Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Interesting Parasite
Posted 2007-06-22, 08:05 PM
So, after !K_A! and Vault Dweller brought up the Candiru in another thread, I figured I'd check out other parasites while I'm bored at work, and found this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymothoa_exigua

Wikipedia said:
Cymothoa exigua is a parasitic crustacean of the family Cymothoidae. This parasite attaches itself at the base of the tongue of the Spotted rose snapper, Lutjanus guttatus, with the claws on its front three pairs of legs, and extracts blood. As the parasite grows, less and less blood is able to reach the tongue, and eventually the organ atrophies from lack of blood. The parasite then replaces the fish's tongue with its own body, by attaching to the muscles of the tongue stub. The fish is able to use the parasite just like a normal tongue, except that it has to share its food with the parasite. It appears that the parasite does not cause any other damage to the host fish [1]. Once C. exigua replaces the tongue, it supplements its diet with food particles, thereby relieving strain on the host's circulatory system. This is the only known case of a parasite functionally replacing a host organ.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-06-22, 08:17 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post "Interesting Parasite"
That's freaking awesome.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-06-22, 08:37 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That's freaking awesome."
That's one cool ass bug.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2007-06-22, 09:48 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post "Interesting Parasite"
Interesting
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-06-23, 12:01 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post "Interesting Parasite"
Wow. That's much less freakish than the Candiru. Now if only I could find one of those which could replace my tar-ridden lungs...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-06-23, 12:12 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Wow. That's much less freakish than..."
Search wikipedia and you might just find one. Wikipedia answers all. That is definitely a crazy parasite though. Sort of strange that it stops growing after a point though, usually they would keep growing and sucking blood it seems like. I suppose from an evolutionary stand point it is wiser just to halt growth at the tongue so it doesn't kill the host but still can benefit from attaching itself within the fish.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2007-06-23, 11:51 AM in reply to timmay1113's post starting "Search wikipedia and you might just..."
timmay1113 said:
Search wikipedia and you might just find one.
Neg, the article states this is the only case of a parasite replacing a host organ, although Wikipedia isn't always 100% reliable.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-06-23, 03:00 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Neg, the article states this is the..."
lol Well I was joking around about the parasite for the lungs. Lungs are one of those more complex organs that unfortunately cant be replaced or at least I don't think I have ever actually heard of a lung transplant before.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2007-06-23, 03:06 PM in reply to timmay1113's post starting "lol Well I was joking around about the..."
Oh, don't be silly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lung_transplant

Of course they can!

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2007-06-23, 03:36 PM in reply to timmay1113's post starting "lol Well I was joking around about the..."
timmay1113 said:
lol Well I was joking around about the parasite for the lungs. Lungs are one of those more complex organs that unfortunately cant be replaced or at least I don't think I have ever actually heard of a lung transplant before.
I meant that I think the human lung would require too specific of a replacement for a parasite to mimic the functions of it.

Kinda like the Babelfish; entirely too useful to really exist.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-06-23, 03:43 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I meant that I think the human lung..."
Lol, i love wiki.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2007-06-23, 03:46 PM in reply to slaynish's post starting "Lol, i love wiki."
slaynish said:
Lol, i love wiki.
It's my best friend at work, I learn so much awesome stuff while bored at work...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-06-23, 03:49 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "It's my best friend at work, I learn so..."
Share, share!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

slaynish

Posted 2007-06-23, 03:57 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I meant that I think the human lung..."
I always wondered how small it must be, to be able to swim through an ear canal...

---

What a strange parasite this "Cymothoa exigua" is. One would have thought that the fish would realise and try and get rid of it, surely?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-06-23, 04:09 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I always wondered how small it must be,..."
Lenny said:
I always wondered how small it must be, to be able to swim through an ear canal...

---

What a strange parasite this "Cymothoa exigua" is. One would have thought that the fish would realise and try and get rid of it, surely?
I imagine it's like trying to brush your teeth armless, you simply can't.

I'll share some interesting things in a bit, Slaynish. I have a debate I'm thinking about posting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-06-23, 07:10 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I always wondered how small it must be,..."
Lenny said:

---

The fish might be too dumb to realize its tongue is being replaced by a parasite if its not actually causing much pain.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

timmay1113