Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Can you learn programming strictly from books?
Posted 2004-09-07, 09:52 PM
This is a question I've had for a while, and I want to know what your opinions on it are. Oviously, if you can get some practical experience, it's better, but do you think that you can become a good programmer strictly through book knowledge?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-09-07, 10:02 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Can you learn programming strictly from..."
You can, but very confusing to me. You'll get stuck on one sentance for atleast 30 min.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tokill.ace

Posted 2004-09-07, 10:04 PM in reply to tokill.ace's post starting "You can, but very confusing to me...."
Well, I don't mean syntactically. Syntax obviously will take a little time, and reference to books to get used to for every language you learn. What I meant to ask was can you be an efficient programmer with just book-knowledge?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-09-07, 10:53 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Well, I don't mean syntactically...."
It really depends what book you buy. If your a newbie at it and buy Dummies, it will help you understand it a little better. After you do the Dummy, go for the hard ones and you will learn.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tokill.ace

Posted 2004-09-07, 10:54 PM in reply to tokill.ace's post starting "It really depends what book you buy. If..."
Obviously, but can you become an effecient programmer strictly through books. I'm not doubting that you can learn through them, I'm asking can you become good at it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-09-08, 04:40 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Obviously, but can you become an..."
Honestly, you could become a good programmer, but without actually coding stuff, your bound to make mistakes a lot. You need to use the code along the way to get used to the style and such.

But than again, it can come down to who you are, some people need 'hands on experience'(in this case, actually coding on the pc as they learn) and some people can just read and understand the new information without ever messing around with it. So I believe you can program effeciently without testing and fooling around with the program code on a pc. Just the experience working with the code could help you understand the language quicker and better since your using it.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-09-09, 02:30 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Can you learn programming strictly from..."
Yes. I learned BASIC, QBASIC, TPascal and TASM purely from books and developed a very efficient coding style from it. I was at the head of my class by the time I actually took a programming class. When I took Computer Science in high school, all I gained was yet another language.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-09-18, 06:46 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Can you learn programming strictly from..."
Programming is just understanding. If you practice, you gain understanding. If you read books, you gain understanding as well. I'm guessing a little bit of everything is good, but I don't think any of those "rules" are set in stone.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2004-09-18, 07:12 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Programming is just understanding. If..."
I got VB 6 for dummies and VB6 from the ground up...only read about half the dummies one and havent started the other one, i suposedly learned c+ at school but if you told me to write a program right now I couldnt....i forgot everything
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight