Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Photons and Mass
Posted 2002-05-16, 06:35 AM
According to my Physics' teacher, photons do have a mass, but according to the relativity theory, moving anything with the speed of light would take an infinite amount of energy.
Now, anything with energy must have a mass, and according to the Quantum theory, it technically means that anything larger than a photon could never move at the speed of light, since Photons ARE the speed of light.

Can anyone help me get these things straight?
I think the Quantum Physics explanation is right, but I need it for my game engine.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2002-05-16, 06:07 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Photons and Mass"
uh yea thats it photons = mass moving at speed of light, anything larger < less then speed of light, and everything is always moving 100% of the time
Photon = lightspeed
mass > photon = speed < lightspeed
woot i make no sense
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2002-05-17, 02:13 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Photons and Mass"
Quote:
Originally posted by Sum Yung Guy
mass > photon = speed < lightspeed
woot i make no sense
In simpler words, what you said is that if anything has a larger mass than a photon, it will have a slower speed than the speed of light, which makes a lot of sense according to the Quantum Physics. However, I wish someone else could have posted it a little faster, since I already got the answer 27 hours ago
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2002-05-17, 02:16 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Photons and Mass"
a little to slow was I..... oh well
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2002-05-17, 04:13 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Photons and Mass"
You opend my eye!!! I am 100000000 Times slowers than phonton!

Made by the Guardian Of Zelaron
Re-edit by the Nightmare of Demons

Made by the Demons' Nightmares
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HLomegasin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenHLomegasin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

HLomegasin

Posted 2002-05-29, 05:41 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Photons and Mass"
The fattest u are the slower u run...That's not new...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sirpullido is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSirpullido is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Sirpullido

Posted 2002-06-09, 08:29 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Photons and Mass"
ooo fast...
~~Maple~~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Maple556 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMaple556 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Maple556