Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

View Poll Results: Are you for or against abortion?
For 12 50.00%
Against 9 37.50%
No opinion 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Abortion: for or against
Posted 2006-12-10, 12:30 AM
For or against abortion, and why?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-12-10, 12:34 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Abortion: for or against"
I put my vote as "against", though that doesn't really represent my stance on the situation.

I guess what I would call it is "situationally for" abortion. I believe abortion should only be an option if a girl is pregnant due to rape or incest, or if having the baby would endanger her own life.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-12-10, 06:12 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Abortion: for or against"
Methinks I'm kinda like !K_A! on this one.

Yes, I'm against it... but in situations where the mother may be in danger if the birth goes ahead, or she's been raped, then it's an option that should at least be considered.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-12-10, 09:40 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Abortion: for or against"
I am for it in all reasonable circumstances. If a girl does not want a baby, or cannot reasonably support one, she should be able to make that decision. The dad should have some say in it too, however.

Now if she's having abortions multiple times a year, there is a problem...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-12-10, 11:41 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "I am for it in all reasonable..."
GravitonSurge said:
I am for it in all reasonable circumstances. If a girl does not want a baby, or cannot reasonably support one, she should be able to make that decision. The dad should have some say in it too, however.

Now if she's having abortions multiple times a year, there is a problem...
If the girl does not want a baby, she should not have gotten pregnant.

If she can't reasonably support a baby, there's always adoption.

"I don't want it" or "I can't support it" are not good enough reasons for preventing a life.

EDIT: Although I do agree with you about the father having a say in it. If abortion were going to be completely legal under all circumstances, then the father should have some say. What I mean by that though is:

Situation A
Mother wants an abortion, father does not. Father should get some say in this situation.

Situation B
Mother doesn't want an abortion, father does. Father should not get any say in this situation.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-12-10, 12:03 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Abortion: for or against"
I'm really tired of the debate, so I often tell people I have no opinion. But I'm for circumstantial abortion as has been mentioned in here and against doing it just because they don't want the child.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2006-12-10, 12:05 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "If the girl does not want a baby, she..."
I largely agree with KA on this one. I am against abortion in the sense that its basically people not taking responsibility for their actions. If you consent to a sexual relationship, you know damn well what the results will eventually be. Only cases where it can be seen as being reasonable are things such as rape, incest or where it will harm the mother.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
wilma is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenwilma is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

wilma

Posted 2006-12-10, 01:43 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "If the girl does not want a baby, she..."
A lifetime of being a single father/mom or stuck with a child that is unwanted is not a fair "punishment" for a single moment of stupid sex.

A child should not be a sentence for the crime of having sex.

Plus, the world has enough people as it is. If the abortion is done early enough, it is justifed in my eyes.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-12-10, 01:47 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "A lifetime of being a single father/mom..."
I agree with KA on this one.

That's why they made condoms.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2006-12-10, 04:19 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "A lifetime of being a single father/mom..."
Quote:
A lifetime of being a single father/mom or stuck with a child that is unwanted is not a fair "punishment" for a single moment of stupid sex.
If it really is too much to handle, then you put the child up for adoption.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-12-10, 05:45 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "A lifetime of being a single father/mom..."
GravitonSurge said:

A child should not be a sentence for the crime of having sex.

Plus, the world has enough people as it is. If the abortion is done early enough, it is justifed in my eyes.

A baby isn't punishment at all. I didn't want kids yet, but my daughter is amazing.

I'm obviously against abortion...well for me. I think that a woman should have the right to have an abortion, but i think that along with the procedure they should also have their tubes tied. If you can have an abortion you probably shouldn't have kids period. I'm very supportive of adoption so if you can't handle being a parent give the baby up for adoption. Kaneda was very back and fourth with the issue throughout my pregnancy. Not the abortion part, after he decided that's what he wanted, that's what he wanted....but that's the one thing i can say my mom did right...never aborted any of us. Yea, she has like 7 kids, but they all have good homes now and are very good people. So I honostly couldn't do it. Even when i thought i wanted to, its something i was raised against. But i do see how some women can, but i think they should be fixed then. I dont think you should be able to put having a kid on hold if your pregnant. if you don't want them, dont get pregnant, get fixed.
Your fucking stupid
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
klo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeklo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

klo

Posted 2006-12-10, 06:20 PM in reply to klo's post starting "A baby isn't punishment at all. I..."
You're Catholic, aren't you? Or at least come from a Catholic family.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2006-12-10, 06:54 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "You're Catholic, aren't you? Or at..."
I'm Catholic, and am told that it's wrong in ANY form, but the ONLY reason I myself would see it as the right choice would be if the mother would have to die for the child. Then it's her choice wether or not to die for her child or keep living.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2006-12-10, 07:00 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "If it really is too much to handle,..."
Lenny said:
If it really is too much to handle, then you put the child up for adoption.
The baby doesn't just suddenly pop out - there are 9 months of pregnancy involved.

During that time, the woman can be removed from school or unable to work... ridiculed or any number of things.

What if it was a genuine mistake? Say a condom broke during sex. Is that really the fault of the man or woman? Obviously if they were using a condom they did not want to get pregnant, so if it happens in an accident they should be forced to bear the child anyway?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2006-12-10, 07:19 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "The baby doesn't just suddenly pop out..."
GravitonSurge said:
The baby doesn't just suddenly pop out - there are 9 months of pregnancy involved.

During that time, the woman can be removed from school or unable to work... ridiculed or any number of things.

What if it was a genuine mistake? Say a condom broke during sex. Is that really the fault of the man or woman? Obviously if they were using a condom they did not want to get pregnant, so if it happens in an accident they should be forced to bear the child anyway?

I'm not catholic, but i was until i was about 10 or 11. Yes, there are nine months of pregnancy...i went through all of them, and worked until her due date, two days before she was born. And i was only 17 when i got pgt, the looks i got were not the best, especially when i was w/kaneda. I am a believer in that everything happens for a reason.
Your fucking stupid
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
klo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeklo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

klo

Posted 2006-12-10, 09:01 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Abortion: for or against"
It was just a couple that I didn't know asking me for my advice, I'd tell them I don't care. If I ever had a gf/wife get pregnant and she wanted an abortion, I'd be against it, but only because I want to have a child one day. No moral reason behind it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2006-12-11, 07:51 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "It was just a couple that I didn't know..."
Perhaps 9 months of pregnancy and the pain from giving birth will prevent them from getting pregnant again. I do agree that a lifetime of having a kid you don't want is not something that should be a punishment for a moment of stupidity, and that is why there are adoption centers. 9 months of pregnancy on the other hand that can temporarily make their life suck is not so bad that it justifies preventing a life. There are plenty of couples in this country (be it gays, or just a couple that can't have babies) that would gladly take the baby.

And the reason that "the world is full" is just a bullshit reason that shows you don't actually have any good ones. What if our government started killing 1.2 million people every year, I bet you wouldn't be so supportive of that.

There were over 1.2 million abortions in 1996. The abortion rates have dropped somewhat since then, but so have both birth and pregnancy rates.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2006-12-11 at 08:41 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-12-11, 10:06 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "The baby doesn't just suddenly pop out..."
Which is why you don't just rely on a condom. You use other contraceptives as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-12-11, 10:54 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Which is why you don't just rely on a..."
Lenny said:
Which is why you don't just rely on a condom. You use other contraceptives as well.
Sometimes it's just not an option. Crazy parents, for instance.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2006-12-11, 10:56 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Sometimes it's just not an option...."
Then, to be honest, that's their problem.

In a country where sexual education is taught, and there are family planning clinics here, there, and everywhere, they should know what they're doing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny