Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Question Schizophrenia and Prayer
Posted 2008-09-19, 08:52 AM
Basically, is there any difference in a diagnosed Schizophrenic, and somebody that Prays every night/morning?

To start things off, here are a few definitions of Schizophrenia:

http://science-education.nih.gov/sup...r/glossary.htm

Quote:
A chronic, severe, and disabling brain disease. People with schizophrenia often suffer terrifying symptoms such as hearing internal voices or believing that other people are reading their minds, controlling their thoughts, or plotting to harm them. These symptoms may leave them fearful and withdrawn. Their speech and behavior can be so disorganized that they may be incomprehensible or frightening to others.
http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/sch...CH_whatis.html

Quote:
People with schizophrenia may hear internal voices not heard by others or may see things that are not really there. These experiences can seem threatening and can make them fearful and withdrawn. They also may have trouble organizing their thoughts and expressing themselves. Their speech and behavior can be so disorganized that they may seem frightening to others.

Basically. I was joking with a friend of mine the other day about Bible "thumpers". And just religion in general, I was opening him up to my world of thinking, and we joked around about politics, the usualy bullshit-pass-the-time-chatter. Well eventually another friend of ours came into the conversation, and he's very, highly religious.

Of course, he threw out a few religious-thumps, and I came back pretty swiftly with

: "Well, you know there is no difference in between a Schizophrenic and somebody that prays every night to God".

This startled him immideately, and he was stunned for quite some time. He then asked, "Well, how do you figure that"? In which I told him, well Schizophrenics generally have thoughts and voices in their heads, and basically believe something is there that they can't prove or can't exactly see, and when they talk about this "imaginary person" usually everyone else around them finds them to be insane. And yet, when a person is praying, it's quite normal.

He got very pissed at this point and told me I was going to hell, etc. When in reality I was just cracking a joke, but regardless I feel that there is substance to that point, it is valid in most of the sense. Maybe schizophrenia isn't the correct term to have used, but it served it's purpose well at the time.

Discuss.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-09-19, 09:09 AM in reply to D3V's post "Schizophrenia and Prayer"
As intelligent life evolved, religion came with it as a form of survival instinct. The humans could unify themselves thus having better chances of surviving. Now thousands of years after religion started, more and more people are starting to not believe in it. Thats because were evolving past the point of needing religion... its actually hindering us now.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2008-09-19, 09:24 AM in reply to D3V's post "Schizophrenia and Prayer"
The only difference I see is that God doesn't talk back.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2008-09-19, 10:39 AM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "The only difference I see is that God..."
Jessifer said: [Goto]
The only difference I see is that God doesn't talk back.
I've thought about this as well. But some do claim to hear God's voice, which can also be caused by other neurological problems, or even side effects from some diseases such as Lyme Disease.

I know this is a random topic, but I guess i'm not implying that people praying are Schizo's or anything, but more-so is it wrong to even joke like that, as they take it so seriously?

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-09-19, 10:46 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I've thought about this as well. But..."
Those who claim to hear God truely are Schizo's, in my eyes.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2008-10-29, 03:31 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Those who claim to hear God truely are..."
For example: George Bush. And now Sarah Palin claims to be doing God's Will. LULZ

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-10-30, 07:03 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Those who claim to hear God truely are..."
So based on Jess's understanding, everyone that claims to hear god's words truly are schizo's.
Does that make Jesus a schizo?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-10-30, 08:27 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "So based on Jess's understanding,..."
Well yes if religion is in fact wrong.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2008-10-30, 09:52 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Well yes if religion is in fact wrong."
Don't let your war buddies get into your head like that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-10-30, 09:56 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Don't let your war buddies get into..."
To be able to say I have friends that I went to war with (multiple times) who would risk their lives to save mine is something special indeed. Tell me Grav, will your co-workers risk their only life for you?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2008-10-31, 06:04 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "To be able to say I have friends that I..."
You don't have to give their religious beliefs more credence because they can save your ass.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav