Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Censorship Priority Issues?
Posted 2007-11-08, 09:43 AM
This is something I was thinking about and discussing recently with a co-worker of mine, and something I've thought about in the past.

To me, there seems to be a problem with the priorities of censorship.

Firstly, let me make it clear that I'm against most any kind of censorship. I think censorship is usually just used as a way for irresponsible parents to have the media/society parent their children for them, especially when it comes to sex/nudity. It seems these days that sexuality and nudity are so taboo that parents just don't want their kids to know it exists. Heaven forbid they have to actually be parents and talk to their kids about sex. It's quite amazing how taboo sexuality and nudity are in our culture. On the "censorship priority scale" as I call it, sex and nudity are at the very top. Kids can see people killed on TV, all sorts of violence and language and all that jazz, but the world will come crashing down if they see someone nude.

A good example of this is the Janet Jackson boob episode. The outrage at that was just insane! Really, it was just a boob. But people were ready to string her up for it! What causes this sort of paranoid and zealous behavior towards nudity? Is it based in religion? I really try to understand what causes this phenomenon in our culture, but I honestly can't find the answer. Is it because people are insecure with their own selves?

I find it hard to tell whether censorship is increasing or decreasing in our society today. It seems to me like it increases in some ways and decreases in others. For instance, a lot of what is on TV today would not have been allowed 30 years ago. You see drug use on TV these days, which is quite surprising to me. You see insane amounts of violence on TV, more than we consciously realize because it's actually becoming a norm. Even as far as sexuality and nudity goes, it seems like we're opening up to more things, such as gay/lesbian people in relationships/kissing.

However, it does seem like censorship is on the rise. Perhaps we're moving back towards how things were in the past. Perhaps censorship seems to be on the rise because more people are producing more risque things than before, in the music industry for example.

It's important to understand what this sort of behavior does for our society, specifically for our children. Most parents don't seem to realize the covert messages that they are giving to their children. Children really take what you say quite literally and they also tune in to the underlying messages that may not even be intended. It seems like most parents seem to give their children this message that sex is bad and nudity is bad, etc. This leads to quite a few pretty serious mental issues. Some people are afraid to death of having sex because they feel like they are doing something wrong. Some people feel incredibly guilty just for having sex. This is really just some of the problems that can arise from this.

I think a better approach to the sex and nudity topic would be to say that sex and nudity are not for children. However, something like this might actually require parents to be parents.

Other examples of covert messages passed from parent to child:

If two little girls are fighting with each other, they are immediately pulled apart and told that girls don't fight. The underlying message here is that it's alright for boys to fight.

If a little boy and a little girl are fighting with each other, they are pulled apart and the boy is told that you don't hit girls. While this message has good intent, the underlying message is that it's alright to hit boys.

If two little boys are fighting, for the most part parents will just let them go at it. "They're just being boys."

It's no wonder men are more violent than women, more men than women commit violent crimes, etc. We're socialized from a very young age that this is how we are supposed to be.
Edited by !King_Amazon! 
Before I get called out on this, I would like to be clear that I do acknowledge that some of this is due to higher levels of testosterone in men than in women. This has been shown to be linked to higher levels of violence. However, it is not the sole reason for it, and our socialization as children plays a big part on it as well. This is why in some cultures men are not as violent as they are in ours and in some others.

Before I get too much farther off from the original topic, I'm going to sum this all up. I think parents need to be parents to their kids, not expect society to be parents to their kids. More and more, parents are passing along their parental jobs to society and the media, their schools, and everything else they can pass them on to. If parents aren't willing to be parents to their kids, they should not have kids in the first place. It's not fair to the kids for this sort of stuff to go on.

Sorry for the rant, hope it's clear enough to make some sense.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2007-11-08 at 09:45 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-11-08, 10:06 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Censorship Priority Issues?"
Quote:
It's no wonder men are more violent than women, more men than women commit violent crimes, etc. We're socialized from a very young age that this is how we are supposed to
When you can put some statistical information behind anything you just said, it's all just opinionated.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-11-08, 10:19 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "When you can put some statistical..."
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/gender.htm

I don't want this to turn into an argument with you, D3v. If anything, I want conversation. If you don't agree with me, that's fine, but don't argue over well known fact. Men are nearly 10x more likely to commit violent crimes than women. Men are in general more likely to commit any sort of crime than women.

Yes, most of what I said is opinionated, but it's based off of facts. I'm not going to cite sources for everything I say because I'm not writing a paper for school. If you want some sort of evidence for what I'm saying, that's fine, but please ask in a less offensive way.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2007-11-08 at 10:24 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!