Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Post "Video Game" consoles that are way out of hand
Posted 2003-06-23, 01:15 AM
in light of the announcement of the new psx, i have decided to make a flame thread for "video game" consoles that are way out of hand. i mean, who buys a video game console to burn dvds or play music? sony and microsoft do not belong on the video game business because they are not video game companies. what happened to the "good old days" when it was just nintendo and sega, real video game companies, making consoles. as of now, nintendo is the only real video game console maker out there. sega left the console business because of the ps2. what is going on here?? is it just me or is the video game business not what is used to be?
Sovereign's REAL sig
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
GameCube is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGameCube is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

GameCube

Posted 2003-06-23, 01:56 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
No, it's not what it used to be anymore. Video games were, at one point, shunned by the "popular masses" and considered a fad, fit only for nerds and children. Now, with the advent of games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Grand Theft Auto, video games in general have become "cool". People apparently freak out about a game with a bland graphics engine and lackluster plot as long as you can kill a hooker or listen to shitty 80's pop in a stolen car.

The fact is, video games in general have become popular. Good games (read: Nintendo Games) are considered kid's fare because the console they support doesn't double as a low end DVD player. Nintendo, in all honesty, put's worlds more attention and effort into creating a brilliant experience than Sony or Microsoft are interested in. Sony and Microsoft are more concerned with flash than substance.

That's why the video game industry is not at all like it once was. Games like Super Mario Sunshine and Animal Crossing get nowhere near the level of respect they deserve, because your average pundit doesn't take the time to pay attention to the intricacies of the game. They want to kill hookers now, and if any original plot or inventive mechanics should get in the way of accomplishing that goal, the game is deemed "kid's fare".

I agree with you wholeheartedly, GC. I am thoroughly disgusted with the current state of affairs in the video game industry. When a pile of smoldering crap like FFX outsells a work of art like Eternal Darkness, I can only weep for the future. Nintendo is the only real shining beacon in an ocean of disappointment.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2003-06-23, 08:08 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
People are amused easily, by such little things. I am with you also, GC, and Raziel.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2003-06-23, 08:32 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
It's always nice to have a built-in DVD player on your console. I sure as hell don't want to spend more money on something that I can get with my console.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-06-23, 09:16 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Raziel, I loved FFX, so kiss my ass. :P

though I haven't played Eternal Darkness and unless it's on PS2, I won't be playing it either.

I like that my ps2 will play dvd's, because now I have two dvd players, one for my tv downstairs and one for the tv upstairs.

we chose the ps2 because of the larger amount of games available than the other two consoles. GameCube does have more "kid" friendly games than the PS2, and I don't mean that in a negative way. Just games that are more substance and less violence.

I'm also not a hard core gamer, so I'm only looking for certain things to fufill my gaming experience. I actually prefer games on the PC, to be honest.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lady Ice is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLady Ice is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Lady Ice

Posted 2003-06-23, 09:46 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
I have all three consoles.

Call me spoiled.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-06-23, 10:04 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Well, I guess I'm spoiled too. I got em all as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2003-06-23, 10:35 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
damn lucky
I use to be a shoe shinner now I sip Aunt Jamima, I go to sleep in Europe and wake back up in China. CLUB 977 The 80's Channel!!!!! -winamp radio is heaven on earth
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
zagggon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenzagggon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

zagggon

Posted 2003-06-23, 12:25 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
I agree with raziel but on the other hand you have to admit gamecube sucks ass.....i mean 98% of gamecube games are for 8 year olds......as you stated they are all fairy stuff like mario / animal crossing....which are games played mostly by kids under 12 ... In Zelda Wind Waker they took one of the best games of all time and turned it into a shit ass game with the worst graphicxs i've ever seen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2003-06-23, 01:21 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Actually, it's a proven fact that it is harder to make a cel-shaded game than a game like the old zeldas.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-06-23, 01:21 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
I refuse to read all that... I just wanted to say...

Long live 'Merc'!

Maybe tonight we'll fly so far away... We'll be lost before the dawn...
Raziel said:
er er LOL
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
DaFrigginDoctah enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDaFrigginDoctah enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

DaFrigginDoctah

Posted 2003-06-23, 05:27 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
KR gamecube games do not ALL suck, metriod prime is a superb game and so is supersmash bros melee
I use to be a shoe shinner now I sip Aunt Jamima, I go to sleep in Europe and wake back up in China. CLUB 977 The 80's Channel!!!!! -winamp radio is heaven on earth
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
zagggon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenzagggon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

zagggon

Posted 2003-06-23, 07:09 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
~* Tosses two coppers in the cup *~

Let's face it, gaming isn't what it used to be. How many of you played D&D way back when level 20 was the highest you could achieve and it took YEARS to do? Gaming companies have started to cater to the lazy and those that are lazy want something to keep their attention...so what do they give them?? More options and better graphics.

They're not much on story lines anymore and they sure as shit aren't much up on music. Some of the best games are still on the lower end systems because of the play value. That's all we had... shitty graphics, decent music, great storyline.

There just aren't many hardcore gamers anymore. The Nintendo, Atari, Clecovision Generations are grown up and the companies have to make way for the younger generations that are hungry for hi tech. Welcome to the outcome.
Pissing me off comes with a waiver.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LadyPhoenix is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLadyPhoenix is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LadyPhoenix

Posted 2003-06-23, 08:27 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Colecovision. LMAO

My Atari 2600 pwned all!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lady Ice is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLady Ice is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Lady Ice

Posted 2003-06-23, 08:46 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Well, soon, video games consols are just gonna be 400 dollar pcs.... if not already
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Eddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenEddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Eddie_Perez

Posted 2003-06-23, 09:04 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
You pay for what you get, though. You pay $400 and get the DVD burner too.
Pissing me off comes with a waiver.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LadyPhoenix is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLadyPhoenix is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LadyPhoenix

Posted 2003-06-23, 09:08 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
CHRONO TRIGGER
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2003-06-24, 01:44 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
fuck
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2003-06-24, 01:46 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Im with you Adam (GameCube). I am so sick and fucking tired of all these systems coming out that have lost all true gaming capabilities and are now just very expensive cd players
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Battlecruiser is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenBattlecruiser is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Battlecruiser

Posted 2003-06-24, 10:48 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
ok, who here is actually gonna buy this monstosity???
Sovereign's REAL sig

Last edited by GameCube; 2003-06-24 at 11:00 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
GameCube is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGameCube is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

GameCube