Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Political Parties, do we need them?
Posted 2006-03-29, 10:20 PM
It has come to a time where most politicians are more looking out for themselves than their people in the U.S. (or it's been there for a while and we're just noticing it a lot.) The government, as it is, is dominated by a single party whose agenda can be pushed with no opposition. The checks and balances between particular branches of the government cease to work properly.

So I ask ...are political parties REALLY needed? Just would like some thoughts on this one. I know this isn't exactly conspiracy but yea ...seemed like a more befitting place to discuss it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-30, 08:53 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post "Political Parties, do we need them?"
Dictators do get things done more quickly...but without Political Parties, we'd have all this business with Ruling Families again.

Parliament got pretty pissed off with Ruling Families and them being adamant they were directly picked by God...look what happened to Charles I. 5' 4" at the start of his reign, 4' 8" by the end of it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-03-30, 08:43 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Dictators do get things done more..."
So you don't believe it's possible for politicians to run for office without a political party? I'm not saying preordained families :P.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-31, 06:15 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "So you don't believe it's possible for..."
I've never voted, and I dont really give two shits about politics, but don't a lot of people vote for someone just because they are a democrat or just because they are a republican? If they do away with polticial parties people would have vote on someone based on what they say and an affiliation would have nothing to do with their choice.

I'm probably totally wrong.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2006-03-31, 10:37 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "I've never voted, and I dont really..."
Politicains join political parties if they agree with the party on most issues. Thats how people are accepted into a certain party. A long time ago, republicans used to be the more financaily(sp) concervative party. However, since they regained control of the House and Senate they have lost a lot of that, and have started to expand government budgets. Either way, mainly the political party provides funding and campagin managing help to its politicains.

If you really wanted to do away with all parties you could, but as it stands you can still vote for the politician and not just a party.
!King_Amazon! said:
Just ask the married chick he fucked.

Who Delivers ten times out of ten?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MightyJoe

Posted 2006-03-31, 12:24 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "So you don't believe it's possible for..."
Quote:
So I ask ...are political parties REALLY needed?
When I come to vote, I'll more than likely vote for the Lib Dems, because Labour are dicks, and the Conservatives are exactly the same.

The only problem with a Politician coming into office (say they became Prime Minister or President) without a Party, they'd rarely get things passed that other parties don't like. I don't know how many Parties battle it out in Congress, or whatever it is, but in Parliament it's Labour, Conservatives, and occasionally the Lib Dems. At the moment, Tony Blair is pushing a reforms thingy for education. A lot of his Labour back-benchers are against him, as are most of the Conservatives, and the Lib Dems.

Say the situation was exactly the same, but Tony Blair was a man without a party. First of all, how on earth did he get into office in the first place? and secondly, he'd get more or less EVERYTHING voted against by more or less everyone else (apart from his cabinet and some of the other ministers that agree with him).

In that scenario, absolutely nothing would be done, showing us how bad an idea it was for old Tony to run for office on his bill. However, there are probably one or two cases where it might work.

All in all, I'd have to say it isn't really that possible for Politicians to run on their own, and get things done.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-03-31, 03:29 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "When I come to vote, I'll more than..."
We have two parties: Democrats (stereotypically liberal) and Republican (stereotypically conservative). Occasionally you'll see an independant/3rd party senator or representative, but they are the exceptions. 99% of the time it's those two parties going at it.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2006-03-31, 03:37 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "I've never voted, and I dont really..."
Sovereign said:
I've never voted, and I dont really give two shits about politics, but don't a lot of people vote for someone just because they are a democrat or just because they are a republican? If they do away with polticial parties people would have vote on someone based on what they say and an affiliation would have nothing to do with their choice.

I'm probably totally wrong.
You're not wrong ...that's one of the reasons why they're so shitty :/.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood