Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Should convicted felons be allowed to vote?
Posted 2012-10-03, 04:33 PM
Because activity, and shit like that.

---

!King_Amazon!, Chatbox said:
I think it's stupid that in some states convicted felons can't vote

I disagree, to a point.

The best definition of "crime" that I've come across is: crime is an act, deemed unacceptable by society, so bad that the state punishes you for doing it.

Ignoring the view that laws are a tool used by pencil-pushers to build their ideal world, if you commit a crime then you are doing something that, essentially, marks you as unfit to be part of society. If you've chosen to go down this path, whatever the reasons, then you should not have a say in how society is governed - you lose your membership card, and with it some rights you would have had if you were a law-abiding citizen. As such, I support taking the right to vote away from convicted felons, who are serving their punishment.

I don't know the ins and outs of American law, nor the states in which convicted felons can't vote, but I only support taking the right to vote away from criminals who are serving their time, whether it's in prison, or doing something like community service. If it's the case that having a criminal-record prevents you from voting ever, then that's not on.

In short: the state's retribution for your crimes against it should include stripping your right to vote. Once you have paid the state back, however, your rights return. Step out of line again, and face the consequences again, until such a point where you get smart, or get locked up and lose your rights for life.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2012-10-03, 07:34 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Should convicted felons be allowed to..."
I can't vote, don't really give a fuck either.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2012-10-03, 07:47 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Should convicted felons be allowed to..."
I don't understand why /the masses/ think Stupid people should be allowed to vote.
It makes /absolute sense/ if a politician does - more people to easily manipulate.
Which is why we, the not-as-fucking-stupid people, need to say "no, stupid people can't vote". Like, not like a "can you do basic math" test. Like a "Can you do basic common fucking sense" test.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2012-10-03, 07:53 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I don't understand why /the masses/..."
Because some felons are psycopaths, and the politicians's psycology doesn't work on them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-10-03, 10:03 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I don't understand why /the masses/..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
I don't understand why /the masses/ think Stupid people should be allowed to vote.
It makes /absolute sense/ if a politician does - more people to easily manipulate.
Which is why we, the not-as-fucking-stupid people, need to say "no, stupid people can't vote". Like, not like a "can you do basic math" test. Like a "Can you do basic common fucking sense" test.
There are different kinds of intelligence.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-10-04, 07:05 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "There are different kinds of..."
That's what I just said, yes. People who lack common sense, and/or knowledge of anything government related, should not be able to decide who runs the place, when all they really know about is lawnmowers.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2012-10-04, 10:46 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "That's what I just said, yes. People..."
Define "common sense".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-10-04, 02:44 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Define "common sense"."
I like to think Albert Einstein defined common sense perfectly.

Einstein said:
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2012-10-04, 05:38 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "That's what I just said, yes. People..."
You act like voting directly decides who wins. Nay, voting decides representatives that decide who wins. Representatives aren't generally unintelligent. Thus, the chaff of individuals you mentioned is more or less eliminated. Electoral votes; read up.

Also, the voting rate in the US for the 2008 election was only 57%. Excluding the amount of people that voted because it was a key racial landmark in US politics, that's only little more than half of the US population. The majority of the rest are either disconcerted Americans or the "Stupid people" as you said. The candidates would really have to focus on issues like gun control and homosexual marriage to incite more votes, and they just aren't key subjects when the backdrop for this election is the rate at which the economy hasn't recovered.

Last edited by Wallow; 2012-10-04 at 05:40 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2012-10-05, 09:08 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Define "common sense"."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
Define "common sense".
"Do not spend your entire paycheck on beef jerky, if you have yet to pay your bills"
"Do not drive a car at 100mph is you are blind"
"Do not masturbate in a kindergarten class room"
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2012-10-11, 07:55 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting ""Do not spend your entire paycheck on..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
"Do not spend your entire paycheck on beef jerky, if you have yet to pay your bills"
"Do not drive a car at 100mph is you are blind"
"Do not masturbate in a kindergarten class room"
Well, to be fair, that last one only applies if it isn't currently nap time.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord