Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

I had an experience that confirms the coming of idiocracy
Posted 2008-09-16, 08:40 AM
So I was in my CHEM 1225 lab last tuesday, and we were doing a pretty simple experiment that was almost the exact same as the experiment the week before. The week before, we had performed a reaction with various concentrations of the reactants to see what effect that had on the reaction rate. This week, we were doing the same thing, but instead of changing the concentrations, we were changing the temperature. Pretty fucking simple change, IMO. The procedure was nearly identical, and it wasn't hard to read.

We're in pairs in the lab. Luckily, my lab partner isn't a complete artard. However, there was this pair behind us that seemed to be absolutely lost. One of the guys had to keep coming over to us and asking us to do every step of the way, like they needed us to hold their hands or something. Like I said, the procedure was simple, and we had done almost the exact same experiment the week before.

In the experiment, one of the things we were doing was recording the reaction time, with stopwatches. We needed to know how many seconds it took for the reaction to finish. Since the stopwatches gave the time in minutes and seconds (3:22, for example,) we had to convert that to only seconds (202 seconds using the same example.) Well, next thing you know, the guy walks over and I kid you not, I'm not exaggerating in the least, he asks us how to convert from minutes and seconds to seconds.

If you're anything like me, your jaw is probably somewhere on the floor right now. Yes, this really happened, in a college class. Not only a college class, but the second of a 2-class series (you take Chem 1215 the semester before 1225, usually.) On top of that, it was an experiment that we had basically already done the week before (when we also had to record reaction time and convert it.)

What's worse, he had a hard time understanding it when I tried to explain to him how to do it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-16, 09:19 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "I had an experience that confirms the..."
"Lefschetz and Einstein had a running debate for many years. Lefschetz insisted that there was difficult mathematics. Einstein said that there was no difficult mathematics, only stupid mathematicians. I think that the history of mathematics is on the side of Einstein." - Richard Bellman (Eye of the Hurricane, 1984)
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-09-16, 02:15 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting ""Lefschetz and Einstein had a running..."
1 minute = 60 seconds?!?!?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-09-16, 02:23 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "1 minute = 60 seconds?!?!?..."
-Spector- said: [Goto]

I couldn't fail to disagree less.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-09-17, 06:27 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "I had an experience that confirms the..."
Most people are idiots. It's a proven fact.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-09-17, 06:42 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Most people are idiots. It's a proven..."
Maybe he had become dependant on K_A's advice so much that he didn't think anymore on what he asked him
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-09-17, 06:56 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "1 minute = 60 seconds?!?!?..."
-Spector- said: [Goto]
No you fool!

1 Minute = 100 seconds!!!!!!!!! How could anyone not no that!
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-09-18, 01:58 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "No you fool! 1 Minute = 100..."
was he black
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2008-09-18, 01:59 PM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "was he black"
he waz purple
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-10-15, 02:23 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "he waz purple"
WOW, i'm a retard and even I know that 60 seconds= 1min.

Is that guy like, stupid?

or did they just GIVE him his diploma.......
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kyeruu

Posted 2008-10-15, 02:31 PM in reply to kyeruu's post starting "WOW, i'm a retard and even I know that..."
Every week, he's basically the same. He cannot think for himself. I think he lacks the ability to. It gets really frustrating to have him come ask us to hold his hand every week.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-10-18, 09:36 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Every week, he's basically the same. ..."
Sounds like this guy Bret in my Business Stats group. He hardly ever comes to class, and when he does he's hungover. He got a 35 on the last individual test, and a 95 on the group test because Stacey and I do all the work. The stuff isn't rocket science. It seems like it's extremely difficult for him even when we explain it several different ways and use many examples. I'm surprised he got into college. Fun guy to drink with though. Figures.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-10-19, 04:24 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Sounds like this guy Bret in my..."
It sounds like this kid played football at a private high school and passed by copying some poor nerds homework.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
platnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenplatnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

platnum