Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Devil May Cry 1 and 2
Posted 2004-07-15, 08:46 AM
Just got both of them, and let me tell you, I am having a great time playing them. They are actually extremely difficult. The controls take a while to get used to and the combination of buttons needed to effectively play this game is incredible. I've never had so much trouble beating the first few bosses of the game, and I can't wait to see what is in store for me later in the game. BTW, I just got Ifrit a board or two ago.

So, what do you guys think of the games, and do you have any tips for me?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-07-15, 08:48 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "Devil May Cry 1 and 2"
I've only seen some clips of people playing it, and I must say it looks pretty cool.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-07-15, 11:29 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "I've only seen some clips of people..."
I heard that they totally suck...people bash that game left and right...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2004-07-15, 11:56 AM in reply to Hades-Knight's post starting "I heard that they totally suck...people..."
I've only played the second one, so... I can't offer any input on the first one.

On the second, I can't offer any advice, really, because... well... nothing really sticks out in my mind.

Questions and concerns may be directed to www.gamefaqs.com.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-07-15, 03:21 PM in reply to Hades-Knight's post starting "I heard that they totally suck...people..."
Honestly, the main reaosn people probably bash it is because the controls are tough and the bosses are very difficult. After you get the controls down, and the camera angles become normal, the game is phenominal, so far at least.

Oh, and Bob, I was going for more of a discussion based retort, not some other website that has suggested tactics.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-07-16, 01:26 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Honestly, the main reaosn people..."
DMC1 is easily my favorite PS2 game. The gameplay is airtight, the boss design is amazing, the level design and graphical presentation are superb and the game is just overflowing with style and atmosphere.

DMC2 is apparently a hell of a lot less impressive. I haven't bothered to pick it up because everything I've heard about the game has been extremely negative in nature. I might give it a chance at some point, but I'm not counting on it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-07-18, 01:31 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "DMC1 is easily my favorite PS2 game. ..."
My only problems with the game is the infamous RE-like camera angles. Sometimes I feel like I'm shooting at nothing.. This game is definitely kick ass.

What do you mean by "negative in nature"?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2004-07-19, 12:23 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "Devil May Cry 1 and 2"
Every comment I've heard about the game from other people has been one of the following things:

"Dante is no longer cool in DMC2. He barely speaks, and none of his lines are badass or interesting at all. He's dull and boring."

"The levels are too fucking long and quite poorly designed."

"The weapons are lame and generic. Alastor, Ifrit and Sparda do not make the transition to the second game. Instead, they have been replaced with boring, predictable swords with names like 'Vendetta'."

"The long-range weapons are dull too. No cool demonic weapons like the Needle Gun or the badass Nightmare Beta. Just a couple of machine guns, a rocket launcher and some handguns."

"None of Dante's new badass moves are useful in any way. Running up walls was placed into the game solely so you could say "ooh, cool", shooting at multiple targets is basically just in there for flair, and the juggling system has been made into a repetitive bore."

Those are the most prominent complaints that I've heard about the game. Apparently it looks and sounds great, but the gameplay is nothing short of mediocre.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-07-19, 06:40 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Every comment I've heard about the game..."
For one things, I really could care less if Dante doesn't have cool lines anymore, that isn't what made DMC 1 a good game anyway. And if you ask me, the level lengths in DMC 1 are actually way too short. They could use more depth. Sure, the game has 22 levels or so, but half of them literally took less than 5 minutes to beat!

I'll have to see if the hoopla is right or not when I start playing, which should be pretty soon actually.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2004-07-19, 06:46 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "Devil May Cry 1 and 2"
Well, with the pacing of the game, the only appropriate way to design the levels in DMC1 was to make them particularly short. Can you imagine trying to do a level like the sewer level where you fight the Death Scissor for an excess of an hour? That would be unfathomably irritating. That would kill the game. Plus, the whole point to the levels in DMC1 is to beat them as quickly as possible. The faster you are, the more enemies you kill, the more advanced your attack techniques, the less damage you take and the weaker weapons you use grant you a better overall score.

And how can you say that Dante's attitude doesn't really matter? I haven't played DMC2, but I'm genuinely upset to learn that he's a watered down mute in the game, rather than the smarmy wiseass he is in the first one.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-07-19, 11:28 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Well, with the pacing of the game, the..."
I guess I don't see his speeches affecting my gaming experience too much because I don't think he was all that overly badass in this game, talking wise that is. He's got his moments, but there aren't so many of them that I have this overwhelming sense that he is a pompous asshole. A couple times his arrogance shines through beautifully, but only in a small fraction of the game.

I've gotten the idea that speed is a factor in the game, but there are defiintely some boards that it is quite necessary to just kill demons over and over and over again when they dish out a lot of Red Orbs. For example, when you warp into the mirror towards the end of the game, before entering the Underworld, that set of 3 Nobodies (I think that's their name) that you have to fight after getting the Philospher's Stone drop about 450 Red Orbs between the 3 of them. I literally fought them about 20 plus times just to upgrade a lot of my skills and load up on Devil Stars. If that isn't done, I don't see how it is possible to get all the Alacastor and Ifrit skills?

Also, being my first time through, I honestly had a HELL OF A TIME getting use to the controls. Especially after basically only playing HALO on XBox for months on end, the PS2 controller is 100% different for one thing, and the camera angles are a completely different story... I just can't wait for the harder levels, and DMD.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2004-07-19, 01:05 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "I guess I don't see his speeches..."
Just wait untill u finish it and the new more difficult game modes unlock, the last mode makes it the most difficult game I've ever played.

There's a 3rd devil may cry game coming, and it looks like this will kick ass again. http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault...e3_2k4_gi.html
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
undeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenundeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

undeadzombieguy

Posted 2004-07-19, 01:52 PM in reply to undeadzombieguy's post starting "Just wait untill u finish it and the..."
Most excellent, that looks kickass! I actually can't wait for the really hard levels. I'm hoping by that time, everything I use to control Dante will be like clock work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2004-07-21, 01:04 PM in reply to undeadzombieguy's post starting "Just wait untill u finish it and the..."
Oh man, I finally beat Mundus on Normal difficulty and started Hard. I had no idea that you get to keep all the upgrading and weapons you've found throughout the Normal campaign! No wonder people are able to get all the spells and whatnot by the more difficult difficulties. Hard is definitely no joke, and DMD is definitely something that I will not reaching very soon, and when I do get there, may not beat..

I need to get my tactics, maneuvers, and controls down much better to tackle this and DMD. Wish me luck!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2004-07-21, 11:09 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Oh man, I finally beat Mundus on Normal..."
I gave Hard a chance and quit once I reached Nelo Angelo. He was always the toughest opponent for me, and I just couldn't take him down on Hard. I tried about ten fucking times and barely managed to get his health down to half.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-07-22, 10:39 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I gave Hard a chance and quit once I..."
Which Nelo Angelo encounter? Honestly, I've not had one bit of trouble with him yet. If you Trigger Devil Mode, then basically just hack away at him, it not only blocks all his attacks, but it lands a lot of shots as well. It usually only takes 2 Triggers for me take his ass out, and I barely lose any life.

Now, my biggest problem is when 2 or 3 Shadows attack my ass. For instance, right after the first Nelo Angelo, the opening on the next board starts with 2 Shadows, and those fuckers can be quite the pain. I can take out 1 with no problem, but when there are 2, they just move too fast and camera angles kill me because I can't see when they are attacking... I also hate those puppets that have the Shot Gun... 2 or 3 hits from those fuckers and you're basically dead.

I'm only on the 5th board right now on Hard, and it is definitely that, Hard. I can't until DMD mode. That is going to be fun as hell!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2004-07-24, 05:04 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Which Nelo Angelo encounter? ..."
Every Nelo Angelo encounter gave me trouble. I don't know why. I never had as much of a problem with the Shadows or the Death Scythes as I did with that friggin' guy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-07-24, 10:36 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Every Nelo Angelo encounter gave me..."
I'm now realizing that Hard wouldn't be so damn hard if the prices for Devil Stars and Vital Stars didn't go up to 2700 and 4300 Red Orbs, respectively. I'm trying to get all the Blue and Purple Orbs first, then all the Alastor and Ifrit Upgrades, so I have not been able to buy 1 of either Devil or Vital Stars this entire Hard Mode, which as you can guess makes it very difficult...

Right now, I have all Alastor done, and only need Kick13 Level 2 and Inferno for Ifrit. I can also only buy one more Blue and Purple Orb. I'm on Mission 16 or 17 I think now (The first encounter of Nightmare) and it is giving me a hell of a time since I have no Devil or Vital Stars left.. I get so damn close, but I just need a little more life.

Raz, you should take out the game again, put on Alastor, Devil Trigger, and literally just run up to Neo Angelo and hack away. You will not lose, trust me.The only difference on the second encounter is that he can occassionally break up your attack and hit you with his glowing sword, so when it does glow, just Air Hike backwards to avoid it, then start the cycle again. Also, there are two green orbs randomly around the board to help out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2004-07-24, 11:05 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "I'm now realizing that Hard wouldn't be..."
Eh, I've got a lot of other stuff to finish before I go back through that game again. I'm only halfway through Xenogears and I'm already at 40 hours, I haven't even started Tales of Symphonia, I'm still plodding through Four Swords, and by the time I manage to make a dent in any of those games, Pikmin 2 will already be out, quickly followed by Baten Kaitos, Viewtiful Joe 2 and Second Sight. I'd honestly like to go through it again, but I aint gots the time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-07-26, 02:28 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Eh, I've got a lot of other stuff to..."
the 2 games are simply fun on the bun
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
xWolfPack69 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenxWolfPack69 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

xWolfPack69