Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

View Poll Results: Will the gas prices go down after the war is over?
Yes 2 7.69%
No 16 61.54%
I'm not sure 8 30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Posted 2008-05-25, 07:17 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Shit, 10 years ago all I would need to..."
scratch that, 1.05.7 the litter now >_>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kyeruu

Posted 2008-05-26, 09:18 AM in reply to kyeruu's post starting "scratch that, 1.05.7 the litter now..."
Gas prices aren't going to go down noticabley if any after the war. Between China/India's growing middle class, maturing oil fields, and increasing domestic consumption, we're just using more of the shit with less of it available. We have to go super efficient and/or find an alternative fuel source in the near future or we're fucked. Coal liquification looks like a good alternative in the short-term. It's bad, pollution wise, but it's not as bad as our economy derailing due to skyrocketing energy prices.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-05-26, 05:53 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post "Will gas prices go down once the war is..."
no because world wide demand is to high
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
150089 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between150089 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Posted 2008-05-26, 09:43 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Shit, 10 years ago all I would need to..."
Maybe if we globally boycott the oil companies, gas prices will go down
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-05-27, 12:34 AM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Maybe if we globally boycott the oil..."
That will never happen Wallow, Everyone uses gas in some way. Besides, most of the oil factories are only Operating at 86%. The government is making a fortune off this shit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Coriander shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeCoriander shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Coriander

Posted 2008-05-27, 08:47 AM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Maybe if we globally boycott the oil..."
Wallow said:
Nah, that never works. We couldn't be organized enough, the only thing that will make the cost go down is the consumption. Supply and demand is a bitch, man. I heard on the news yesterday that Holiday driving was down like 6 billion miles or something this past month, which is awesome. The less gas and oil we consume the less they're going to charge for it, it's always been that way. And they are NOT going to help us out with George Bush in the white house, the whole organization of OPEC hates him.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-05-27, 12:02 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Maybe if we globally boycott the oil..."
Wallow said:
How do you propose that we boycott the oil companies? Everything we use on a day-to-day basis is shipped using petroleum. You can buy/eat locally grown produce, but even then it's been transported with petroleum, although less of it.

D3v said:
the only thing that will make the cost go down is the consumption.
There are two ways to reduce price. Lowering demand or increasing supply. Increasing supply by opening Anwar (sp?) and exploring other fields (maybe antarctica, etc.) can reduce costs. There's also developing alternative fuel sources which will also reduce the demand for petroleum. Probably the dirtiest, yet most abundant source of fuel we have is coal. We can turn it into petroleum, but dealing with coal (especially the high sulfur kind of my area) is dirty business for the environment. However, we may not have much choice.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-05-27, 12:03 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "How do you propose that we boycott the..."
I say we just lift the embargo we placed on ourselves back in the 70's and import and refine our own oil.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-05-27, 01:43 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I say we just lift the embargo we..."
Let's drill Alaska!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-05-27, 01:47 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Let's drill Alaska!"
Even if we drill Alaska, that'll just be putting a bandaid on the fucking hoover dam. We need to switch to a more efficient means of transportation and an alternative fuel source. We could start with revamping the transportation grids of the U.S. The pattern of stop lights being helped a bit with new technology would help save (probably) a comparable amount of fuel to opening up anwar.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-05-27, 02:02 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Even if we drill Alaska, that'll just..."
I'm all for any alternative fuel sources, because you've got to figure in the long run do we always want to be dependant on foreign oil? Hell noes.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-05-28, 01:00 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I'm all for any alternative fuel..."
Gas prices are going up because of the falling value of the dollar, not a lack of supply.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2008-05-28, 10:56 AM in reply to Xenn's post starting "Gas prices are going up because of the..."
Among other things, yes. I guess if you look at it in that reguard, our value of the dollar may go up, eventually after the war is over but it will probably be a long time to get back up to where we were since we are in such a horrible debt.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-05-28, 08:02 PM in reply to Xenn's post starting "Gas prices are going up because of the..."
Xenn said:
Gas prices are going up because of the falling value of the dollar, not a lack of supply.
I respectfully disagree. I understand you're an econ major and everything, but blaming it on one variable is too simplistic. The falling dollar, increased demand, supply disruptions due to civil unrest, and maturing oil fields are all big issues. Of course the falling dollar might possibly be the largest culprit, but there are more things than just that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-05-29, 08:40 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I respectfully disagree. I understand..."
god gave you feet why don't you all use it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
osmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenosmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

osmoses-jones

Posted 2008-05-29, 11:16 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I respectfully disagree. I understand..."
Yeah I know it's a multitude of issues; I just thought I'd point out a big one one that is often overlooked. I think the real issue with supply isn't that supply is actually running out (though it is technically) but that projected increases in demand (outside the US) are causing oil futures to skyrocket.

EDIT: Oh and I'm not trying to pretend I'm some sort of expert because I plan on majoring in econ; I definitely haven't learned enough yet to invoke myself as a credible source. I have done some reading on the subject, though, and hopefully am not misinformed.

Last edited by Xenn; 2008-05-29 at 11:18 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2008-05-29, 11:48 AM in reply to Xenn's post starting "Yeah I know it's a multitude of issues;..."
I thought the biggest issue was not that it wasn't getting pumped efficently, but not being refined up to where it should be.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-06-01, 12:44 AM in reply to osmoses-jones's post starting "god gave you feet why don't you all use..."
Osmoses, your people are driving ferraris and living in mansions because we aren't using our feet . Well, the upper class .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood