Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

View Poll Results: Are you for or against abortion?
For 12 50.00%
Against 9 37.50%
No opinion 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Posted 2006-12-25, 07:50 PM in reply to Dubby's post starting "Genes are in every lifeform on this..."
Dubby said:
Genes are in every lifeform on this planet, intelligence is not. I weigh the "moral" value of an organism in its current ntelligence, not its genetics.
Out of curiosity, would you be in favor of praciticing eugenics?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-12-25, 09:22 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Out of curiosity, would you be in favor..."
That's what happens in nature. Eugenics is just a fancy word for human evolution. We're however smart enough to make evolution happen a whole lot faster then nature would normally. Ontop of that, we may also find ways to avoid negative eugenics all together by snipping out the bad parts of people's DNA.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dubby

Posted 2006-12-25, 09:53 PM in reply to Dubby's post starting "That's what happens in nature. ..."
Dubby said:
That's what happens in nature. Eugenics is just a fancy word for human evolution. We're however smart enough to make evolution happen a whole lot faster then nature would normally. Ontop of that, we may also find ways to avoid negative eugenics all together by snipping out the bad parts of people's DNA.
That may be true, but you did not answer my question.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-12-25, 10:35 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "That may be true, but you did not..."
"yes"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dubby

Posted 2006-12-26, 01:11 AM in reply to Dubby's post starting ""yes""
yeah....umm yeah....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2006-12-26, 08:12 AM in reply to Dubby's post starting "That's what happens in nature. ..."
To say over half of the posters here seem to be in favour of Abortion, I doubt you'll find many who agree with "snipping out the bad parts of people's DNA".

I do believe it's illegal in Britain, but not in America - 'tailor-made' babies. You have your eggs screened for certain signs that indicate whether the child will be male or female. And if you want a female child, one of the relevant eggs is used, ditto for if you want a male child. That's the main thing they do... but some clinics also offer the option, for an exorbitant amount of money, to have your eggs screened for signs of genetic diseases. Should an egg show a sign of a genetic disease, then they either destroy the egg or cut out the bad DNA (I don't know enough of the process to say for sure).

Thinking about it, I've probably just described, in basic terms, eugenics... but, still, I think it's wrong. A lot of people think it's wrong, in fact. And then they associate it with things like stem cell research, simply because both play around with gametes and embryos. In essence, bad feelings towards eugenics is giving stem cell research a bad name. A totally uncalled for bad name.

It also conveys the feeling that people with disabilities, or with genetic diseases, are inferior to other people - hence the trying to remove the chance of people being born into society with disabilities or genetic diseases. Don't forget that a sizeable chunk of the world was put through a more crude version of this by Hitler. It doesn't matter that it was over 60 years ago. A lot of people just think of the Holocaust, but Hitler also had people with disabilities and genetic diseases rounded up and murdered, simply because he didn't want them in his "perfect society".

I think that I'm just doomsaying here, so I'll just stop.

It may be an American attitude to things that means a lot of you might agree with abortion, or eugenics, but to me both are wrong. I'm in no way religious, but I do have some morals. How both can be thought of as justified is completely beyond me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-12-26, 09:31 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "To say over half of the posters here..."
Whether a baby is male or female is determined by the sperm, not the egg.

And choosing the gender of your baby doesn't have much to do with DNA if I remember right, they just separate the sperm into "likely" groups of female and male. It isn't even 100% right, just a try at it. I think it's 96% correct. Then again I was looking into this stuff about a year ago, it could have changed since then.

Me and Nikki are planning on having that done if we can afford it in any way. We've both pretty much agreed that little boys are a bit too crazy. Not that we wont be happy with one if we get one.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-12-26, 02:27 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Whether a baby is male or female is..."
Hitler was stupid. Mass murder isn't the answer, it NEVER is (well, unless its like, a bad disease, or a plague of killer bees, or something like that. Then? OKAY.). Forced adoption and controlled breeding is much, much, much better.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Dubby

Posted 2006-12-29, 09:57 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Then, to be honest, that's their..."
I vote against.

"I believe", fate has everything to do with every situation. How many times have you had unprotected sex, or close calls with you/or your partner being late on a period and sweating that out? lol Only takes that one time!! My situation, I am a single father and we used protection, but it still happened, unplanned...yes, unloved? Never!

It's a personal belief, but on the other hand "God" (if you believe) has given us free will, therefore, no matter who deems it to be right or wrong, it's personal.

For me, it's just wrong. Adoption > Abortion
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lukias is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLukias is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Lukias