly after reading about prohets from our past, I stumbled onto the Mayan calendar, and society. A great deal of information I'm not quite interested in comes from this ancient civilization that was so based on the stars with incorporating astrology and math into their daily lives. What amazed me was as the same time their Time Calendar could be SO complex, and yet so simple at the same time. What's even more astounding is the accuracy of this calendar.

After reading more into this I stumbled on the dark side of the Mayan calendar, the prediction that their final cycle ends around the end of 2012 (current time). A very scary thing to stumble upon, indeed. What was even more frightening about this prediction was that Nostradamus had said something about the same thing as "Judgement" day would come about. Now I was really intrigued, and also stumbled upon the Bible calling for a 7 year period in which the world would more-so transform, as the end-days approach, and eventually Judgement Day would be upon us.

Basically, where i'm going with this. Is do you believe in any of these predictions? There are volumes and volumes of information on this subject, particularly 2012 that claim if we don't change our ways and the world the end times could be upon us. I really feel some of these could be determined generalities, and just forewarnings, but the accuracy of the Mayan calendar as interpreted into our terms makes it more understandable. Let me know what you guys think..

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-01-28, 08:18 AM in reply to D3V's post "2012"
I do think the end of humanity isn't too far. But by that, I still think it's a 100 or more years away. I don't think it's going to happen in 2012. But be warned: whenever it does happen, people are going to use it to say some psychic was right.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-01-28, 09:05 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I do think the end of humanity isn't..."
Yeah that may be true. I actually saw a nice peice the other day on the History channel peiceing together all of the possible things that could happen within our lifetime. There's an ample amount of things that could potentially go wrong, such as Nuclear war, tectonic plate shifts causing massive volcanoes that would result in a thick smoke coat keeping sunlight out of our world, global warming casusing massive flooding, things such as the san andraes fault collapsing, and dumping the western coast of California into the ocean, possibly causing a giant tidal wave towards our asian and austrailian friends.

The list is immense, and it truly is very sad that our world is caught up in the politics and complexity of our society that we cannot come together unless something horrible is to happen, and that time, could ultimately be the last thing for our human race.

What a shame.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-01-28, 09:42 AM in reply to D3V's post "2012"
Bloody typical if it does. The year London gets the Olympics and everything goes down the pan.

---

I think the Mayan calendar predicting 2012 as the Apocalypse is because that's as far as their number system goes.

The writings of Nostradamus are so obscure that they only become 'prophecies' after an event, simply because one or two words may be greatly warped out of context to mean something that may fit in with the event. None of them are real prophecies, just very liberal interpretations.

So no, my personal belief is that the 'predictions' are false.

And if they are true, well, at least I'll be going somewhere warm.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-01-28, 10:13 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Bloody typical if it does. The year..."
Lenny said:
The writings of Nostradamus are so obscure that they only become 'prophecies' after an event, simply because one or two words may be greatly warped out of context to mean something that may fit in with the event. None of them are real prophecies, just very liberal interpretations.
/signed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-01-28, 12:37 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "/signed."
I remember people being scared eight years ago. Hell, I was seven, I went to bed on new years eve with the thought I wouldn't wake up in the morning.

While Y2K mainly centered on computer failure, people were so paranoid they made the situation worse by adding possibly drastic assumptions to the mix.

On what ground does the end of the Mayan Calander hold any prophetic wisdom? They simply stopped on December 21st, the winter solstice. Maybe they got tired and decided to leave some work for future civilizations if they took up their calander system.

If it is the end of the world, I'll still have my 20th Birthday the day before we say goodbye.

Always keep it close to heart some cataclysmic event could wipe us out before 2012 in any case.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-01-28, 12:56 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I remember people being scared eight..."
Quote:
Always keep it close to heart some cataclysmic event could wipe us out before 2012 in any case.
Very true. With what's happening in the mideast you always just have to keep it in mind, and take what comes at you now, waiting around and letting life come to you isn't sensbile..

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-01-28, 10:32 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I remember people being scared eight..."
Atnas said:
While Y2K mainly centered on computer failure, people were so paranoid they made the situation worse by adding possibly drastic assumptions to the mix.
Well, I think Y2k had the very real potential of being quite cataclysmic.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-01-29, 04:12 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Well, I think Y2k had the very real..."
I stand corrected.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-01-29, 07:36 PM in reply to D3V's post "2012"
Someone brings this shit up every year. The world isn't ending in 2012, Nostradamous's predictions are vague and can be applied to anything, and it's a man-made apocalypse that'll wipe us out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2008-01-29, 08:05 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Someone brings this shit up every year...."
Prophesies are pretty insignificant to hold original truth if people today try to fulfill them. That's not so much a prophesy as it is a command to later generations, intentional or not.

An example we have on our own forums is Jackyboy here toying with the idea of fulfilling the prophecy of the Christian Anti-Christ.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2008-01-29, 09:36 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Prophesies are pretty insignificant to..."
That's only going to work if he's a Jewish homosexual.

Catch the reference.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2008-01-30, 06:30 AM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Prophesies are pretty insignificant to..."
Jackyboy... jackyboy? Are you referring to D3v? If so, that's hilarious.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-01-30, 12:32 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Jackyboy... jackyboy? Are you referring..."
http://zelaron.com/forum/showpost.ph...4&postcount=12

Sorry for any confusion. Jacky in the sense of KagomJack.

If that's D3V's name, I really don't pay attention to or know anyone's real name. So I couldn't have known.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2008-01-30, 02:39 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "http://zelaron.com/forum/showpost.php?p=..."
I figured it was because he lives in Jacksonville. (I think.)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-01-31, 03:12 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I figured it was because he lives in..."
I've brought this topic up before, and I find it interesting nonetheless... I read somewhere that the Winter Solstice will also occur on this day at 11:11:59
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-01-31, 04:25 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "I've brought this topic up before, and..."
"Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all".

*Hells-gate. There's so many things happening right now that I could honestly feel the world could end today, like said above, who's to guarntree it will last forever, .. I think we just need to embrace Carpe diem.

Quote:

Last edited by D3V; 2008-01-31 at 04:28 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-01-31, 08:27 PM in reply to D3V's post starting ""Neither shall he regard the God of his..."
D3V said:
"Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all".

That sums up myself.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2008-01-31, 08:55 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "That sums up myself."
You and everyone else, kid!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2008-02-01, 01:29 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "You and everyone else, kid!"
Disregarding the God of my fathers is my abandonment of the Catholic faith, disregard for the desire of women is my choice to never pursue romantic relationships, and I look down upon religion: believing that the individual is in itself more important than an organized group such as a religion or cult. Hence I do hold myself above all. If I believe all humanity is one, then we as a race are superior to everything, individually and together. We are, if you should put it this way, gods in and of ourselves.

Of course, this could also apply to anti-religious gay egomaniacs.

Just another example of the broad range of interpretations anything not literal can hold for any given individual.

Last edited by Atnas; 2008-02-01 at 01:31 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas