Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Gotta keep 'em around
Posted 2007-04-04, 08:50 AM
Activity has been on the uprise lately. I think this is just because of recent events here at Zelaron. I want to try to keep it this way, make it even better, make it how things were 2 years ago where even the best spammers might have had trouble keeping up with the new posts on a good day.

One thing that has been going on for a long while now, which I've taken part in, is the bashing of new members. I've realized that doing so is only doubly hurting our current activity problem.

Looking at it from the eyes of a visitor, I probably wouldn't join these forums, simply because they have nothing to offer to someone who is new to the community. The reason we all stick around is because we know each other, we've made friends and enemies here, we're part of the community. An outsider only sees a bunch of people posting nonsense at random hours through the day.

But say a visitor does decide to join the community. They then get bashed until everyone on the forums hates them. Sadly, that wont keep them around.

I'm proposing that we stop doing this all together. I understand that in some cases it's almost necessary, but bashing someone just because they don't post how we'd like for them to post will just make them stop posting all together.

The best example of this that I can come up with is Mjordan. Mjordan used to type like a little girl in an AOL chatroom. I bashed him for it almost constantly at one point. Luckily, Mjordan didn't really give a shit about what I had to say, so he actually stuck around. He could have just as easily left the forums if everyone else jumped on the bandwagon, and then we wouldn't have the very intelligent poster we have today.

I propose we give these people a bit more of a chance. Perhaps we should explain to them that this isn't a chatroom and certain standards are somewhat expected here as far as spelling and grammar goes. There's no telling how many Mjordans we've ran off because everyone was bashing them and nobody gave them a chance.

You're probably thinking to yourself, "But !K_A!, you're one of the main people that's been doing it!" You're right, and that's the reason I've decided to make this thread, I'm hoping that since I'm one of the main ones doing it, if I speak out about stopping it you guys will listen to what I've got to say.

New posters can change their spelling and grammar habits. We can change the fact that Zelaron activity has been on the decline for at least a year now. I've had many ideas on how to improve the activity problem we're having, and I believe at least a couple of these ideas are going to be implemented by the administration sometime soon. But don't leave the problem in the hands of the administration, do your part in welcoming new members with open arms.

Thanks for your time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-04, 10:57 AM in reply to Dar_Win's post starting ". here's my 10 characters you dick"
Let's not turn this into a Kyeruu bashing thread. We all know Kyeruu is a fag, you can leave that shit out of this thread thanks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-04, 11:24 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Gotta keep 'em around"
I'm with you, K_A, we should give them a chance. They may just end up surprising us in the long run.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-04-04, 12:00 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "I'm with you, K_A, we should give them..."
Kagom will break 'em in
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-04-04, 01:34 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Kagom will break 'em in ;)"
No.

But in regards to the post, do you guys remember how I was when I first got here? I've matured a little bit and don't act like an idiot all the time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-04-04, 09:53 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Let's not turn this into a Kyeruu..."
Second post made me want to agree with this thread, seems like a good idea.
!King_Amazon! said:
Just ask the married chick he fucked.

Who Delivers ten times out of ten?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MightyJoe

Posted 2007-04-08, 01:22 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Kagom will break 'em in ;)"
LOL i think that was a little assholish man.

Kagom, you're alright.

and I agree, K_A. I dont really bash people bc i havnt been around a lot but thats gonna change I really like this place i'm gonna post a lot more.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2007-04-08, 06:34 PM in reply to slaynish's post starting "LOL i think that was a little assholish..."
Bashing is ok in the flame area. But outside of that it shouldnt be allowed. Grav made that apparent to me awhile ago and banned me for a day or something like that. Now i dont do it unless its in the flame area
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-04-08, 06:37 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "Bashing is ok in the flame area. But..."
Even bashing newcomers in the flame forum should be avoided if possible. A new member might not understand how the flame forum works, and might actually take things you say personally and leave because of it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-09, 07:43 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Even bashing newcomers in the flame..."
I understand that but when was the last time i ever bashed somebody? I only go after people that deserve it, or know that i am just messing around
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY