Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Grin Video type thingy Help (lol)
Posted 2006-03-18, 04:31 PM
Ok i don't mean intro things, those are easy, but I'll have to tell you about my game for you to help. Here it goes...

My game is called "Tales Of The Sacred City" (pretty lame, its in progress)
anywho at the start its in black and white sybolizing its in the past and the main character is playing in the forest while his parents watch. Guards come in and annouce that they should go home and take shelter because King's brother Just declared war on his brother. Blahblahblah dad goes to fight in war blahblahblah. 5 years later, Main character is now 15 years old and the
war still goes on.But no sign of his Old man. His mother tells him the enemy are on the outskirts of there Kingdom and there future isn't looking to good.
she shows him her secret sac of gold coins that she's been collecting and gives it to him. When he goes to the gate of the castle enemy has broken throught and are ramsaking the kingdom. He corners at the back of the town
still hidden. and the only way is the cliff and the very very back of the city where no one goes because theres a forest before it. He EVENTUALLY gets to the cliff and but its a long long way down because, well its a sacred city and therefore hard to find..

Here's my question... Is there a way to show my hero getting pushed off the
cliff like _
| ' <---our hero
|
|
|_______ that? (if you can't see the pic i made with lines its just him falling of a cliff) if you can plz tell him if not any suggestions?

Thanks -Ninja (any comments on my game? hehe)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
United_Ninjas is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenUnited_Ninjas is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

United_Ninjas

Posted 2006-03-18, 04:57 PM in reply to United_Ninjas's post "Video type thingy Help (lol)"
What you can do, if you can animate and whatever, is make it in a program like Windows Movie Maker, or Macromedia Flash, export it as a .avi file, and import it into RM2K3. YOu'd then need to play using an event in the menu file. I'll find it in a bit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-03-18, 05:10 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "What you can do, if you can animate and..."
Ok, but i don't have either of those i don't think..i know i don't have flash..hmmm
any suggestions tho?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
United_Ninjas is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenUnited_Ninjas is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

United_Ninjas

Posted 2006-03-18, 05:33 PM in reply to United_Ninjas's post starting "Ok, but i don't have either of those i..."
You should have Movie Maker.

Look under Start > Programs > Accesories and it should be there.

As for doing it IN RM2K3...it should be possible, but it might look a bit corny.

If you build the cliff, and have people on top. Then set it so one perons moves forward, and the person who is 'pushed' moves (movement event that happens straight after the person moves forward) out, off the cliff, and then down.

Give me five minutes, and I'll upload it.

EDIT: Bah, stupid thing won't work. Probably because I'm tired.

Basically, the guy on top of the cliff is actually an event. This event has one thing that happens --> Move event: Move, This Event (in this case EV002), Move Right, Move Right, Move Down, Move Down, Move Down and so on and so forth.

This happens after, say, EV001 moves forwards a step, so it's stood behind him, and Calls Event EV002.

At least, I think that's how it would work. BC will know for sure.

Hope all this makes sense to you.

Last edited by Lenny; 2006-03-18 at 05:44 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-03-18, 06:03 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "You should have Movie Maker. Look..."
It makes some sense to me thanks (i hope BlueCube Reads this so he can say what
i could do..)

-Ninja
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

United_Ninjas

Posted 2006-03-18, 06:08 PM in reply to United_Ninjas's post starting "It makes some sense to me thanks (i..."
He's replying right now even.

Glad it makes sense. I'm reading it back and can't make head nor tail of it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-03-18, 06:16 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "You should have Movie Maker. Look..."

Alright, we're assuming that Orange is the object to be pushed off of the cliff. Red is the "pusher", and Yellow is the target square.

I'll also assume these points:
  • Yellow is a square that any character can land on. IT IS NOT AN EVENT.
  • The "hero" is hidden. Either set the transparency before this event, or (if this is the "first" map), the hero's sprite is set to a blank charset.
  • Orange is an event that is the same layer as the hero.
  • You have a "master" event somewhere, set on autostart, with only one page, no preconditions.

Alright, this is easy. Your "master" event will start as soon as this map is loaded.

First, determine which direction you're going to have Orange jump in. In this case, we're heading east.

Now, we'll have Orange jump, which is a simple "Move Event" command. You'll want to do the following, with Orange:

Code:
Face Right (<-- Direction we're going, in 3-d)
Lock Facing
Start Jump
Right
Right
Right
Down
Down
Down
Down
Down
End Jump
Unlock Facing
Easy enough, Orange will jump to the Yellow square, which is 3 moves to the right and 5 down.

After you get that set up, you might want to tweak the presentation a little. You can have Red and Orange start offscreen, use a Move Event to move them both onscreen and to the edge of the cliff, and then have Red run behind Orange and ram into him, activating our little jumping script.

You can also have Orange get knocked offscreen, (as long as you have a target square for him to land on), and then Pan Screen down to where he is, after a Wait Command or something.

COLORS
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2006-03-18, 06:20 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/3476/..."
BC, you can do things too well.

My little testy thing map was a big wall, with a bad pathc of grass in a line on top of it...and the rest was pink.

Can I ask, why the "COLORS"...horrible spelling too. *shudders*
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-03-18, 06:30 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "BC, you can do things too well. My..."
im trying to make that map you made it looks so perfect, is it a custom chipset or is it on the program?

-Ninja
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

United_Ninjas

Posted 2006-03-18, 06:45 PM in reply to United_Ninjas's post starting "im trying to make that map you made it..."
It's RTP, so yeah, it comes with it. It uses the default "World Map" tileset.

As for colors... COLORS
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2006-03-18, 06:48 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "It's RTP, so yeah, it comes with it. ..."
I still don't get why you've got COLORS there, with no apparent reason.

I say you ought to spell it properly - Colours.

I'm entitled to vote! And I say you change it!

Can I ask, how long have you been doing things in RPGMakers? 95, 2k, 2k3, XP.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-03-18, 06:52 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I still don't get why you've got COLORS..."
who BlueCube?
probably but i've been doing it for about 3 months now
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

United_Ninjas

Posted 2006-03-18, 06:54 PM in reply to United_Ninjas's post starting "who BlueCube? probably but i've been..."
All questions deserve an answer.

You've been doing it longer than I had when i came here.

I'd been doing it for a week or two, found a tutorial on Zelaron, registered, and I've been annoying the locals from my little chair in Britain ever since.

I started with RM2K, upgraded to RM2K3, was told off for posting RMXP links, waited six months, then posted them.

You know, I've never got further than making all the characters in a game. I always kill it off.

EDIT: Wow, I've just realised. 3 smileys in one post...and all the same one.

I really must get some sleep.

Toodles!

Last edited by Lenny; 2006-03-18 at 06:56 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-03-18, 07:00 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "All questions deserve an answer. :) ..."
Sweet.
I've been waiting for a British/America spelling arguement.

We Americans spell Color, Honor and many other words without u's because of the American Revolution. I'm not going to go into a word spelling lecture but I always loved that fact.

Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor Color Honor
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2006-03-18, 07:16 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/3476/..."
you know what you could also do, is if you can find a charset(i might have one, depending on which charset you use) that shows the surprised character then you can edit the picture and rotate the character around as he's falling. then, what should be also included the same charset, there is a picture of a collapsed character and set it so that as soon as the character hits the ground the picture is set on the picture of the collapsed character. if the picture of the collapsed character isn't there, you can do what i did: rotate a picture on it's side of the character w/ closed eyes. hope that helps!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sciencekid is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensciencekid is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sciencekid

Posted 2006-03-19, 03:16 AM in reply to sciencekid's post starting "you know what you could also do, is if..."
That's an interesting thing to do. It looks like none of us thought of it either.

Don't suppose you've got an example?

----------

Quote:
Sweet.
I've been waiting for a British/America spelling arguement.
Some people...

coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr coloUr honoUr neighboUr favoUr

----------

Going back to having a video in avi format, and importing it in, how would you go about setting it to play and everything when you want it to play?

Say you've just beaten a boss, time for the cutscene, Hero walks to a door on one side of the screen, the door is an event, triggers when the Hero hits it - triggers the event containing the video...but what is the event coding?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-03-19, 08:42 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "That's an interesting thing to do. It..."
I think it would be simply "Play Movie"

As for the jumping thing....if you put up a sprite sheet of your character, I am almost positive that Aurvian can edit you a sprite for when he hits the ground....be it a splatter, or simply a few broken bones...
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2006-03-19, 08:57 AM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "I think it would be simply "Play Movie"..."
Draco2003 said:
I think it would be simply "Play Movie"

As for the jumping thing....if you put up a sprite sheet of your character, I am almost positive that Aurvian can edit you a sprite for when he hits the ground....be it a splatter, or simply a few broken bones...
Well its just the standard "Zack" charset in 2K3
i have a second CharSet of him that someone made of him like in the dead
position but any edits of Zack would me really cool

i have the oringinal Zack and the modified one. the modified one of zack with him down and bloody. but i would most appreciate it of someone had a CharSet of Zack Falling of a high place or spinning or surprised like bouncing off the ground with impact thing around him. thanx in advanced

-Ninja

Ok the oringinal didn't upload for somereason but you all know what i looks like blue coat, brown hair, bandana? he's in the attachment.

Last edited by United_Ninjas; 2006-03-19 at 09:03 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

United_Ninjas

Posted 2006-03-19, 10:42 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/3476/..."
You could do that or have events going on the way down with one page as blank, the second page having the character and a trigger(for each event) such as hero fall 1, hero fall 2 and have a third page with a blank character and have a trigger such as hero fell 1, hero fell 2 and so on.

This would show the fall with events, of course the character would have to be blank.

If its to complicated, I can downlaod RM2K3 and make it then upload it.
"why I've gotta be one of the cool kids just to walk by/
- without being tripped, thrown down on the ground and kicked/
Insulting me for no reason, I was treated like shit/
The teachers let it happen/
I've even seen some of them teachers laughing/
That's why I had a smile on my face when I started blastin/" - Ill Bill - The Anatomy of a School Shooting
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Original Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenOriginal Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Original Sin

Posted 2006-03-19, 10:46 AM in reply to Original Sin's post starting "You could do that or have events going..."
Original Sin said:
You could do that or have events going on the way down with one page as blank, the second page having the character and a trigger(for each event) such as hero fall 1, hero fall 2 and have a third page with a blank character and have a trigger such as hero fell 1, hero fell 2 and so on.

This would show the fall with events, of course the character would have to be blank.

If its to complicated, I can downlaod RM2K3 and make it then upload it.
Could you upload it? cause im confused lol
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

United_Ninjas