Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Posted 2006-11-11, 05:43 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "Incorrect, even if we vote for someone..."
Yes, but in my fantasy land the electoral college has been disbanded because the American public finally realized how goddamned stupid it is.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2006-11-11, 05:45 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "Yes, but in my fantasy land the..."
heh if only it wasnt a fantasy land
When my time comes, I want to be burried face down. That way, anyone that doesn't like me, can kiss my ass!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
talentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

talentedhamster

Posted 2006-11-18, 10:26 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "heh if only it wasnt a fantasy land"
Before you vote "yes" to abolish the electoral college, you really need think about the purpose it serves.

The electoral college serve(s)(d) three purposes.
1) Obviously at the time of the creation of the electoral college counting every person's vote and relying on those votes to be accurate and without corruption presented a problem. This doesn't play as big a role today with communications as advanced as they are and the developement of the internet making it even easier.

2) Having an uneducated mass vote can sometimes, although fair, not be in the best interest of our country. I've talked to some people and ask them who they've voted for and why. Responses range from and in-depth explanation of their political beliefs to "Well that's who my parents voted for." While I don't denounce that leader-sheep exists even in the highest levels of politics, it exists moreso at the citizen level, when votes are swayed by how charismatic the candidate looks, possibly on one issue(abortion being a big one, even if the candidate has stated he will not push the issue and let's not forget legislation makes laws), or maybe even peers' views. The electoral college guarantees that the person voting for the president will atleast know each candidate's background and have a general idea his/her creditentials.

3) The third and possibly hardest to understand is that the creators of the electoral college wanted somewhat of an equality in votes across the country. In 1888, Benjamin Harrison lost the popular vote by 95,713 votes to Grover Cleveland, but won the electoral vote by 65. This prevented a candidate from winning an election based on support from one region of the country. The South overwhelmingly supported Cleveland, and he won by more than 425,000 votes in six southern states. However, in the rest of the country he lost by more than 300,000 votes.

Let me finish by saying I am in support of fixing the Electoral College in one of two ways:

1) If you don't now, Let's say 30 out of the 55 California Electoral Votes go to a certain Candidate. Because of a majority of those votes went to that candidate, all 55 votes from that state actually go to that candidate, regardless of to whom the other 25 votes went. The reason for this is to base the election on states. However, the election of the president is a national event and the President of the United States presides over all of America. I therefore believe that the votes of a state should be counted as voted and not given wholey to one candidate based on the majority of the state.

2) The other way to "fix" the electoral college is absolve it. In doing so, I believe when one votes, a quiz should be taken that asks people various questions from where a candidate stands on different issues to their background. It would be short quiz, maybe only 10 general questions or so from a bank of many questions(cheating being a problem) If the voters answers, let's say 6/10 or so correctly, then that person's vote counts. In this way, uninformed citizens are not voting for a candidate based on reasons that are irrelevant to his candidacy and possibly future presidency.

Last edited by S2 AM; 2006-11-18 at 10:29 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2006-11-20, 03:12 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "My view: Since we are so rooted in our..."
You said bypartisanism he he he you know their are like 8 political parties 2 of which are gaining power because of the Republicans and Democrats attacking each other with some true and untrue facts the sheeple figure they will go for another party.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
hotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

hotdog